Tournament Highlight Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournament Highlight Video

HIghlight video from a NYC area inhouse tournament I competed in on 12/04/04. Thanks to Sean Alvarez and Rob Gutierrez for a great day. Much respect for all those who competed.........

http://www.teamgroundcontrol.com/pag...HIGHLIGHTS.wmv
    Last edited by Arm Triangle; 12/22/2004 8:37am, .

Sweet!

Comment

Berry cool. Thanks for posting it.

How big was the tournament?

Comment

good stuff there, how'd you do? or which one are you on the vid?
        "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Comment

Nicely put together.

Comment

The tournament was between just a few NY schools where a lot of guys knew each other. As a plus, we all know each other a bit better now. I would say about 25 men and ladies competed in GI and NO-GI and we all had a great time.

I was so proud of my schoolmates....they all did so good. That guy "jumping mount" and the guy doing that awesome "duck under" takedown are my classmates. My instructor, Danny Suarez, fought as well and we were all very proud of ourselves and how far he has taken us.

I had one match in GI and one match in NO-GI and lost by one advantage point in both matches. I played a very conservative game because I was nervous and I really needed to open up more......more confidence next time! I am the guy in the black GI in the very last clip.
            Last edited by Arm Triangle; 12/22/2004 8:46am, .

Comment

Which schools from NY participated?

Comment

Nicht Schlecht!!! Warst du da? :surprised
                :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
                Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
                Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

Ground Control
                  Progressive Martial Arts
                  Combined Martial Arts

Comment

As sappy as it is, it really warms my heart to see people from different MA clubs get together and train. I . . . I have something in my eye, I have to go -

Comment

Was this your first competition? If it was congratulations on getting in there and mixing it up. I will have my first competition next month if my Sensei thinks I am ready. Good Video and good post.

Comment

Yes, it was my first tournament and I was real nervous! I went right to half guard and maintained that position throughout my 6 minute match. I went for a choke, tried a reversal, and attemped to sweep but all were misses....in retrospect I should have opened up a bit more and just "went for it" as I was well prepared technically and should have trusted in my abilities. My match was a 0-0 score but I lost to a 3-2 advantage point.....if I had only opened the half guard and pushed hard for a sweep in the closing seconds.......next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Arm Triangle
                          Yes, it was my first tournament and I was real nervous! I went right to half guard and maintained that position throughout my 6 minute match. I went for a choke, tried a reversal, and attemped to sweep but all were misses....in retrospect I should have opened up a bit more and just "went for it" as I was well prepared technically and should have trusted in my abilities. My match was a 0-0 score but I lost to a 3-2 advantage point.....if I had only opened the half guard and pushed hard for a sweep in the closing seconds.......next time.
                          Ahhh, the infamous half guard of yours that you were talking about in previous posts! Yeah, staying in this position in a tournament is not going to get you the win. Open it up my brotha and go for some subs. Personally I give a crap about points in a tournament setting and always go for the subs. Attack attack attack... Good job though and you WILL do better in the future! :5bowtie:

p.s. Next time get some friggen video, trust me... ten years from now you'll wish you did!
                          :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
                          Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
                          Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Comment

Originally posted by Arm Triangle

Ahh there you have it..taht's the beauty of competing you learn so much everytime.

Comment

Yes, Red......I have the tournament on video......I was actually videotaping the whole thing and had a friend video my match. You are right, having your matches on tape is nice.

Yes, my half guard is sick......only my instructor can seem to pass it......now I am working on sweeps/transitions from there and I am doing well. For a 6'3'' 255 pound guy I play a pretty passive bottom game but you are right though, in tournaments it is better to play a more agressive game and try to stay on top.

I wish I knew how to put video tape material onto the computer.....I would link my match.....it was pretty exciting, the place was cheering.

Comment

Working...
                              X