Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyokushin or san shou in Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyokushin or san shou in Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Anyone know of kyokushin or sanshou/sanda in the metroplex that isnt a mcdojo? Thanks.

I saw a guy there that trained in a kickboxing studio that did san shou I believe he fought 185 lbs. was African American. Don't remember the name of the studio but he was pretty good.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Comment

Anyone know of kyokushin or sanshou/sanda in the metroplex that isnt a mcdojo? Thanks.

Nope, only schools i know of are TKD, BJJ/Muay Thai and Isshinryu and they look pretty legit.

Edited by - Travis X on January 30 2003 17:24:26

Comment

Ive trained in MT for a while, but the other 2 styles look pretty cool, san shou more than anything. I think Ill just go back to MT, the school I go to is pretty cool. Actually I might try the MT & vale tudo at Mohlers BJJ, they look better than anything. Anyone else go there?

Comment

I'm thinking about going to Mohlers BJJ myself, if you have any questions about Mohlers, ask Carbon and k-diddy they go there.

Comment

Ive trained up there before in muay thai and watched the vale tudo class. Everyone seemed real nice and knew what they're talking about. My only problem is the 35-45 min drive. Right now I train in MT in Arlington but I just want a change of pace. Ill probably end up splitting time between both. If you're thinking of going and have the time and $, I would. Dont take my word for it, you could probably get a couple free classes.

Comment

http://www.blackbeltprofiles.com/FRONTPGE1.HTM

has some stuff on Kyokushin and other karate info, including a forum-here is their ft worth list:

Business Name Address City Phone

Fort Worth
              American Dragons Academy
              6630 Rufe Snow Dr
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 581-1897

American Karate & Self Defense
              6001 River Oaks Blvd
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 763-5633

Authentic Kung-Fu
              7519 Chapel Ave # C
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 244-2347

Bruce Lee's Jkd
              415 N Hampton St
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 870-1127

Center Of Martial Art Virtues
              6120 Watauga Rd
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 281-4252

Fort Worth Judo Club
              3000 Cullen St
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 244-9012

Fort Worth Karate Academy
              3420 SW Loop 820
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 927-5425

Karate Center
              6242 Hulen Bend Blvd
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 263-5272

Little Gym
              6295 Old Granbury Rd
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 346-9655

Lone Star Martial Arts
              4513 Williams Rd
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 738-0688

Model Mugging Of Texas
              5812 Bonanza Dr
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 656-0051

Mohler Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
              1401 S Sylvania Ave
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 332-7128

Ronquillo's Institute-Karate
              710 W Richmond Ave
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 927-5551

S W Academy Of Martial Arts
              5753 Westcreek Dr
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 263-0924

Swagerty American Karate
              3435 Altamesa Blvd
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 292-9271

Thaine Mc Vean American Acadmy
              8141 Highway 80 W
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 244-6373

Tom Mathews Taekwondo Plus
              5338 Rufe Snow Dr
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 581-6075

Won Park Institute Inc
              7908 W Elizabeth Ln
              Fort Worth, TX
              (817) 244-6720

and these guys are in austin, and they mite know of a local instructor-and they hold full contact tourneys, could be fun as we all know austin has music and culture and the rest of texas?

http://www.enshin-karate-texas.com/sabaki_challenge.htm

I, called the kempo school, for instance, in colorado to find if they had any branches or knew of any Chinese Kempo or Kajukenbo BBs working out in my area, and they did.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
              "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Thai Boxer,

Do you train at Master Yang's school?

Comment

I havent been lately because of work/school/sick. I just saw they changed the schedule so its going to a lot easier for me to go. Plus Im going to go to UTA so I might be moving down the street from Yangs. Probably going to be too far from Mohlers though, Yangs is a good school besides.

Edited by - Thai Boxer on February 07 2003 11:23:33

Comment

Thanks for the info patfromlogan, Ill check it out.

Comment

They have some good Judo schools.
                      And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

Model Mugging Of Texas! now that sounds like a school we'd all like to check out. I hadn't read the list that I posted,I just pasted it, just perhaps maybe one or two might be mcdojo's, I started out Japanese (Wado-ryu and Shotokan) then spent years in kempo (Kajukenbo and American Kenpo) and then many years in Japanese (Kyokushin) and now I'm leaning back to kempo and I think that more important than style is to find friendly, good hearted people that happen to know good techniques and work out hard.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
                        "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

I've been going to Mohler's for about a year, I like it quite a bit but I just do BJJ so I couldn't tell you about the MT, but it seems pretty popular. I like the people there a lot, real friendly atmosphere. I'm trying to go to more Vale Tudo as well for a change of pace.

FYI, it sounds like you've been there before but they moved a few months ago to Valley Ranch which might be closer to Arlington (off McArther north of 635) It's a pretty good drive for me as well, which is why I can't make it out of work in time for class as often as I'd like.

Comment

Working...
                          X