Edges2 Training Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edges2 Training Blades

Bob at http://www.trainingblades.com recently sent me three samples of his work to review. They appear here:

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/edges.htm

They're good training blades, of aluminum with cord wraps (like the excellent Ray Dionaldo Warrior Craft blades I previously reviewed).

I've also written a brief companion piece for all the training knife reviews on the "Continuum of Training Blades:"

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/continuum.htm

Enjoy.

The only problem with aluminum blades is that you cant practice stabs with them. I like to trained in those cheap rubber blades for stab responses.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

I own two of the training blades, I practice stabs all the time the tips are rounded. I am looking at NO-LIE BLADES the site is nolieblades.com they have felt edges and comes with marking ink for the edges so you can see where the cut would be.

Of course this hurts, after all it is not basket weaving.
      ----------------------------------------
      After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Comment

Personally I thinks the best knife is a sharpen letter opener. It is flat, cheap, repliable, and a lot of assassin has been done with a knife similar to letter opener. Also if it break or something, it won't be a big deal because it can be replace easily. Beside the letter opener, my favorite knive company is Cold Steel but I perfec to practice with wood knife or bokken. It can still hurt but not pierce skin or anything unless you REALLY try. So I would say that every knives are good for different person and situation.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
        I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

The "continuum of training blades" article addresses the appropriate uses for different types of blades. For example, I advocate using only soft rubber knives for active sparring against another person.

Comment

One problem I have with rubber knife is it bend... If it is wood, it can be knock out of hand that is holding it, use to hold the knife by its side (not something to try in real knife fighting), and moves that require the knife to be stiff. Silat, Esmrica, and some ninjustu school reply on clapping the blade out of someone hand (probably best disarm technique but you would end up with a cut on hand) or taking advantage of the blade shape and stiffness.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
            I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

That is why the article specifically mentions using rigid trainers for training disarms.

Comment

Oh I got it. I thought it was real at first and tried to enter the site but failed at that time. So I decide to give it another try and it work. This seems like a excellent balde to train with. I probably would buy it if I run a dojo or do a lot of seminar/demo or something.

Comment

Aluminum blades can be dangerous but work well NO-LIE BLADES the site is nolieblades.com they have felt edges and comes with marking ink for the edges I find to be great. You soon will see something like NO-LIE BLADES but instead of ink you well get shocked the pain is level can be adjusted I have seen them at demonstration they work well because if you get touch by the blade you pay the price so you're mindset is like you're going to get cut because you feel discomfort of pain.

Comment

I have a Sharkee (www.sharkee.com). It was cheap, took less than a week to arrive, looks cool and is great to train with.

The NoLies stuff is nice, but a but pricy.

(board breaks with a kick)
                    "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
                    -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
                    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

I reviewed the Sharkee blades, too.

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/sharkee.htm

Edited by - Sharp Phil on January 29 2003 06:41:03

Comment

http://www.philelmore.com
                        I was just on your site, I like it allot some real good stuff on it. I thought the Kungfool part was right on the money.JP knows all about KFss when KFss first put his site up on Yahoo he took the SCARS home page word for word Pic for Pic I informed JP & SCARS of this.I guess KFss isn't that smart if he does know you can't copy sites. I know a letter was send to KFss by JP & SCARS lawyers to refrain from using the SCARS home page so he had to redo his whole page over LOL.Which he feels I got JP pissed at him and now theirs bad blood between them.If he only knew the JP thought he was in his own words a "WANNABE" before his site was on yahoo & Delphi.Even SCARS hates him pretty sad! Ok, Sorry I got off topic.

Comment

My knife trainers match my favorite carry knives. Most frequently used are;

Black CAT Tanto - glass/nylon combo (http://www.coldsteel.com/index-b.html) -I use sandpaper to take the edge and point off for training purposes.

Aluminum dbl edge blade with wood handle

Edges2 Spyderco trainer

Spyderco folding trainer (expensive, not sure worth the price)

Wood dagger

Tangential note: You can use crayon/cheap lipstick on the edges for any training knife.

Comment

Do you know that a bokken can cut cleanly through a limbs? My Insanto's student insturctor carry it around all of the time and it can get nasty lol

Comment

Interesting site Sharp Phil, i'll check it later, what is your opinion on utilising any and all types of blades (kitchen, combat,stanley knives etc)? and focusing more on targeting, angling, drills, passing the blade,with a variety of different blade weights, handles and edges , so as to build in less "preference" for one type of feel/handle/weight/size etc?

Certain blades are more suited to "icepick" grip, other blades are much better for quick figure 8 slashes, other blades again seem to be easier for thrusting or passing.

IS this a valid point (using many different types of edges weapons for similar drills/angles/combos) in your opinion?

As far as training disarms, i just use a wooden or rubber knife, and focus more on correct technique and subtle stuff instead .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X