Belts and military rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belts and military rank

On another board I found these two posts...
    There are quite a few excellent arts/schools in existance that do not use belt ranking systems, or even uniforms for that matter.

To my knowledge, many if not most Hsing-I/Bagua/Tai-Chi schools (traditional Chinese Taoist internal arts) do not use them. They are also absent in Systema (Russian martial art).

Does anyone know if there is any historical corelation/relationship between belt ranks and military ranks? This would seem to be an obvious link given that many of these arts originated to be used on battlefields.
    followed by
    i believe there is a correlation, my best friend is in the marines LCPL, he has shown his instructors his skill multiple times and has even met with the founders of the marine corp martial arts, and if he was of higher rank than corporal he would already have his black belt as he has 13 years of kenpo experience and is the best fighter i know, but they won't allow low ranking marines to be black belts
    So, are people going to take it in turns to point and laugh? I'm staying quiet as a)I'm english, and b) I know bugger all about the military
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

That is quite a lot of bull.

There is NO relationship between belt rank and military rank.

The belt system that is popular today comes from KANO, we all know that. I got the idea from watching swimmers at the university he was teaching at. Supposedly they group the different level of swimmers by the color of their swimming caps. Before the DAN/KYU system of ranking most japanese schools used only three levels of rank that pretty much went along the lines of NOVICE, APPRENTICE, TEACHER.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Asia

The real uestion is:
      Where the heck did this guy got his idea from ???

Amir

Comment

The little men who live in his teeth?

(board breaks with a kick)
        "Is that it? I feel like I should bow, or have honor or something."
        -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Once More, With Feeling"
        Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Just found this link to the Marine Martial Arts handbook
          http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/sncoa/Downloads/Russel/Martial%20Arts%20Handout.doc
          Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X