X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UFC and steroids?

Hi all,

more UFC questions!
    I saw a recent PPV with Kevin Randleman where he was 30lbs lighter than the last time I saw him.

The commentator made a comment that he was 'fighting at a more natural weight' - a not very vague reference to steroid use.

On another website (that I went to from a link provided here in a thread) an article was up about Mark Kerr and steroid use.

So what happened?
    Did these guys get busted or did UFC/MMA introduce testing?
    Anyone else mysteriously turn up 20-30lbs lighter ?

--------
    Master of Lay Ze Do
    --------

Edited by - fingerormoon? on January 22 2003 20:47:56
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Those mongoloids shoot up more juice than a burn victim in an ICU. Just my tasteless comment of the day, cheers.

~
    delirious

Comment

%100 of those guys are dong some form of steroid.

Trust me.
      "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

How do steroids make you 30 lbs. lighter?
        I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Comment

No Carbon, they stopped using them.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
          Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

It's not just UFC fighters -- apparently K-1 doesn't test at all.

For an obvious example or use, look at what happened a couple of years ago to LeBanner's weight and muscle in the space of about six months. Apparently he made no secret of the former-Iron-Curtain coach and training he was using.

But really (and I've never used them), if you've got a choice between just running a crappy little dojo and being a top-level pro, aren't you at least going to give 'roids some serious thought?

Comment

oops, make that "example *of* use"

Comment

What's ironic is that with all the use going on in pro MMA, the only person to have been busted was chubby Josh Barnett.

But like many have said, it was more than likely a political move, because if they really did start testing everyone, we'd have to get Harold Howard and Fred Ettish back in the ring for a lack of talent.

Comment

Phrost wrote:

"we'd have to get Harold Howard and Fred Ettish back in the ring for a lack of talent."

It's funny cause it's true!

Muay Thai Rule #1 - Knock the mother out!

Comment

GO FRED GO!!!

Y'know, I think I'd rather see it 100% natural. I find I don't really CONNECT with the fighters when I watch them, much the same way people get discouraged when they weight train and don't end up looking like the roid-heads in the gym.

Wouldn't you rather see the edges of NATURAL human ability pushed?

Regards,
                    CrimsonTiger

"I would never, in my life, wear black silk underwear" -Classic JCVD
                    Regards,
                    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
                    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
                    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

But the problem is, CT, where do you draw the line on what is "Natural".

Many suppliments you can get over the counter are "natural", and they can contain steroid precursors just as likely to get you ripped.

So do your fighters stop taking suppliments?

Science is always pushing the limits of what the human body can do, so by "natural" do you mean the fighter should not train using the latest knowledge of body mechanics?

I'm just asking for the sake of argument. Being "natural" means many different things to many different people. A lot of bodybuilders claim being "natural" even though they spend $400 a month at GNC.

Food for thought.

Comment

The steroid problem is pretty complicated. There's strong evidence that the Olympics are still riddled with steroid use, despite drug testing; detection and inspection can't keep pace with advances in the various drugs.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
                        Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

I actually work with sports supplments and I would never use steroids or prohormones because of all the side effects like bitch tits, shrinking balls, overly aggressive and acne. However the more natural stuff like creatine can give you very goo results. Like creatine, HMB, and your usual assortment of protein powders. There are also natural anabolics (methoxy and ecdysterone) that have the same kind of results as steroids but without the side effects, they are pretty new though so a couple of years down the line people may have a different view on these natural anabolics. Check out http://eas.com

Comment

Admin (Phrost, whoever...choose a damn identity!),

You raise the same point I encountered in the gym, even against my own brother when he went onto Creatine and some other supplements.

I'll be honest with you, in my mind, unless you can get it from eating actual foods, it shouldn't be part of your regiment. (obviously that's a broad statement and unenforcible) But generally anything that isn't directly obtained from "natural" food shouldn't be considered "natural". Just the same way I couldn't blame someone for using good biomechanics, but I could blame someone for having extra bone inplanted in their forearms and shins. *shrug*

Obviously it's subjective. But in my mind, everything comes with a price. If you need a bazillion grams of protein to get huge, you should need to get it from it's associated sources and ingested. If you can't fit that into your day along with training, etc., then it was obviously never intended as part of the natural cycle of anything.

If I come up with a better definition, I'll post it (I know you'll be waiting!) but for now, that's the best I can think of.

Regards,
                            CrimsonTiger

"I would never, in my life, wear black silk underwear" -Classic JCVD

P.S. Think of it like this...would UFC be as exciting without all the supplements/drugs? If not, then it's now becoming "sport entertainment" and not the actual conflict of humanity that we love to see. If it doesn't really affect it, then why is it necessary? Esthetics?

Edited by - CrimsonTiger on January 23 2003 15:12:43
                            Regards,
                            CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
                            One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
                            Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

I've taken steroids man, theres nothing wrong with it. If you cycle like a MOTHERFUKKER and shoot shiit into your ass every DAY its bad, but there is a proper way to do them.

Theres a big difference between steroid USE and steroid ABUSE.
                              "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X