Bujinkan dojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bujinkan dojo

I am wonder if anyone know anythings about Bujinkan dojo and if it is any good?

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Depends.

Many still push the MYSTIC NINJA image others are more realistic. Very few actually teach NINJUTSU man just teach non ninjutsu ryuha.

Ralph Severs school in Dallas focuses on FIGHTING and heavy sparring.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Damn... it is hard to find a good dojo presentday

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
      I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

Well, look for the dojo's certified under Soke Hatsumi. This is no garantte, but its a good start.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
        those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
        Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Comment

Why do you want to learn Budo Taijutsu?

I think it depends heavily on the school anyway, but the common prob with Bujinkan schools is that most of them THEORISE heavily, but never spar fullcontact(the BEST way to learn).

Give it a go, but always be honest with yourself, no matter how impressive your instructor may seem. Anyone can seem deadly and good, in a real situation it is a different matter.

Comment

but what about ashida kim's style??? He even has a video on his site www.ashidakim.com called "dancing ninja masters" , apparently:

"It is a method of "dancing" with the enemy. Of, stepping out of the way and letting him fall down. This is due to the fact that the enemy/partner does not know he is dancing. He thinks he is in a fight."

its black dragon ninja, yeah thats right BLACK dragon.

Ashida sez that Soke Hatsumi is "much like" himself, but I dont know if hatsumi was fortunate enough to have learnt from count dante, or is an "authorised member" of the "black dragon fighting society".

Just buy some tabi boots and take it from there.

Comment

I am not sure if I want to learn from the Bujinkan dojo. However if the school doesn't have any contact spars, I am not gonna to attend it. I am just looking around for a good dojo right now, so far only one I find that I am interest in are Toddy Muay Thai and Shotokan Karate. However I am looking for Kyoushin Karate but cannot find any in my place. It seems like my city is basically overrun by karate/kempo and TKD McDojo which really sucks. Right now I am thinking about secretly going to both school.

Comment

fatality dragon,

as a guy who spent a yr in the bujinkan with a highly reputed instructor, this is my honest to god advice.

it depends on what type of person you are. If you are a person who enjoys culture, learning interesting things etc, bujinkan won't fail you.

If you want to be a good fighter, look for something else. Reason being that Budo Taijutsu teaches using the 'kata' method(a la traditional jujitsu, two man choreography). This is not a good way to learn unless you are too old for heavy sparring.

I would advise very strongly that you do the Muay Thai.

Comment

I completely agree with frankdooks here, If you go to the BUjinkan, you will:
                  a) pay a lot of $$ for classes
                  b) have to buy a black gi, and many "training weapons" as well as normal stuff like mouthguards etc,
                  c)learn a lot of historical/academic and japanese language stuff
                  d)as frankdooks said, learn many "fundamental" katas performed as 2 man drills,
                  e)get hit in the neck A LOT, and have pressure points painfully applied regularly, as well as be locked up, thrown, choked and otherwise brutally dealt with, WITHOUT DOING HARDLY ANY REGULAR PHYSICAL CONDITIONING (like you would in muay thai, boxing, kyokushin etc)
                  f)learn traditional names, terms, etiquette, history, philosophy and have seperate techniques explained for painfully long amounts of time.
                  g)you will never spar
                  h)then there are the books, videos, newletters, training camps and other assorted regalia.

As frankdooks said, if you are a person who enjoys culture and learning many interesting things great, or if you seek or have a career in law enforcment, military or personal protection / security - then great as well.

Check out www.kabuto.nu (massive site) or www.ninpo.org (this one has old scrolls on it)

Personally I also agree with frankdooks and say DO THE MUAY THAI. No disrespect to bujinkan, but from what I have seen, IN AN UNARMED FIGHT most muay thai guys would elbow, knee cross jab rip and round kick the living shit out of the bujinkan guys I saw and trained with . THEY HAD NO CONDITIONING, NO COMBINATION SKILLS, NO SPARRING ABILITIES But aside from that thier weapons skills and tactical strategic/historical and military strategy skills were great.

Comment

oh and BTW did I mention the politics?

Comment

Wow... this is SO hard... I would really like to learn about Bujinkan culture.... but I would rather to do physical conditioning and heavy sparring instead. Well... I guess I will just check out Toddy Muay Thai school and hope kyoushin karate school show up in Las Vegas soon. But bad thing is I don't thinks Toddy really like me. The first time I came up to him and tried to talk to him he didn't seems too happy about the idea of having me in his class. However if he is like that again, FINE I WILL JOIN AND I WILL WORK SO HARD THAT I WILL END UP KICK ALL OF HIS STUDENT'S ASS AND EARN HIS RESPECT!

Comment

Are you in the las Vegas area? You might want to take a look at http://www.cmnorules.com/
                        He teaches a San Soo/BJJ mix. They go to tournaments all the time. From what I hear, he's a good teacher too.

Comment

*Sigh* that is REALLY far from my home... But I have rode for a hour and half just to arrive to a dojo before. The website seems good So I am willing to go and check out to make sure that it have everythings I want and if it does and the price seems fair, I am willing to go all way over there and practice. Thank you for the information, Brand.

Comment

You're welcome. I hope you find something!

Comment

Hello all,

Well, I have never trained in the Bujinkan, so understand this is purely my impression. It may be completely off.

To quote a rather interesting thread I found at E-Budo (though the person appears to have withdrawn his original opinion):

The Bujinkan was first introduced to mainstream America by (now) Shihan Stephen K. Hayes in 1975. So, it has been roughly 26 years. Since 1975 when the number of Shidoshi could becounted on your fingers (maybe using one hand twice), there have gone from about 12 -15 shidoshi, to over 1,000 shidoshi.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=cbe684449512b2eb3e58f93992992f8e& amp;threadid=16246

I've heard quite a few other people say this about the Bujinkan as well, but I guess it really is hard to tell.

Perhaps the Genbukan or the Jinenkan would be more to your liking? They seem a little more rigorous (I know next to nothing about the Jinenkan though, except they don't have many dojos).

Even if what I'm saying is true, the Bujinkan is probably still a good school if you could find the right instructor (then again, isn't that always the case?). Don't expect to spar much though. I got a peak into why sparring with Ninjutsu (or Budo Taijutsu, or Ninpo, or whatever the latest terminology dictates. Sorry, it's 3AM and I'm feeling stressed because I'm not a fucking Budo dictionary) would be extremely hard, if not downright dangerous. Just take my word on this one, it would be a bad idea if you incorporated the wrong things into your repertoire, got into an intense sparring match, and did something stupid in the absence of thought (and or the prevailing of muscle memory).

"Gee, sorry about the brain hemorrhaging, man. Who would have guessed that actually works?!" I don't think that would make a very good excuse. I just don't. Furthermore, whether the technique can applied in a fight or not is not what you should really worry about in a sparring match (in this case). What you should worry about is what happens if the technique DOES work as it's supposed, and is applied on YOU.

Well, I'm of the belief that sparring is not crucially important. Upon hearing it, I recently took the more logical position that 100% confidence in technique is more important than any "speed training," sparring, or the like. Different strokes though, I suppose.

Anyway, if you took some time to train in the Bujinkan, or any of the "kan" schools, I'm sure you would not regret it. I'm sure as hell not the authority though.

Again, I have not trained in any of the three. This is purely what I have seen. Take it for what you will, but you might be better off to ask students from the respective schools.

I'm sure on some planet your style is quite impressive, but your weak link is: This is Earth.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X