No announcement yet.

San Da , anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw a clip, how about you show up at the Mega Throwdown this January in Las Vegas and see for yourself first hand?

I've fought in Amateur NHB. What's your experience?

Comment

Phrost you seem to have an agenda. Las Vegas is a bit far for me to travel to.

Comment

My agenda (here) is only to demonstrate effective Martial Arts and self defense techniques in order to help people protect themselves from both harm at the hands of potential attackers, and exploitation and fraud at the hands of unscrupulous martial arts instructors peddling dangerously impractical techniques as practical.

The site serves as a forum for critical examination of the Martial Arts, by Martial Artists, in the service of this agenda. The Throwdowns (see the forum of the same name) serve for us to get together face-to-face to both define and demonstrate what is effective within various styles, and seperate the real Martial Artists from the keyboard warriors.

Comment

UnarmedBoxer sounds like Strangler/KillerInstinct, any of the moderators would bother to check this out?
          "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
          - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Originally posted by The Wastrel
            What the hell, I'll give it another shot.

I seem to recall a lot of defense of John Wang awhile back for one.

Oh , so you went and put your hands on JohnWang ? Or some of his students ? Or you sent someone to do so that you respect the Opinion of ? John Wang has proved himself in Full Contact matches , likeley more than you ever will . He has , as well , an open door , according to the last time that Bullshido members visited Emptyflower . Dont tell me how you didnt like some Video, all that means is that hes bad at making hollywood . And tont tell me how his technique "Wouldnt Work" until youve beaten it . Or at the LEASE happened to have EXPERIENCED it ! YOu have no Idea whatsoever wether or not someone in your weightclass wold DESTROY you with the same hours in at JW's school .

But you act as if they would be a pushover .

Oh , and JW isnt even the Seinor man - David Lin out of Atlanta is . Weve Bullshido Alumns in Atlanta do we not ? Several in fact ? Any of them could test Sifu Lin , Im sure .

It's not about joint manipulation. Just like striking isn't about the shape of one's fist.
            Stiking isnt all about Fists , youre correct , but they ARE a huge and Intergral part ... IF im using a Phoenix Eye , a Palm or a Leopard's paw Im going to use each in different Situations , with different Powers , stances , levels , Guards , on diff opponents .... there is a WHOLE lot revealed by the fist than just the fact that youre going to throw a punch . In the End it IS about Joint Manipulation , its just not ALL about it . But thinking that the Part cant reval a GREAT DEAL about the whole is insanity . And that was JUST a bloody EXAMPLE , you look at other things too .

Perhaps you just need to learn how to look ? Muay Thay , Hapkido , Taekwondo , Shotokan - they all throw Round kicks , and if you learn how to look , you can see the differences . By that same token , you can also see the progressions where they lie , and the similairities .

Likewise your understanding of groundfighting, folk/freestyle wrestling, Greco-Roman wrestling, etc. But wait, I forgot....Having a background in CMAs automatically equips you with a qualified opinion on all aspects of fighting arts. The same is not true for any other system however....
            No , living in this country and training with people does . Having them Throw moves at me that I recognise from my Formative years and defend against them does . You see , you THINK - you WANT - fir us to b on a Level Playing Ground here , you think that you know as much about CMA as I do about MMA-Friendly systems ? NO BLOODY WAY man ! Im SUROUNDED by them , Judo is EVERYWHERE , and if you think that in the last 25 years that Ive not trained with Judoka then youre HIGH , if you think that living in the states for the last 15 years that ive not gotten on a Wrestling mat or two , then youre HIGH . Ill wager that I did more rounds of Boxing in my 18th year than youve done in your Lifetime . And while I was using what I know , I was following Boxing Rules , and fighting against BOXERS . I WATCH Boxing , Wrestling , and Judo whenever I can , Pan Ams , Olympics , whatever comes on ESPN9 WHENEVER it comes on . We have Boxers , Wrestlers , BJJ Players ex AND CURRENT in my school , and many OTHER CMA schools . While its OBVIOUS that Good CMA is hidden from your Sight , good Wrestling and Boxings EVERYWHERE in mine . THATS why its funny when you laugh off when myself and others like Omar tell you that the Techs are there , and we work on Standing Grappling as much or more than anyone because we SEE what you do , and you PRESUME to know what it is that we do not .

So go out , meet John Wang (or your nearest Counterpart) and try to throw him . Then come talk to me about it . Dont tell me about what you saw on the Internet , or on television .

So now Taiji even has a version of the Fireman's Carry that is superior to that learned by freestyle wrestlers in at least two countries.

Superior ? I wouldnt jump to such a Conclusion . Perhaps not for Wrestling . But its certainly superior in Nuance for what Imn training . And it works better Synergystically with what Im trying to achieve . NTM that its got less Pitfalls , like being Less Crucifix-Prone . Im going to AGAIN steal from Omar here and say that things in MA dont EVOLVE , they ADAPT to the current need .

I'm not making that argument. If search were working I could pull up a multitude of posts where I argue exactly what appears in your post. "CMAs" has to be the most useless categorization by nation that exists. I was merely entertaining the supposition for the sake of discussion.
            To argue the validity/amount of Grappling youre going to have to narrow it further .

Yes I know, and no I'm not impressed. And yet again we witness the Djimbe paradox: no one may critique anything that might have a Chinese origin if they have not studied it at least one day longer than D has, and yet he is qualified to make sweeping judgments of arts that he has no experience in. Which is it, Djimbe?

Actually , youre running into your own problem , that you presume yourself at all times to be the best informed person in the room , and you think that because you know nothing about CMA due to it being almost nonexistant in a positive state that I know nothing about what Im readily surrounded by . Neither is the case here , frankly . If you would like some possible good outlets i would be happy to Direct you , if you just tell me the city and state that you live in , I believe its Northern Cali , no ? Then you can see for yourself in leiu of running down that which you do not understand .

You basically said "The Grappling In Eagle Claw Sucks" . Now , in the stead of just defending your position from a position of knowledge , expaining what school you mean , and yuour reasoning , you cop out and go all Ad Homenim-ie on my ass ! You see , when I make a statement like " I dont like Mantis Footwork , you can BET that I can narrow it down to one of the dozen mantis types out there , and at least explain what it is that I dont like about it , and not bitch out by attacking the person that said "Oh , what dont you like about it ?" Oh , you can wager that Ive sparred more than one practitioner form one school , as well !

Oh man, you are making a sweeping generalization based on place of origin! You broke the rule!
            Actually , no , I was being very specific and referring only to the people that had actually manifested the tendancy . Nice try tho . I actually know plenty of NA San Da ppl that move just like Chinese ones . Theyr the more Talented , however , to be able to disregard the Media Influences .

I meant now, and I was speaking particularly about freestyle wrestling.
            Now, then , whenever . Stiill a silly statement . What about Senegalese Wrestling ? Sumo ? That Ghey Turkish stuff where theyre digging about in each other s Trousers (is that standing - well , SOMETHINGS 'standing') Irish (?) Back Wrestling , Mongolian Wrestling ... Please tell us your Experience with those , as well ! (I have Senegal on my Passport , and theres NOT a WHOLE lot to do there after Drumming , so Ill know if youre making things up)

Comment

Phrost :

(Time to Razz the Giant Floating Head - SHIELDS UP !)

In all fairness , you didnt really do most of the fighting in that match , but you got in the ring ....

Youll battle next time .

But seriously :

We actually saw one of those moved youre chiding being used in that Jean Silva clip , IIRC . And hey , Ive seen ppl Tap to worse than that , besides , at least there were being Inroads made . You really going to look at that and then when they fix it claim that its now BJJ ?

But anyway , My point was only that its all Fruit of the Qinna Tree , and WE ARE ALL ONE !!!! </Genki>

Comment

Originally posted by Djimbe
                That Ghey Turkish stuff where theyre digging about in each other s Trousers (is that standing - well , SOMETHINGS 'standing')
                Are you being racist, homophobic, or just a general bigot there?

Also, how come you haven't posted up those sanda pics you put up on Cyberkwoon yet, Omar? Or do you not reckon they're relevant to this dicussion?
                Last edited by slideyfoot; 10/23/2004 6:17am, .
                BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

I was thinking about it but it's not EXACTLY relevent to the discussion.. . or at least it doesn't really dispute anything being said here. I was prompted to put them up at cyberkwoon by that dubass statement about Chinese sanda fighters being clad in protective gear from head to toe. I posted a couple of them once in the techniques section to get some names for the crazier throws.

What the heck. Here's a link to the page of the other thread where I put the pics and the links to the other pics.

http://www.cyberkwoon.com/forum/view...=asc&start=690

And here's at least ONE of the pics. A personal favorite:

Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Originally posted by slideyfoot
                    Are you being racist, homophobic, or just a general bigot there?

Also, how come you haven't posted up those sanda pics you put up on Cyberkwoon yet, Omar? Or do you not reckon they're relevant to this dicussion?

If you feel that Im being any or all of the above , feel free to follow this link , and click on each pic, then come back with a better depiction of whats happening . Oh , and I dont think that defining Ghey things AS gay is "Homophobic" . Oiling yourself heavily for the express purpose of spending a leisurly afternoon sensuously reaching inside other mens pants is , well , pretty damned gay .

http://www.turkishwrestling.com/images/tf03-1.htm

And its the sole Grappling system in the world wich deems this productive to "battle" .
                    Last edited by Djimbe; 10/23/2004 8:21am, .

Comment

He obviously hasn't seen the pic.
                      Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

appearantly not

Comment

I've seen the pics before, I simply feel driven by a misplaced sense of nationalism to pipe up whenever anyone mentions Turkey. :toothy11:
                          BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

oh , well , at least you admit it !

But nah , i was less on the "Turkish" and more on the "Wrestling" . I dont know any other name for it tho , and come on , its REALLY gay ...

Comment

Originally posted by Djimbe
                              I dont really understand what youre getting at here . You said that Wrestling Techs arent allowed . I pointed out ones that Ive scored with . Im not a Wrestler , but I could do them cleanly enough , even as a kid , to get the points . Whats the Issue ? That they dont allow Halfassed techs ?
                              They allow some wrestling techniques as long a they aren't done like a wrestler would do them. Wrestlers often get to the ground before their opponent does. It is pretty clear that you were never a wrestler. The takedowns I see in san shou or san da are rather...pathetic.
                              "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar

What the heck. Here's a link to the page of the other thread where I put the pics and the links to the other pics.
                                And you claim that San Da isn't modeled after Muay Thai?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the chinese finally decided to train in what works.
                                "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X