Judo Self Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judo Self Defense

What do you think of Judo in terms of self defence(ie real life situation)? They always utilise the Judogi.

I am so tired of foolish people who have never trained in judo (for any length of time) assuming that all of judo requires a gi to be effective. There are MANY MANY throws which do not require a gi, and MOST throws which do can be easily modified to work without a gi if you have a brain. Submissions are submissions wherever you learn them. People bitch and moan about gi chokes. Well...I've had more success with shirt chokes than I have had with gi chokes and most judoka don't even bother with gi chokes anyway.

And for all you jackasses who keep on with the "you don't wear a gi 24/7" line, well you don't walk around shirtless in training shorts all the time either.

Is judo PERFECT for self defense? No. But neither is ANYTHING else. Can judo be modified to be effective self defense? easily.

edit: oh yeah and most fights wind up in a clinch BEFORE they go to the ground and nobody in their right mind wants to clinch with a judoka.

Edited by - Fisting Kittens on January 12 2003 20:49:20

Comment

i like to use under hooks and find it very effective with Submission wrestling.
      Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
      -Styles i train in-
      Judo
      Bjj
      Mtkickboxing
      Western boxing
      Wrestling

Comment

Gi training is to learn how to use clothing. BJJ schools and maybe a few Judo schools do no-gi training (well with rash guards) to show how to use it if they have ungrabable clothes....

Oh, those self-defence kata are bull-shit. Any pre-arranged self defence is just bullshit.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
        <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
        Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

I have used Judo in real situtation and find it extremely effictive. I like the throws and holding, they always works for me. It also allows me to take person down without hurting the person, which is a MUST. I also have sparred with a judo black belt before and actually lose to him. I would say Judo is a very respectable martial arts and a very well around martial arts. Basically I thinks physical education in schools should teach the students some Judo for in case they need to control someone or defense themself or someone. It can be adjust to be non lethal but effective or be lethalous as

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
          I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

>They always utilise the Judogi

No they don't

______
            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
            ______
            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

I don't do Judo,
              and have only a brief introduction from it when we had some seminars. Yet I wouldn't discount any Judoka knowledge of for S.D.

As for the Gi, in most cases one has other options, much less comfortable to the recipient. And if you are referring to chokes, my Sensei (he teaches Judo as well as Korindo Aikido & Karate) says he tested them with T-shirts and it worked perfectly most of the times, the T-shirt wasn't even torn. I can testify to choking people with T-shirt in practice too (though I did it during Korindo Aikido practice - a slightly different technique most times).

Amir

Comment

lol @ judo requirubg the GI - anyway, people wear clothes on the street - there's almost alway some piece of clothing to grapple with.

It's a far more effective self defence system than just about every martial art out there (NOT sport fighting systems, but Traditional Martial Arts (TMA)), especially more effective than say shotokan karate in my opinion.
                "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

The only reason its more effective is because it deals with a range that most brawls naturally end up in, ie. standing grappling. Other TMAs that deal with that range are equally effective (if trained properly). Granted, Judo by its very nature trains that range properly, so I'll grudgingly admit it has the edge.
                  Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Shotokan if you are using judo in a real life situation for self defense I think in most situations its useful. Like face to face unarmed confronation. I other situations I dont know? It depends on the situation. Its great to learn if you are into mix martial arts.

PEACE!
                    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

i disagree, there are many others, even others style of karate - really just Kyokushin - that are beter - no one in MMA or K1 does shotokan to my knowledge.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

I am so tired of foolish people who have never trained in judo (for any length of time) assuming that all of judo requires a gi to be effective. There are MANY MANY throws which do not require a gi, and MOST throws which do can be easily modified to work without a gi if you have a brain.
                        CAn you name those MANY MANY throws?

Comment

shotokan, I dont do judo but I know for sure that the basic hip-toss/throw can be done with no gi, there is another move where you grapple, hold then use your legs to "scissor" the other person's legs, taking your opponent to the ground (hopefully.) They're just two I can think off. Also, any tripping move - you can tie up, then just sweep the leg, pulling the person over your leg (though possibly move of a wrestling tie-up would be required.)

Edited by - Blade Windu on January 14 2003 00:17:13

Comment

seoinage, ogoshi, osotogari, ouchigari, ukigoshi, koshigaruma, uranage, sasae tsuri komi ashi, kosotogar, etc. Thats just a few. I could go on and on and on.

edit: Have you ever even SEEN judo?

Edited by - Fisting Kittens on January 14 2003 00:15:53

Comment

I don't know any japanese name for any of Judo moves. I just know few american name for it but don't know any more. I know there are hip toss, head throw, and few other things. Who care if you know the name as long as you know how to use it effectively.

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
                              I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X