The Almighty Dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Almighty Dollar

Seeing as McDojo's are primarily motivated by greed, it's probably reasonable to assume that the higher the cost of the classes, the higher the risk of the place being a McDojo. Having said that, what do you out there in internet land think is a reasonable price, whether it be lesson to lesson, weekly, monthly, or even annual fees (which would definitely raise warning flags anyway)?

Also, if you don't specify a currency I'll just assume US$.
    I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

I would say about 100-120 is average for bjj

Comment

I assume that's by the month. How many lessons a week, if so?

Comment

I pay 100 for three days a week. But the amount that I would pay depends on the quality of instruction. Very high quality instruction is hard to find. It can be worth a lot.

Comment

I wanted to ask the same question...

Some Dojos offer only a certian amount of classes a week for the monthly price, some offer only a certain amount of hours per week.

The 2 dojos near my house, one offers 85$ for Kung fu/tkd lessons, 2 class hours per week, 2 classes a week, or $75 for 2 class hours of Filipino Martial Arts...per month...

You add $50 per extra class type..

i.e if oyu want to add TKD to your FMA it'd be $130 or so, then $180 for Kung Fu, TKD, and FMA...and so on..

Then theres a Kempo one that does $150 for the first month, for gi, etc. and then $85 a month after that, and (last i checked) as many classes of whatever they teach a week/month.

Comment

I would say about 5 lessons a week is average(nighttime lessons). The place I currently go has something like 12 classes a week that I could go to. It's 100 a month

Comment

I never understood BJJ...In an interview he said his father had to adapt Juijitsu for small people, yet the japanese are small people. It makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Reikon
                I never understood BJJ...In an interview he said his father had to adapt Juijitsu for small people, yet the japanese are small people. It makes no sense.
                You're retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                  Seeing as McDojo's are primarily motivated by greed, it's probably reasonable to assume that the higher the cost of the classes, the higher the risk of the place being a McDojo.
                  BJJ is about expensive as it gets.
                  Yeah, I was careful to leave the terms fairly uncertain. I pay AU$67 for 4 lessons a week, which is a reduced (junior) fee, because I help my instructor out with the kids (actually, $67 is the cost for 3 lessons/week, but I'm really the only person who turns up 4/4 days). The senior fees are $100 for 3 lessons a week.

Is there any reason why BJJ is often more expensive than other MA's?
                  Last edited by Kayne; 10/17/2004 9:34pm, .

Comment

No...not for small people against larger people. He just plain said adapt the techniques for smaller people to use.

BTW, I was quoting gracie, so don't freak out on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Reikon
                      No...not for small people against larger people. He just plain said adapt the techniques for smaller people to use.

BTW, I was quoting gracie, so don't freak out on me.
                      The implication is that the tool-set is applicable for small people against larger opponents. You do realize that even if you accept the belief that the Japanese are considered a small people, that they do vary in size relative to one another, right?

Comment

My new school costs the same as my last one did, has a year-long contract paid up front and the facilities are much smaller. The difference is that there aren't 900+ students and I can actually respect my fellow classmates.

Price is not indicative of a McDojo. Profit margins are.
                        Originally posted by The Wastrel
                        I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Of course, however, overall, the japanese are a small people. Average height for a male I think is 5' 6" and less...

BTW, What's the standing on the Gracies? I don't know that much about them..I just heard a small interview and thats it. If anyone wants to PM me more info on BJJ feel free.

Comment

Yeah i tried that...didn't come up with much.

Comment

Your google-fu is weak.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X