Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some guy running a mcdojo and his views on kids with blackbelts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• callmetrinity
    replied
    Do we have a place where all of these McDojo sites are listed in one basket?

Leave a comment:

• Red Elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by Punisher
    If I am phyiscally attacked my primary goal will be to run and escape the threat. I'm still pretty athletic and I can run pretty far and fast, so I feel I've fairly good odds of making it....

So you see, in my view, fighting is the last in a long, unlikely chain of events. IMO, developing fighting skills only marginally increases my overall safety and is like a bad insurance policy. Spending thousands of dollars and countless hours of time training, simply for the reason that I MIGHT be attacked SOMEDAY by a person who wants to seriously hurt me, that I can't buy off, that I can't out run, that I can't out fight naturually, that won't stop until I maimed or dead, is an ineffcient use of time and resources.
    I agree and disagree. This is what works for you and I and a lot of other people on this website. Let's not forget the people who take self defense who truly need it who can't runaway etc.

FBI Crime Statistics for Los Angeles 2002 (Crimes that were reported):

Murder/Manslaughter - 654
    Forcible Rape - 1,415
    Robbery - 17,997
    Agravated Assault - 32,429
    Burglary - 25,374
    Theft - 79,813
    Motor Vehicle Theft - 34,110

Didn't look at Detroit or Washington D.C. but I suspect they are comparible or worse.

If somone is a MA school and they claim to teach self defense... they damn well better teach it and not short change people into a false sense of security. Truth in advertising... :5hot:

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Then she will learn the ONE WAY that everyone learns and never forgets.
    By experience.
    No the the best way in terms of what can happen to her, but, as youknow, many people can only learn, the "hard way".

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    They way I see it, if you have been doing ANY MA for any amout of time and haven't come to the conclusion wither it works or not, chances are you have never gotten into a fight, so, maybe you don't need MA for "self defense", so maybe, it doesn't matter...

( Playing devils advocate here, as you know, I think ANY MA that doesn't work should be extinct).

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    People who still believe that a Black Belt is a Master, or the BS about registriing your hands, or the NASA moon landing ( :thebirdma ) ), deserve what they get !!

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied
    Originally posted by ronin69
    Nowadays, Black Belts mean abou as much as High School diplomas.
    I don't think anyone gives them any weight anymore, especially if its some 13 year old 4th degree...know whatI mean ?

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Nowadays, Black Belts mean abou as much as High School diplomas.
    I don't think anyone gives them any weight anymore, especially if its some 13 year old 4th degree...know whatI mean ?

I think most people are aware that, its about how long you have done it, and how old you are.
    Not what is holding your gi closed.

Leave a comment:

• WingChun Lawyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Broadsword2004
    replied
    To me, kiddies should not be allowed to attain black belts.

As for fighting, I like what this one guy said when asked about good fighting techniques: "Learn to hit fuckin' hard."

No matter what you teach a little kid, you can't condition them for real fighting; if I ever teach a school, I'll probably have to be rich cuz my students will have strict requirements for conditioning and fighting ability and such for the various belts, meaning I won't have too many students.

Leave a comment:

• Reikon
    replied
    Or it's an Ex-Wife...XD

I'm not so worried I'll be attacked/abducted/robber/maimed, etc. to carry a weapon on me. Though I do carry a folding knife, it's mostly for opening stuff/as a tool.

Leave a comment:

• Punisher
    replied
    Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
    I'm not sure I agree 100%. If you carry about a weapon, you wouldn't have the option of possibly defending yourself while limiting the kind of harm that you inflict on your attacker, and thus you could be more open for legal problems later. If I have no clue about hand to hand combat but carry about a S&W .38, and then some unarmed person tries to beat me up, if I shot him then I would have "disparity of force" in my disfavor. If I knew nothing about hand to hand, though, I wouldn't be able to fight him very effectively short of using the .38.

Secondly, I think that nonlethal self defense tools are greatly facilitated if you have hand to hand training. If I carry about a pepper spray dispenser but have no clue about hand to hand, I could be slow on the draw and be pretty helpless if my attacker closed the distance and grabbed my weapon arm. But if I am good at hand to hand the pepper spray would be much more effective as a supplement to my hand to hand abilities.
    The thing is I don't think most people need hand to hand abilities or any special measures to protect themselves from attack or harm. At least I feel I don't.

I'm almost 30, and I've only been physically attacked twice in my life. I feel the odds of me being attacked are pretty small, and there are many more important things to worry about in my daily life.

If someone were to attack me, they would likely be wanting something. My first action would be to comply with what they want, within reason. If what they want is to hurt or kill me, something I feel is unlikely, I will have to take other actions.

If I am phyiscally attacked my primary goal will be to run and escape the threat. I'm still pretty athletic and I can run pretty far and fast, so I feel I've fairly good odds of making it.

If for some reason escape is not an option I will fight, but only until escape is an option.

Even if I lose the fight, the odds of me actually ending up dead or permantely injured are pretty small.

So you see, in my view, fighting is the last in a long, unlikely chain of events. IMO, developing fighting skills only marginally increases my overall safety and is like a bad insurance policy. Spending thousands of dollars and countless hours of time training, simply for the reason that I MIGHT be attacked SOMEDAY by a person who wants to seriously hurt me, that I can't buy off, that I can't out run, that I can't out fight naturually, that won't stop until I maimed or dead, is an ineffcient use of time and resources.

Leave a comment:

• Wounded Ronin
    replied
    Originally posted by Punisher

The only people I can think of that would take martial arts out of a necessity of knowing how to fight are professional fighters, law enforcement, and soilders. If personal self defense is your main priority there are many easier and more economical ways of doing that.
    I'm not sure I agree 100%. If you carry about a weapon, you wouldn't have the option of possibly defending yourself while limiting the kind of harm that you inflict on your attacker, and thus you could be more open for legal problems later. If I have no clue about hand to hand combat but carry about a S&W .38, and then some unarmed person tries to beat me up, if I shot him then I would have "disparity of force" in my disfavor. If I knew nothing about hand to hand, though, I wouldn't be able to fight him very effectively short of using the .38.

Secondly, I think that nonlethal self defense tools are greatly facilitated if you have hand to hand training. If I carry about a pepper spray dispenser but have no clue about hand to hand, I could be slow on the draw and be pretty helpless if my attacker closed the distance and grabbed my weapon arm. But if I am good at hand to hand the pepper spray would be much more effective as a supplement to my hand to hand abilities.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X