Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some guy running a mcdojo and his views on kids with blackbelts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VD
    Sorry to wreck your common misconception but martial arts is about fighting. The spiritual growth bullshit (a.k.a. bushido) was slapped on much later and has nothing at all to do with neither combat nor the feudal samurai. Yet you see legions of martial artists today imposing the "strict samurai code of honor" on themselves and thinking they're better than everyone else. Well guess what - they're not. I train traditional martial arts where I regularly come across these muppets, and modern martial arts where I meet normal people. The only difference is that the pious wannabe-samurais are harder to reach, because they hide behind some impenetrable mental shield, scared to death of revealing their true nature. Anyhow, the bottom line is that martial arts is about surviving in a combat situation. Ethics is an entirely separate thing and belongs in the philosophy class. Don't try to mix the two and justify sucking in one by claiming to be good in the other.
    Originally posted by VD
    Shumagorath:
    I believe Funakoshi meant that you need to become a skilled fighter, but use your skills responsibly. There are about as many views on moral teaching as there are schools, and some take it to ridiculous extremes.

As for realistic fighting, TMAs are as the name implies traditional, and they have traces of things like someone attacking you with a sword. Not relevant in the context of modern day, but they do teach you the same basic principles that are present in all combat, armed or not. It's not nearly as realistic nor efficient as going to MT class, but that's a conscious choice. Over time you will develop street fighting skills, but it takes longer because you're learning other things as well. It wouldn't be much of a traditional art if it ditched all the traditional stuff...
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...9&page=2&pp=40
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
      From the bottom of the first page.
      technically they aren't belts XD

Comment

Originally posted by VD
        Sorry to wreck your common misconception but martial arts is about fighting. The spiritual growth bullshit (a.k.a. bushido) was slapped on much later and has nothing at all to do with neither combat nor the feudal samurai.
        What were the original intents of martial arts and what has that to do with today? Spirituality, culture, sport entertainment, personal growth, community, fitness, athleticism, etc... are all valid reasons to take maritial arts because they often offer these things. What's the problem with that? MMA is as much about sport entertainment if not more so; plenty of CMA's are as much concerned with tradition, form, and philosophy as with anything. The days of the deadly martial arts as defender of the emperor and fist of the empire are gone. This change in purpose doesn't make MA's invalid. Eastern spiritual diaspora found a vehicle through martial arts. So be it.

Comment

Originally posted by VD
          Sorry to wreck your common misconception but martial arts is about fighting. The spiritual growth bullshit (a.k.a. bushido) was slapped on much later and has nothing at all to do with neither combat nor the feudal samurai. Yet you see legions of martial artists today imposing the "strict samurai code of honor" on themselves and thinking they're better than everyone else. Well guess what - they're not. I train traditional martial arts where I regularly come across these muppets, and modern martial arts where I meet normal people. The only difference is that the pious wannabe-samurais are harder to reach, because they hide behind some impenetrable mental shield, scared to death of revealing their true nature. Anyhow, the bottom line is that martial arts is about surviving in a combat situation. Ethics is an entirely separate thing and belongs in the philosophy class. Don't try to mix the two and justify sucking in one by claiming to be good in the other.

I wasn't talking about ethics. I didn't say anything about philosophy, bushido, or fuedal samurai. Martial arts today exist mainly for sports and recreation. That's just the fact of the matter. Different martial arts have more or less emphasis on developing fighting skills then others, some don't have very much at all.

The only people I can think of that would take martial arts out of a necessity of knowing how to fight are professional fighters, law enforcement, and soilders. If personal self defense is your main priority there are many easier and more economical ways of doing that.

Comment

A sifu said to me if you wanna learn to really fight nowadays just exercise your index (trigger) finger.

Comment

MMA is not fighting. close to it but its not. I personally wud like to see more NHB and UFC crap where they include furniture in the ring and have 3 on 1 fights. Like maybe have a bar ring where theres a bar and stools and glass bottles. then 3 guys can kill silva... thats even closer to fighting but still its not. Fighting and anythign with rules are not the same.

By that definition TMAs are farthest from real fighting.

so now eveyrone does it for fun.

end of story.

FUN.

Comment

Does knowing TMA make me a fighter? Nope

Does knowing TMA help not get my ass handed to me as much? Yup

Comment

Originally posted by Punisher

The only people I can think of that would take martial arts out of a necessity of knowing how to fight are professional fighters, law enforcement, and soilders. If personal self defense is your main priority there are many easier and more economical ways of doing that.
                  I'm not sure I agree 100%. If you carry about a weapon, you wouldn't have the option of possibly defending yourself while limiting the kind of harm that you inflict on your attacker, and thus you could be more open for legal problems later. If I have no clue about hand to hand combat but carry about a S&W .38, and then some unarmed person tries to beat me up, if I shot him then I would have "disparity of force" in my disfavor. If I knew nothing about hand to hand, though, I wouldn't be able to fight him very effectively short of using the .38.

Secondly, I think that nonlethal self defense tools are greatly facilitated if you have hand to hand training. If I carry about a pepper spray dispenser but have no clue about hand to hand, I could be slow on the draw and be pretty helpless if my attacker closed the distance and grabbed my weapon arm. But if I am good at hand to hand the pepper spray would be much more effective as a supplement to my hand to hand abilities.
                  Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                    I'm not sure I agree 100%. If you carry about a weapon, you wouldn't have the option of possibly defending yourself while limiting the kind of harm that you inflict on your attacker, and thus you could be more open for legal problems later. If I have no clue about hand to hand combat but carry about a S&W .38, and then some unarmed person tries to beat me up, if I shot him then I would have "disparity of force" in my disfavor. If I knew nothing about hand to hand, though, I wouldn't be able to fight him very effectively short of using the .38.

Secondly, I think that nonlethal self defense tools are greatly facilitated if you have hand to hand training. If I carry about a pepper spray dispenser but have no clue about hand to hand, I could be slow on the draw and be pretty helpless if my attacker closed the distance and grabbed my weapon arm. But if I am good at hand to hand the pepper spray would be much more effective as a supplement to my hand to hand abilities.
                    The thing is I don't think most people need hand to hand abilities or any special measures to protect themselves from attack or harm. At least I feel I don't.

I'm almost 30, and I've only been physically attacked twice in my life. I feel the odds of me being attacked are pretty small, and there are many more important things to worry about in my daily life.

If someone were to attack me, they would likely be wanting something. My first action would be to comply with what they want, within reason. If what they want is to hurt or kill me, something I feel is unlikely, I will have to take other actions.

If I am phyiscally attacked my primary goal will be to run and escape the threat. I'm still pretty athletic and I can run pretty far and fast, so I feel I've fairly good odds of making it.

If for some reason escape is not an option I will fight, but only until escape is an option.

Even if I lose the fight, the odds of me actually ending up dead or permantely injured are pretty small.

So you see, in my view, fighting is the last in a long, unlikely chain of events. IMO, developing fighting skills only marginally increases my overall safety and is like a bad insurance policy. Spending thousands of dollars and countless hours of time training, simply for the reason that I MIGHT be attacked SOMEDAY by a person who wants to seriously hurt me, that I can't buy off, that I can't out run, that I can't out fight naturually, that won't stop until I maimed or dead, is an ineffcient use of time and resources.

Comment

Or it's an Ex-Wife...XD

I'm not so worried I'll be attacked/abducted/robber/maimed, etc. to carry a weapon on me. Though I do carry a folding knife, it's mostly for opening stuff/as a tool.

Comment

To me, kiddies should not be allowed to attain black belts.

As for fighting, I like what this one guy said when asked about good fighting techniques: "Learn to hit fuckin' hard."

No matter what you teach a little kid, you can't condition them for real fighting; if I ever teach a school, I'll probably have to be rich cuz my students will have strict requirements for conditioning and fighting ability and such for the various belts, meaning I won't have too many students.

Comment

That civilisation may not sink,
                          Its great battle lost,
                          Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                          To a distant post;
                          Our master Caesar is in the tent
                          Where the maps are spread,
                          His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                          A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Nowadays, Black Belts mean abou as much as High School diplomas.
                            I don't think anyone gives them any weight anymore, especially if its some 13 year old 4th degree...know whatI mean ?

I think most people are aware that, its about how long you have done it, and how old you are.
                            Not what is holding your gi closed.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
                              Nowadays, Black Belts mean abou as much as High School diplomas.
                              I don't think anyone gives them any weight anymore, especially if its some 13 year old 4th degree...know whatI mean ?
                              That civilisation may not sink,
                              Its great battle lost,
                              Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                              To a distant post;
                              Our master Caesar is in the tent
                              Where the maps are spread,
                              His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                              A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

People who still believe that a Black Belt is a Master, or the BS about registriing your hands, or the NASA moon landing ( :thebirdma ) ), deserve what they get !!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X