Real life experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real life experience?

I'm sorry if there are other threads on this; apparently I'm search impaired, cause I can't find 'em.

I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks, and I've seen countless arguements that MMA is the best because it covers the most ranges, etc, and that makes some sense. I've never trained MMA, but I can see the point, and it's a good one.

But I'm more and more confused as I look through this site, watch clips from throwdowns, etc. Some of the stuff I'm seeing might make sense in a one on one ring confrontation, but I wonder if I'd feel the same in a parking lot. Has anyone had real life experience where they needed to use their MA to defend their life?

Did the training pay off? Do ANY of these arts actually work when it's for real, someone or several someones want to hurt you and you can't just tap/quit?

I just wonder because there is an awful lot on this website about what works and what doesn't. Some people say they know. I don't. I'd like to hear about some real life examples, if anyone cares to share.
    Originally posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

I find hitting people very hard is an excellent means of fighting.

Comment

So, Indestructible, any chance on more details than that?
      Originally posted by pauli
      i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
      I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

Re: Real life experience?

Originally posted by Feryk

But I'm more and more confused as I look through this site, watch clips from throwdowns, etc. Some of the stuff I'm seeing might make sense in a one on one ring confrontation, but I wonder if I'd feel the same in a parking lot.
        go and find out

Boris
        London

Comment

There's an excellent thread on mma.tv on the Underground about fighting with stories from pro-mma fighters, as well as a very funny story about Randy Couture and Dan Henderson taking on a group of bouncers. I think the thread is titled "I love fight stories"

Comment

I've looked around for it, sounds interesting, can anyone give me a link to that thread?

Comment

Originally posted by indestructible
              I find hitting people very hard is an excellent means of fighting.
              Yes, I've found that works...

Comment

The reason MMA is good for a self defense situation is because in MMA, you're going against someone trying their damndest to beat the shit out of you. Which is what you'll be facing against an attacker in a parking lot. True, it doesn't train weapons or mulitple attackers.... but first of all, those are "other" scenarios, and second of all, very few arts train those facets effectively.
                Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

Once I punched a guy in the face, and he and his two friends ran away.

Comment

My brother has used his MMA training a couple of times in real life, and it was strictly MMA that helped him. One time a guy jersey'ed him and started punching him. My brother body-locked him, slammed him, mounted and started throwing forearms, then stomped him.

I gave a friend the Gracie Basics tape set and he did a textbook takedown-mount-punch-armbar in a barfight.

So I have to say, I think MMA training works well for self-defence.

Comment

Originally posted by TaeBo_Master
                      True, it doesn't train weapons or mulitple attackers.... but first of all, those are "other" scenarios, and second of all, very few arts train those facets effectively.

What do you mean by "other" scenarios?
                      Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

I hurt somebody's feelings once with a d34dly chi blast.

Comment

I once left my keyboard.
                          Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

interesting reading those threads. see a lot of old faces
                            Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X