Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's list all martial arts that work....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's list all martial arts that work....

hi
    I'm interested to know your thoughts on which martial arts have kept their realism and have not lost it to egotistical ideals or fraudulent beliefs. Please don't just state a general style, state the exact style and if you can any details about governing bodies and instructors.

I think ITF taekwondo is a good example of a martial art i don't take seriously. As far as i see it, the general wasn't qualified to create the system in the first place and never prooved his techniques worked publicly. Also, the systems basis is in shotokan karate which in itself was extremely altered to fit modern japenese society and views (made for school system and army). Techniques were removed and changed and it has lots its original focus and heritage. Never the less, it's not all bad. The general did believe in what he was doing and may have created a system with some merit which is well thought out...

Please remember the above is just an example and its merely my point of view, let's not focus on that.

Instead let's state which martial arts do contain their original heritage and/ or have been proven to be effectice. At the same time, please state any weaknesses you think the system might have. It would also be better if your point of view came from experience with the martial art.

Thanks for any replies!

Traditional Wing Chun is very effective. It has been criticized as being too "fixed" (most notably by Bruce Lee), but I don't find it so.

Comment

"You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
      YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

This is how it all starts.

Comment

The way it's taught nowadays is too fixed, but it shouldn't be.

Styles where a majority of techniques are effective (this may not be complete). Also keep in mind that this is referring to the way these are taught NOW not the way they were taught hundreds of years ago..

Boxing, Freestyle Wrestling, Greco-Roman Wrestling, Folkstyle Wrestling, Escrima, Muay Thai, Bando, Kyokushin Karate, Enshin Karate, Ashihara Karate, Seido Kaikan Karate (same as Kyokushin?), Brazilian Jujitsu, Sambo, Judo, International-style kickboxing, American Kickboxing, Shui Chao, Jeet Kune Do / Jun Fan - JKD Nucleus and JKD Concepts, anything taught by Geoff Thompson, Shooto, Tae Kwon Do taught by Triad Taekwondo (amazingly, they enter MMA contests and actually win!)

A.K.A MEAT

Comment

Dig this!

The arts back in the time did not charge coin, so in the day it was about warfare - hard core training - Street G. Many schools that sing the song of the arts now has changed some what to the times. Many have sold out, in all styles.

The warriors code was sold out for the financial gain!! Dude that's BIZ The American Way!

So that is the answer to the Bungle from the jungle!

Comment

"hi
              I'm interested to know your thoughts on which martial arts have kept their realism and have not lost it to egotistical ideals or fraudulent beliefs."

ahh...troll free...but hush! whats this?!!

"I think ITF taekwondo is a good example of a martial art i don't take seriously"

brilliant!!

Comment

Hmm... Arts that have lost it to egotistical ideals or fraudulent beliefs but can still occasionally be found in their pure, bullshit free form - aikido and tai chi. You score 20 points for each one of these rare beasts you spot in the field.

[edit] Nearly forgot to say, "Flame On!"

Edited by - SamHarber on January 03 2003 10:00:27
                Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Quote: "Hmm... Arts that have lost it to egotistical ideals or fraudulent beliefs but can still occasionally be found in their pure, bullshit free form - aikido and tai chi. "

I'll believe it when I see it. If I see someone actually use "Grand Ultimate Fist" and prove it works, then personally my doubt is settled. Until then, Tai Chi, as it is taught in year 2003, is not a martial art. It's an excersize.

Likewise, aikido is something I'd like to see pulled off for real, other than when police swarm on some scumbag. The only time I've seen Aikido techs work at all is when more than one cop tries to subdue a suspect or when a suspect cooperates.

Overall, I don't think you will EVER find Aikido or Tai Chi in a "pure, bullshit free" form anymore.

A.K.A MEAT

Comment

Also, you have to remember that many of these countries have histories of repression. Both Japan and China went through periods where practicing martial arts led to your death...which meant they had to keep it hush-hush. This INEVITABLY led to a watering-down of the art since it couldn't be TRAINED the way it should have been. The Manchurians, the Communists, the Americans...much TRUE knowledge has been lost due to regimes such as these. Most of the arts ONLY survived because they became "essence" arts (Do). So regardless of what you are training, if you are MAKING IT WORK, you're adding and rebuilding a respository of knowledge that was once lost. Just remember and be proud of that.

Regards,
                    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
                    Regards,
                    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
                    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
                    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

Overall, I don't think you will EVER find Aikido or Tai Chi in a "pure, bullshit free" form anymore.
                      They are both very rare, but I consider the two classes I attend to be bullshit free. The aikido class is on the fringes of its parent style, likely to be excomunicated for its heresies, and the TaiChi class actually encourages us to throw punches and kicks at each other, and otherwise spar to test what we're doing.
                      Classes like these are so rare to find though, I'm not surprised by, or even disagree with peoples dismissive attitudes.
                      Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Sorry if I'm such a skeptic, but everyone says that their own school is the only one that is bullshit free.

Does your school compete full-contact? If not, why not? Do you know of anyone that has had to use it outside of competition? If so, against who? Do you know for absolutely certain?

If your school does do full contact sparring, how hard? Is it light contact or full-contact?

A.K.A MEAT

Comment

what qualifies as light contact?

Actually, what qualifies as full contact? Surely if two people spar as if their lifes depended on it, 99% of fights would end in serious injury?

In wado I think the official term for our type of sparring is "semi-full contact". We wear (at least the lower ranking students do) shin protection and gloves and pretty much all moves are allowed as long as you make sure not to hurt your partner badly.
                          I get bruised while sparring, bloody noses occur and some weeks ago a guy broke his nose (by accident ofcourse), which is all acceptible and even enjoyable in a fighting art as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone spar full contact the way that would pretty much break something on a clean hit?

Comment

Going all out is not sparring, it's a fight. Sparring (with strikes) is when you are trying to make solid contact (including to the head) with your strikes, but you pull the power.

Anything less that that, being no contact, no contact to the head, or "tapping" your opponent with strikes and only trying to reach him rather than actually land a solid hit, isn't really sparring at all.

A.K.A MEAT

Comment

Didn't realise there was so much disagreement. Those guys who have tried martial arts for a while, 1-2 years+, and seen the higher grades would probaly qualify best to make judgments..I'll start a new thread and ask for qualifications, that'll be interesting...
                              Thanks

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X