X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dsimon3387
    replied
    Originally posted by madmonkey View Post
    Agh but while are UK magazines may give DSI and rick moneymaker exposure he is still American.

That said we have a fair few loonies in the UK as well so it all balances out
    Indeed. he had apparently formed an ad hoc "association" with another group over there and they were putting together a show. A snake oil show.

But yes, point taken... Money Maker is an American.

Leave a comment:

• HenryT
    replied
    Let's write it down!

MA magazines obviously have to aim at a fairly large circulation if they want to stay in business. They aren't, in other words, aimed very directly at the 'serious' or 'traditional' martial artist, and they tend to plug the latest gimmick/sensation, whatever it is. It's amazing what people will believe. (Not everybody, though. Does anyone remember the story of Dan Docherty and the bottle of water?) I don't have any quarrel with kickboxers and freestylers and mud-wrestlers, etc.; live and let live, says I. But the 'yellow' periodicals in question don't reflect what you might call informed MA opinion. Fame and fortune (and a bunch of libel writs, possibly) await whoever starts a magazine version of Bullshido; or writes the book. If 'Kickass Monthly' can plug Moneymaker/ Dillman/Grayston Hanshi (our very own Limey disgrace), etc., why not do more than bitch about it online? This is a serious suggestion, people. Anyone out there with literary ambitions? (and a taste for litigation?)

Yes, Dsimon3387: Kneel before Zod!:kiss:

Leave a comment:

• madmonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    You have a couple of martial arts magazines that highlighted Rick Moneymaker and a group of similar flakes... thats a fact. It is not a slight on the UK but a fact. The articles were crap they were written like press releases and were hardly investigative journalism.

I don't know how you got that I support MoneyMNaker from me noting that fact.... I don't. I find it odd that the UK which to my mind is a smarter place than here would support the type of martial arts mags that would write crap like this... that is as clear as I can make it. Now get you knickers out of a knot birdie! (Terrance Stamp in the LImey haha)
    Agh but while are UK magazines may give DSI and rick moneymaker exposure he is still American.

That said we have a fair few loonies in the UK as well so it all balances out

Leave a comment:

• migo
    replied
    Holy fuck! I actually said gaijin? Guess I really used to be an egg.

Leave a comment:

• Dsimon3387
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryT View Post

Most people with half a brain can see that the Dillman family of techniques is largely about manipulating the minds of foolish and impresss.

Absolutely I am just partial to that little soliloquey by Terrance Stamp (underrated actor). Yeah I was amazed because it seems to me (i.e. I understand the trend) that all magazines have been dummed down a bit. I see it in Scientific American as well as the martial arts mags... but I had seen these two publications that looked fantastic from the Uk... this was about 5 years ago and my hopes were up. Much to my chagrin it was nothing but stuff on the charlitan set... Moneymaker was featured in all his glory. And I mean that as ironickly as a sarcastic statement could possibly be.

Leave a comment:

• hungryjoe
    replied
    Welcome to Bullshido HenryT.

You'll do well here.

Leave a comment:

• HenryT
    replied
    Most people with half a brain can see that the Dillman family of

Leave a comment:

• Dsimon3387
    replied
    Congratulations, Grandmaster. You're the one who first mentioned the synonym, yes? I don't quite understand your last post, but I guess you're having a pop at me - because I think the pressure point thing is 90 per cent BS? Well, you're going to have to have a pop at a lot of people. Of course I've heard of Rick Moneymaker. Here in the UK we can and do read. We're also, on the whole, smart enough to recognise a phoney when we see one.

If you really do believe in the whole Dillman/Moneymaker/pressure point carnival, God bless you, and great luck to you. I truly mean that - great luck to you, because you're going to need it if ever you try to use that stuff against someone who won't stand still and who insists on fighting back.

Maybe I misunderstood you? Try to make your point a little more cogently next time. Here in the UK we find that clear and accurate English prose is a great medium of communication.
    You have a couple of martial arts magazines that highlighted Rick Moneymaker and a group of similar flakes... thats a fact. It is not a slight on the UK but a fact. The articles were crap they were written like press releases and were hardly investigative journalism.

I don't know how you got that I support MoneyMNaker from me noting that fact.... I don't. I find it odd that the UK which to my mind is a smarter place than here would support the type of martial arts mags that would write crap like this... that is as clear as I can make it. Now get you knickers out of a knot birdie! (Terrance Stamp in the LImey haha)

Leave a comment:

• HenryT
    replied
    Moneymaker, etc.

Congratulations, Grandmaster. You're the one who first mentioned the synonym, yes? I don't quite understand your last post, but I guess you're having a pop at me - because I think the pressure point thing is 90 per cent BS? Well, you're going to have to have a pop at a lot of people. Of course I've heard of Rick Moneymaker. Here in the UK we can and do read. We're also, on the whole, smart enough to recognise a phoney when we see one.

If you really do believe in the whole Dillman/Moneymaker/pressure point carnival, God bless you, and great luck to you. I truly mean that - great luck to you, because you're going to need it if ever you try to use that stuff against someone who won't stand still and who insists on fighting back.

Maybe I misunderstood you? Try to make your point a little more cogently next time. Here in the UK we find that clear and accurate English prose is a great medium of communication.

Leave a comment:

• Dsimon3387
    replied
    Torite (捕り手) is indeed an synonym for Ju Jutsu.

Yes, I know this thread is ancient; but isn't there room for enquiry here, into somebody who seems to be repackaging Dillmanesque stuff? Is the founder really called Momeymaker??? - or is he taking the pi$$?

Yes that is his name. And there are some pretty widely circulated martial arts mags in the United Kingdom (some of our members confirmation?) and this guy is highly touted. I will never understand the disparate nature of media and people's awareness across the pond... but I guess yellow journalism is alive and well and add taking ancient synonyms to the list of ways to create BS.

PS I am a grandmaster in the ancient art of Kempo atemi waza haha.

Leave a comment:

• HenryT
    replied
    Torite

Torite (捕り手) is indeed an synonym for Ju Jutsu.

Yes, I know this thread is ancient; but isn't there room for enquiry here, into somebody who seems to be repackaging Dillmanesque stuff? Is the founder really called Momeymaker??? - or is he taking the pi$$?

Leave a comment:

• CoffeeFan
    replied
    Damn, that's one hell of a necro on a thread.

Leave a comment:

• cyrijl
    replied
    I bet the guy is opening up a school so he did a google search and this thread came up. He felt he absolutely had to reply.

Leave a comment:

• 1point2
    replied
    We finally got a response from a torite guy, which validates my involvement, but I for one did not notice that the OP was old.

Leave a comment:

• cyrijl
    replied
    You realize this is a 6.5 yr old thread?

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X