Muay Thai and Kyokushin Kicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muay Thai and Kyokushin Kicks

Whats the difference? (If I recall theres was a link to a site that gives discriptions of the differences but I cant find it.)
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

MT kicks with the shin and the hip leads the leg..

I think Kyokushin is more of a traditional karate kick, uses the instep.

Theres a great vid of kyokushin in the downloads section. the high kyokushin kick is very deceptive. It comes up and drops down.

Comment

Here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...threadid=12434

Comment

Kyokushin fighters also use their shins alot in kicking.

http://www.kyokushinmail.com/koya/KickInstruction.htm

Around a third of the way down is a good description for the high kicks of different styles.

Comment

Originally posted by gojuJKDdude
          MT kicks with the shin and the hip leads the leg..

I think Kyokushin is more of a traditional karate kick, uses the instep.

Theres a great vid of kyokushin in the downloads section. the high kyokushin kick is very deceptive. It comes up and drops down.
          Not the way that I was taught. Get it way up and bring it straight across, preferably over the top of a lazy block. :-)

Comment

The Muay Thai kick is like the swinging of a baseball bat and that once it makes contact, the practioner is able to fire the kick in a rapid succession that is not deliverable with the Kyokushin Karate kick.

I gather that this has something to do with the hip leading the kick as compared to KK's kick where the knee leads the kick .

Comment

Not to forget MT kicks utilize a lot on twisting the waist~~~
              "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
              - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

Thanks guys!
                Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

They're the same. Well that site I posted said they were apart from the way they move their hands basically...That's how I remember it.
                  "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

hmm well ok no I was wrong (gasp.) But I've seen thai boxer's do the kick both ways (maybe they were the kyokushin turned MT ppl.)
                    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X