Black Belt Pass Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Belt Pass Rates

If you happen to train at a school that uses the belt system, what is the pass rate at black belt tests? I know there is much more to this than this single metric, none-the-less I'm interested in rates at other schools.

The pass rate at my schools test on Sunday was 26%.

Usually the instructor doesn't let people take the test until they're sure they'll pass.

I've never run into somebody who actually didn't pass the test at any school, unless they insisted taking the test like an idiot.

Comment

Once the cheque clears, you get the belt right? Then open your club and in the cash comes..

Comment

Gotta agree. 26% sounds just weird. A good instructor wouldn't let you test unless passing is a foregone conclusion and the test itself is nothing more than a formality, a ceremony, a time to show off what you've learned and have your family come and take pictures...

Unless, of course, you choke or get sick or just screw it up for no reason. Now, that I've seen happen.

Comment

There is thatthat, of course. How much is the testing fee? Did "somebody" need to buy a new car?

Comment

Originally posted by osopardo
            Gotta agree. 26% sounds just weird. A good instructor wouldn't let you test unless passing is a foregone conclusion and the test itself is nothing more than a formality, a ceremony, a time to show off what you've learned and have your family come and take pictures...

Unless, of course, you choke or get sick or just screw it up for no reason. Now, that I've seen happen.

Actualy there is a pre-test which everyone must pass prior to going to the actual test. Everyone, or just about everyone, CAN pass the test - but fail to perform at the big event for some reason. The test includes basic standup techniques, close range, physical fitness requirements, board breaking, and LOTs of hard sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by edward
              Usually the instructor doesn't let people take the test until they're sure they'll pass.
              My instructors have been the same. We did occasionally have students fail, usually from nerves. But I've never known anyone to fail their Black Belt yet, as they usually train very hard for it and only go when they are sure they are ready. I mean who wants to attempt a BB test with 20-40 man kumite more than once?

My mate has been a brown belt for ages now and isn't willing to go for BB as he doesnt feel ready, although I am sure he would fly through it. And I know I won't attempt it until I am sure of myself passing too.

Comment

How did you have a 26% pass rate? Did 3.84615384 people attempt the test?

Comment

My school must suck. It's never even given a black belt! :-( In fact, black belts aren't even in regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by kod
                    How did you have a 26% pass rate? Did 3.84615384 people attempt the test?
                    135 participated in the test. 35 passed.

Comment

Hmm.. guess 100 people weren't ready.

The only times in life when you fuck up at ANYTHING is either:

A: Through hesitation
                      B: You were not ready to handle it

There would seem to be some disparity between the pre-test test, and the actual test. Success in the pre-test obviously is NOT a good indicator that you are ready for the actual test. Therefore, the pre-test test needs to be adjusted.
                      video game reviews

Comment

My instructor has never ranked anyone else as a black belt in Kun Tao. The highest rank after the instructor is a very senior purple belt. I've been doing Kun Tao for 2 years and I'm just getting ready to test for yellow.
                        Originally posted by Canuckyokushin
                        I would so do Buttsecks.

Comment

We did had a good pass rate but like other dojo's that have been mentioned, we don't test until we're sure the person is capable of passing. However, we did have some failures.

On top of that, one of the students who did fail left to set himself up as a black belt and formed his own McDojo in a neighboring county.

Comment

100 out of 135 people failed their black belt test...

Everyone is thinking it but no one is saying it. Regardless of how different the pre-test is from the actual test, that statistic doesn't reflect well upon the judgement and/or motives of their instructors.

-KFR

Comment

Originally posted by Kung_Fu_Rascal
                              100 out of 135 people failed their black belt test...

Everyone is thinking it but no one is saying it. Regardless of how different the pre-test is from the actual test, that statistic doesn't reflect well upon the judgement and/or motives of their instructors.

-KFR
                              Yeah, what kind of school is that that has 135 people taking the test?

Is this a college karate class, or what? How many people are in your classes? Hundreds?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X