New Twist, Old Idea: Synthetic Fighting Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Twist, Old Idea: Synthetic Fighting Sticks

Escrima and Arnis practitioners will be particularly interested in this review of Eric Blair's synthetic fighting sticks, the "f-stix." Manufactured from Nylon or Kevlar, the f-stix are a new twist on an old idea:

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/fstix.htm

Good for combat but not so great for practise, then, hey? I don't want to go around shattering my friend's sticks. They'd be pissed at me.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

I generally practice (against other people) with rattan only simply because anything more solid hurts more. You have to exercise some caution just with the rattan; I have a rather lovely bruise over my left pectoral where my teacher Dave nailed me good with a stick thrust.

Edited by - Sharp Phil on December 31 2002 11:21:15

Comment

Yeah, I was sparring with my instructor and he was "teaching me a lesson" -- or as I call it, hitting me at will -- and he NAILED me on the left bicep because I'd been covering with my gloved hand a split second earlier. But you see, he wasn't expecting me to do something stupid like drop my guard and the strike was already out when the glove went down. Goodness me, that was a pretty bruise.

Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Hitting you at will? You don't allow your instructor to treat you abusively or disrespectfully, do you?

Comment

No, no, I mean I'm like a five year old when I'm up against him. We spar kickboxing, he taps me in the face whenever he wants, lightly, and I run around panting and swearing because I can't hit him.

That Kali stick hit was the first bruise he's ever given me, and he apologized as he did it.

Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Oh, okay.

Comment

Reminds me of my old fencing coach. It took me two years just to get a couple of points on him, and even then, he wasn't really trying.
                I wouldn't mind so much, but he's 5'8" and 22 stone of flab (300lbs or 140kg for the non colonials).
                Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

I have yet to touch my sensei in sparring.

Bring out the windbreakers, I feel a storm coming on!

Comment

I can't even touch my Sifu when he has his eyes closed :/
                    But whenever he feels like it I'll receive a slight poke in the ribs or a slap in the face.

Comment

Kinda like what the police force uses

But then again, it's great for competitions if it's legal, but self-defense wise, my .50 will do.

Comment

The Way of the Gun does beat the Way of the Empty Hand.

On the flipside, I'm Canadian and can't pack a firearm. I always have my hands with me. You just don't want to know where they've been.

Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

You don't actually lug around a .50 AE Desert Eagle, do you, MartialArtist?

Comment

SamHarber,
                            I studied fencing under a 72 year old man with a right knee that was half-paralyzed by a medication he took after a surgery. I've never been so utterly dominated by a teacher, and I've never learned so much in so little time.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
                            Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Its great when you find people like that isn't it. Validates all the effort you've ever put in, even if you have to ditch 90% of what you've learnt up till that point.
                              Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X