No announcement yet.

Masaaki Hatsumi footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you seen the videos of Hatsumi when he was in his 20's training with his sensei? Takamatsu I believe his name was... Takamatsu was ooold, older than Hatsumi in those movies and he was throwing him around like he was a rag doll. Hatsumi easily had time and a half body weight on Takamatsu.

This style is what I trained in for a year and hopefully soon again once my sensei's akillis is healed. We use a lot of leverage in our techniques and as is shown, they're a lot like Judo in the sense of max results with minimum effort. Imagine the results if Hatsumi was trying...

It makes me happy to see some of you sorta turning around about Bujinkan, but the rolls made me sad.... I need to practice them. Sheeit.

Comment

if it was really ninja you wouldn't be able to see them.. I like the nipple twists..

Comment

Originally posted by kuntaokid
        Most Excellent.

His blending and obstruction techniques are top notch. A very high level of skill indeed.

Peace.

KTK
        Very good for multiple opponent fighting dont you think? :)
        Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

I would be curious to know about other Taijutsu arts in Japan. How do they differ from one another??? Etc.
          Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Yagyu Shinkage ryu is another tradition specifically entitled taijutsu. I've never been able to find out much about this school. Hatsumi actually happens to be licensed in this as well and apparently those who know better than I see it in his movement from time to time. I'm curious to anyone's knowledge about this system.

Taijutsu literally refers to technique of using the body, and is fairly interchangable with any term like jujutsu/koppo/kumiuchi/etc. You could also be looking at the taijutsu of sword technique, refering to the integrated body movement behind kenjutsu; this relationship just seems particularily emphasized amongst schools that use the term, instead of a distinction being drawn between unarmed fighting and each weapon.

Comment

I thought taijutsu just mean "body art"????
              Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

I was told it was the art of body manipulation. Generally in Bujinkan as well as Taijutsu (to the best of my knowledge) when a grappling technique of any kind is made, you are first displacing your opponents spine to create disbalance then you perform your technique.

But I know very little of Taijutsu...

Comment

Yeah, Tai=body, jutsu=technique or art (in the capacity of refined skill). So art or skill of using the body. It doesn't intrinsically mean anything more than that.

Comment

It was o.k but it was nothing impressive.

I'll admit Hatsumi does have good break balance skills. Thats the one thing my instructor told me when I was doing Bujinkan -- breaking your opponants balance is the key. Once you have control of their balance - you can control your opponant.

But again those guys in that clip where not resisiting. They where just standing there like statutes and letting Hatsumi play with them. Much like Bujinkan training in any of their dojos. Either that or those guys are attacking him the way he tells them to. Under those circumstances anything works. When I started fighting Kyokushin guys I found out it was not that simple. I'll bet you put a Bujinkan blackbelt 2nd dan up against a Kyokushin brown belt and the Bujinkan guy would be finished. What they teach in Bujinkan sounds good in theory yet when you try and put in into practice against someone who NOT co operating with you - it does not work. WHen sparring with someone who is really trying to hurt you I don't think any of those magic tricks would come off.
                    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

But again those guys in that clip where not resisiting. They where just standing there like statutes and letting Hatsumi play with them.
                      The point is how he is controlling the space and balance. From his position he is able to move much more slowly and relaxed than his ukes, and is completely free to attack them when they have no base for power. When is someone in a position to really DO anything to him that he couldn't match or beat? He has complete mechanical advantage. Throwing in stupid resistance and wild flailing would only obfuscate the point he's trying to pass on. Keep in mind that Hatsumi is teaching his shihan high level concepts, not beginners.

When I started fighting Kyokushin guys I found out it was not that simple.
                      When I train with people outside the Booj, I take two major things into consideration. First, most modern systems seperate weapon handling from unarmed technique, and a lot of unexpected counters would be negated if we simply put knives in our hands. But more importantly, if my technique fails I assume it is because I don't understand it, so I strive to learn it better with this new perspective in mind. This helps me develop in my Bujinkan training just as much, and I find it starts to work better against those of other disciplnes (or untrained) better with time. It's common sense to test yourself against people from other arts no matter what your background, but you shouldn't throw stuff out when it doesn't work, just consider that you don't REALLY understand it yet.

WHen sparring with someone who is really trying to hurt you I don't think any of those magic tricks would come off.
                      Simply refering to such concepts as "magic tricks" indicates a frame of mind you might have had when studying the techniques in the first place, which is probably exactly why they failed you. Every time our sensei shows a technique, trying to hurt him more only makes the technique more effective. That is in actuality exactly what you NEED to make the stuff work. Unfortunately, most people are lazy in training so they don't inject that intensity when learning the techniques and overreact as uke, so they never actually learn the principles.

I just talked to a friend who sees a teacher in Seattle that goes to Japan several times a year to train with Hatsumi. Since the man is getting on in his years (and its really starting to show physically) my friend asked this teacher what training with him is like these days. To paraphrase, he responded that it is like fighting a ghost. You punch as fast and hard as you can, and its not just that you thought you were going to hit him, but more like you just hit *through* him. Then you just hear yourself screaming and end up on the ground, and have to ask someone else what he did to you.

I've probably tasted something like a fraction of that with my teacher, which makes this somewht believable. And it only works better the more I try to hurt him, fight back, keep going, it just gets worse and worse. It's pretty fucking cool in a masochistic way :)

Comment

Admirabile Show-Fu.
                        Not much besides that though - what I've seen is mostly jujitsu, and while there are a few interesting tips (like the way he works the legs, for instance, I've seen something like that in C. Sambo) it's not enough to even warrant the style a different name.

I must say, though, that the guy looks in good enough shape to be in his 70ies. Looks like even "ninjutsu" will work in keeping you in shape.

Comment

Hard to make a comment since the uke were not resisting. They were doing some good mugging for the camera though.

The opening of the first clip has a guy lying down in the fetal position between Hatsumi's feet, and there are some other clips where the uke just appears in the video, already tied in knots....How'd they get into that state of affairs? The whole time I was thinking, "I wish I had some guys who would let me beat the shit out of them all day. I'd feel like a ninja master myself."

There was some three-stooges action too. When two uke are lined up and Hatsumi pushes them both over. And that last shot did smack of no-touch systema stuff...

As for his age - it's good. But not unique - Jhoon Rhee, Kong Yong Il, Hee Il Cho etc. Are in great shape and are their late 60s, early 70s too.

It wasn't all bad though.

As for the Dekker clip? Brilliant. Pitbull dressed in the skin of a man. He's won yet another fan.

SK.
                          EDITED for clarity and content.
                          Last edited by stillkicking; 9/12/2004 11:22am, .

Comment

Holy smokes! Ninjas! That don't suck completely! That are old!

He must have t3h chi!!!!

Comment

I was at that Taikai. In fact I was less than 20 ft. away from the stage where Mr. Hatsumi was doing the demonstrations along with the Shihan demonstrations. Nobody was resisting at all. In fact all of the attacks were standard Bujinkan lunge punches and lunge kicks where the defender knew the attack coming. Even when the Shinan (10th+ Dan) instructors were demonstrating techniques themselves they didn't use any type of resistance. That's why this stuff looks so nice in the video and that's why you see a 70 year old man tossing around guys half his age without breaking a sweat. It simply isn't realistic.
                              Last edited by katana; 9/12/2004 1:06pm, .

Comment

I might see the point of that if the demonstrator were expending a lot of energy and scrambling to do the technique but that's not the case.

How often do we see videos of an "attacker" making some pathetic slow-motion punch and the "defender" flips out and starts cranking on locks and frantically slapping him up and down, magically gets the attacker to the ground who is completely compliant, then kneels down and continues to chain punch the head of the attacker's limp body?

At least in the case at hand, the demonstrator's first move puts him in a superior position while eroding the reciever's, keeping him checked high and low. Because of this he is always one step ahead. The uke is immediately in a mechanically poor position. And because of this ite is able to move at a slower and more relaxed pace. Plenty of headroom.

They probably could TRY to fight back more than they do, but what is stopping Hatsumi or whoever is demonstrating from raising the bar as well?

It would look less pretty. It might look more realistic. But why is that any more useful to the students? Do you need to see blood drawn to understand a point about balance?
                                Last edited by Spunky; 9/12/2004 1:41pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X