Shintaido

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shintaido

Last night I was watching "Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves" on BBC3 (which is a terrible program, but I suffer from morbid curiousity) and they had a segment on Shintaido.
    Imagine a mix of Aikido and Yellow Bamboo...
    Part of their training is to stand under a freezing waterfall for 5 minutes until Hypothermia starts to set in...
    Apparently it helps them detect killer intent from other people.

the American chapter has a website at http://www.shintaido.org/

Deary deary me...
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

I too saw that godawful demonstration of bullshido.

They are very Yellow Bamboo like, and the actual physical techniques looked straight out of Aikido to me - so I was quite surprised to see on their website that the founder was a "master of shotokai karate".

I liked the bit on the show when he was under the waterfall and was saying how it's really bad for the first couple of minutes, but then your body starts to metamorphosise or some such shit. Nothing to do with the fact that your body temperature is dropping fast...

Comment

I was into Shintaido for awhile. Then I got sick of playing with the 'light.'

Aoki was a bit 'hippie' in the Shotokai, hell most of the shotokai is new age hippiish.
      ______
      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

I thought the waterfall meditation was training to be able to clear your mind even under the most annoying distractions. Like an icecold waterfall crashing on your head.
        Brendayan
        Fury's Edge
        Morell-Thule

Comment

Originally posted by Asia
          I was into Shintaido for awhile. Then I got sick of playing with the 'light.'

Oh my god... well, everyone has their dark past...

Comment

pictures like this have always worried me

There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Comment

*cough* Cult *cough*

Comment

Eh, not as bad as the yellowbamboo group I dont think... Didnt see anything about changing wheather with your chi.
                Unless they really do think that they are succeeding in the whole "bringing about world peace" thing.... Unless they think they know how to fight, doesnt seem all too horrible... Just a bunch of pussies dancing with swords.

Comment

They are more new age tree hugging hippies than cultist. If you can find Aoki's first english book, which I still have, you may feel you need to light a blunt and commune with nature.
                  ______
                  Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                  -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                  The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                  -Daniel Tosh

Comment

of course some people just feel that way without the blunt....

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X