Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

TKD Training for 18 Month Olds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TKD Training for 18 Month Olds?

I was flipping through the Yellow Pages to see what all was in there under martial arts and I found this. I added the red arrow. I've read you guys complain about 8 year old black belts but I've never heard of martial arts training for 18 month olds. I thought about calling to see if my pregnant wife (she's not really pregnant) could start training so that our fetus has enough training to have his Black Belt test upon birth.

Well, the birthday parties sound fun...and ooh! Good grades too.

Sweet.

Start 'em early, that's what I say. 18 months sounds a bit late to start, considering all the positive benefits training provides.

Heh heh.
    SK

Comment

what the shit?
      how come it's "Brice's Taekwondo" but they offer KARATE for kids

Comment

That's ATA marketing for you...those are all ATA programs.

Gringo Grande
        MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
        (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

What does ATA stand for?

Comment

At least it's parents and tot's. Seems more like and aerobics class for mom's and their little kids. To bad they are calling in martial arts though.
            Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Comment

Comment

^^ I agree. Trust me, at 18 months, they arnt going to remember much, or anythign from there training. It would be much more cost effecent to start at like minimum at 4. Unless there doing it for free, by the time they reach 4 they'll be hable to do 3 kicks.

Comment

OMG, i just noticed TKD gives you good grades. I'm gonna take it now. Schools gonna be a easy now. :D

Comment

Oh my god...

FUCKING NO.

Teaching 4-7 year olds is hard enough, but 18 MONTH olds? Holy shit...

Seriously, does the phrase "you're not old enough yet" not exist in the English language anymore?

This ad makes Baby Jesus cry...

Comment

Do they even allow someone at 18 months to do tee ball or soccer or whatever? This is pretty absurd even for TKD.
                      "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I dunno, As long as they aren't making little kids blackbelts or hyping them up as skilled fighters, it's not that bad. My daughter learned to walk by holding the bottom rope of a ring, and I have a play area in my school for the little kids to use while the parents work out. It could be something like that.

Of course, this is TKD, so who knows until someone visits.
                        "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
                        -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
                        -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
                        -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                        -Don Gwinn

Comment

Originally posted by iamamonster
                          What does ATA stand for?
                          American Taekwondo Association

Comment

Originally posted by Choke
                            Do they even allow someone at 18 months to do tee ball or soccer or whatever? This is pretty absurd even for TKD.
                            lots of places like the YMCA offer tumbling type classes for that age group (with their parents). This probably is not very different - unless they claim to make them fighters and award rank

Comment

At birth, the human brain is still preparing for full operation. The brain's neurons exist mostly apart from one another. The brain's task for the first 3 years is to establish and reinforce connections with other neurons. These connections are formed when impulses are sent and received between neurons. Axons send messages and dendrites receive them. These connections form synapses. (See Figure 1.)

Figure 1. Neurons mature when axons send mesages and dendrites receive them to form synapses.

As a child develops, the synapses become more complex, like a tree with more branches and limbs growing. During the first 3 years of life, the number of neurons stays the same and the number of synapses increases. After age 3, the creation of synapses slows until about age 10.

Between birth and age 3, the brain creates more synapses than it needs. The synapses that are used a lot become a permanent part of the brain. The synapses that are not used frequently are eliminated. This is where experience plays an important role in wiring a young child's brain. Because we want children to succeed, we need to provide many positive social and learning opportunities so that the synapses associated with these experiences become permanent.

How the social and physical environments respond to infants and toddlers plays a big part in the creation of synapses. The child's experiences are the stimulation that sparks the activity between axons and dendrites and creates synapses.

Critical periods and sensitive periods: What's the difference?
                              Brain development research distinguishes between sensitive periods and critical periods of development. Understanding the difference is very important for recognizing what infants and toddlers need early in life. The information presented in this guide centers mostly on sensitive periods.
                              Critical periods represent a narrow window of time during which a specific part of the body is most vulnerable to the absence of stimulation or to environmental influences. Vision is a good example: Unless an infant sees light during the first 6 months, the nerves leading from the eye to the visual cortex of the brain that processes those signals will degenerate and die.

Prenatal development, the period before a baby is born, also includes critical periods. Remember the drug thalidomide and its effects on prenatal development? Women who took the drug between the 38th and 46th days of pregnancy gave birth to infants with deformed arms, or no arms, Women who took the drug between the 40th and 46th days of pregnancy gave birth to infants with deformed legs or no legs. Women who took the drug after the 50th day of pregnancy gave birth to babies with no birth defects or problems.

Sensitive periods are the broad windows of opportunity for certain types of learning. Sensitive periods represent a less precise and often longer period of time when skills, such as acquiring a second language, are influenced. But, if the opportunity for learning does not arise, these potential new skills are not lost forever. Individuals learn new languages at many different times in their lives.

The skills acquired during sensitive periods are those that some people are better at than others. They include the social, emotional and mental characteristics that make us interesting people. Individuals who work with children need to be aware of the sensitive period concept so that they can provide learning opportunities that benefit children in many ways. The early brain research highlights birth through age 3 as a sensitive period for development and learning in all areas.

http://www.classbrain.com/artread/pu...ticle_30.shtml

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X