American Combatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Combatives

I just saw two of these guys do a demo a few days ago.... At around the point where the one started talking about how he didn't like having more than four people in a class and that they did most of their work on a big 'ol rubber dummy I started to worry... Then I saw their demo and got scared.

Highlights included full-armed hugely orbited swings from your hip to hit the opponent's ear (which cupping the ear is a nice idea, just not in so huge a motion that it can be seen coming a mile away), slapping someone in the spine for accosting your friend, the infamous skin grab - "Pinch the upper arm if they're choking you!," stepping beside your rubber dummy attacker and patting them in the gonads, et cetera.

Hey, just go onto their site and dl the clips.
    www.americancombatives.com

A friend of mine always said to learn something from everyone.... even if that something is what not to do... They may have some ok Ideas and Concepts but their way of putting them forth is ... Wow.

I am completely sure that Colonel Applegate would not have recommended arm-pinching for anyone.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

I've studied with this guy. It's not a complete system, but there are some good techniques for a military environment. At least when I did this, they trained with hard contact (at least some of the time) and, many years later, I keep a (very) few of these techniques in my repetiore...

But no, this is not a good subtitute for good BJJ, MT, MMA type school.

Comment

How are techniques for a military environment different from other techniques?

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
          There's been a few other threads on this already...

But in short:

(a) H2H is not a military priority and most training you get is inadeaute to begin with
          (b) Your opponent is not likely to be fighting emptly hand
          (c) If he/she is emply hand, the may be wearing body armor and helmet

Combatives does NOT do alot of body work, grappling and/or submissions. The strikes tend to be focused on the neck/throat, nose, knees/shins and nuts. Many of the techniques will focus on deflection (of incomeing technique) and continuation of same technique towards one of the areas below. There was also a fair amont s of knife skills taught. It is not oriented towards squaring off with some guy in a ring and feeling each other out before throwing traditional techniques.

that's what I remember anyway...

Comment

Military self defense is designed around the idea that you will usually have a firearm ... bullet trumps body. Most instructors that I have met teach with the mentality that if you have lost your weapon, you are already dead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
              Military self defense is designed around the idea that you will usually have a firearm ... bullet trumps body. Most instructors that I have met teach with the mentality that if you have lost your weapon, you are already dead.
              Fuck no! As long as you have a edged weapon, e-tool, rifle butt, boot, teeth, or ANYTHING then you are still in the fight. Teach the mentaility that you are NOT doing your job by dying and as long as you are breathing you can fight.
              Last edited by punchingdummy; 8/30/2004 7:01pm, .

Comment

Hmm, thanks for the info.

Comment

I am just relaying what info has been passed to me ... they are the instructors, not me. But in my experience in OTHER military matters ...the attitude of the military is and always has been "enough to get by". Take for example the equipment the military gives me to deploy with ... it is basically camping gear ... however given my love of backpacking, I have found my personal gear to be infinately superior. I am inclined to believe my friends based off examples such as that, and the tendancy for similar military doctrine in all its other aspects.

"Enough to get by" ... yeah, okay ... lemme go home and get my OWN shit before you want to send me there ...

Comment

What instructors are these? Military guy studying Isshinryu in South Carolina...let me guess Marine?

Your assessment of basic issue equipment is correct. Civilian gear almsost always > standard issue.

Comment

No, they do not study Isshinryu ... I study Isshinryu. One of my friends does teach at Paris Island. The other two are SER instructors for the Air Force at Charleston and Shaw.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                        No, they do not study Isshinryu ... I study Isshinryu. One of my friends does teach at Paris Island. The other two are SER instructors for the Air Force at Charleston and Shaw.
                        What does your friend teach at Parris Island? I hope he is not the one who teaches "that if you you lost your weapon, you're already dead".

and what is SER? Do you mean SERE? SERE isn't real big in H2H, and SERE courses certainly do not teach that you're dead without your weapon.

Comment

My friend at Paris Island is a DI. Yes I ment SERE, it was a typo gift from the keyboard gremlins. As I said earlier, I am no expert. My AFSC is not an aviation position so I have not had the benifit of such trainings, nor do I want them from what my friends tell me ... I am better off studying on my own.

Comment

Military gear is made by the lowest bidder.
                            And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

^
                              |
                              |
                              | Is T3H CORR3CT

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X