Judo in the Str33t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judo in the Str33t

I've just recently taken to advocating Judo as "the art you should take if you can only take on art."

This evenning I found myself involved in a relatively low-level altercation at a restaurant some time after I had got done doing my club thing. There was a group of three young (and small) males and a girl sitting at one table and a group of four larger guys (early college age) sitting at another table.

One thing lead to another and the biggest guy from the big guy table started harassing the smallest kid from the small guy table. Some time later, the big guy got up and charged down the little guy.

A few people grabbed him and he started throwing elbows and shoving them off, so I figured I should see if I couldn't restrain him. Just as I approached, one of the big guy's friends bear hugged me with my arms inside.

I didn't know if I was going to get attacked, so I performed this maneuver (http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...e/uchimata.htm) by claming down on one of his arms with my forearm and bicep. I then got to knee on stomach and looked at the kid before I looked up and seen his friend approaching me pretty fast. So I stood up and the approaching guy started talking some smack.

Then the big guy got a hold of the little guy and it went outside. So everyone else left and a strolled outside. A friend of mine (6'6"/360) got in middle of it and it fizzled off after that.

I call bullshido. There's no way you got out of a bear hug without stomping on your captor's feet coupled with a good KIAI.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

Nice, glad niether you nor anyone else was hurt. You got to watch that stuff, knives can easily come out. Sometimes the smartest thing to do may not be the "right thing." Thanks for the pictures too.

Comment

Stomp, Yell NO!, elbow, elbow, Judo flip, pose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Su Kow
          Stomp, Yell NO!, elbow, elbow, Judo flip, pose.
          You had it right up to the elbows - after that is when you duck down, step behind them, and pick up their closest leg. This action will cause them to flip backwards in an almost unbelievable fashion. Believe it though - you're a trained killer.
          Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

I then got to knee on stomach and looked at the kid before I looked up and seen his friend approaching me pretty fast.
            And if he'd been closer and just booted your face...then?

Comment

Oh come on guys everyone know Uchi MAta is a tight throw and Any non-Judoka is going down. I say,"Good show mate!"

Comment

Originally posted by I Choke You
                Then he'd have been smacked in the face on the way up, instead of smacked in the face whilst still down ;)

Comment

Uchi Mata is just one of those throws you can pull off from just about anywhere.

I share that love for Judo.
                  Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                  "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

No Judo chop?

Comment

uchi mata!
                      uchi mata!
                      uchi mata!
                      sigpic

Comment

Re: Judo in the Str33t

Originally posted by NHB_Ben
                        A friend of mine (6'6"/360) got in middle of it and it fizzled off after that.
                        Ben:
                        This should have been you FIRST move!

`~/
                        sigpic

Comment

Way to stick up for someone who probably whould have gotten his shit ruined. I don't know much about Judo, but it looks very practical from what I've seen. Generally, a well executed throw like that probably makes people think twice about attacking you. You made a really good choice in not furthering the fight. Nobody got hurt and that's really the most you can hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by I Choke You
                            Yeah. Possibly. He was approaching from behind before I when to my knee. I switched sides as I came up. So he could have probably got me with a hell of an "in-betweener." Regardless, if I either a) did not do the throw or b) did the pump handle throw as described above, I would have also been open to shots from another party.

Comment

I like uchi mata as well, we work on it a lot, good job, I especially like the knee on chest, you can immobilize your opponent while keeping a look out IOW not getting kicked in the head because you'll see it coming
                              "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X