Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese folk medicine bullshido

a.k.a. take ones dough...

See, my friend (19, female) has been unfortunate enough to have had her mom fall prey to a naturopathy/chinese folk medicine idiot. I personally have the opinion that he is her mothers 'john redcorn' to be blunt. If you haven't seen king of the hill, wtf is your problem? Go watch!

Anyway, the way it goes is a stupid massage of the abdomen and back (which she reports feels like she's being molested by the guy) complete with meridians and shit! And thats not all! Two containers filled with various things (depends) are put in each hand, and you hold your arms out. He then pushes on the arms. The weaker arm has a food allergy... and its always the left arm for her!

So, to cure this 'allergy' she has to not eat that specific thing for 24 hours, but eat normally otherwise, then she is magically cured!

(No, you can't just eat nothing for a day and cure all of them, no if you did it before it doesn't count, no you can't switch arms and try again, and no nobody has actually had a real allergy disappear)

Also, one time, they put all kinds of electrodes on her body, hooked it up to a laptop, and got some kind of BS printouts with "shakra" and BS random ailments in the future related to specific organs, eyesight, etc.

Well, this is all I can stand to post right now, but I couldn't make this shit up. The "NAET" 'treatment' , naturopathy, the damn laptop with electrodes and 'shakras... BTW, this guy is in toronto, what say we send one of you guys there?
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

is it the 19 yo or the mom?... it makes a difference for my chi...
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Comment

Are you looking for hired guns, or someone to prove he's bullshit?
      MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
      "Fag."
      "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

prove the BS.

The mom goes, makes the girl go. Girl finally got out of it this friday. :P
        Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

is it naturopathy... or chinese folk medicine... what type of massage is he doing? Tui Na... SHiatsu? Are you talking about containers filled with different herbs?

Bullshido it may be to you... but in long term following naturopathy usually does the body good.

Comment

Dude, you know that if she really believes in Chi and she gets acupuncture then she'll be healed via the placebo effect. Hahaha.

Comment

u dont have to beleive in chi... in order for acupuncture to work... what you can think of it as a major pain killer for a long period of time... if she doesnt beleive in chi...

A doctor can tell you all about WBC's (White Blood Cells) and you dont have to beleive shit on what he says about them. Yet your taking your antibiotics hoping u get cured.

Comment

Western= Scientific
                Eastern= Ancient, almost unbeleive stuff but its survived its past and is still working in the present.

Comment

Its a mix of both actually.

BTW:
                  Western= Scientific
                  Eastern= Ancient, almost unbeleive stuff but its survived its past and is still working in the present.

Its not working, its just still practiced. She feels no different from the treatments. =p

Comment

Meh, some western doctors are still puzzled as to how Tai Chi is able to give old people energy.

...my Dad's elbow was screwed over most of his life, and then he got acupuncture on it and it has been working fine ever since.

Comment

I know a bunch of people who were "cured" of quite a bit with eastern medicines. I for one am open to the idea of it possibly working, but am still generally skeptical.

Although one of my dad's friends who was half way to paralyzed from a motorcycle accident went to a Reiki (sp?) practioner and now walks with no pain, where he had absurd amounts of perscriptions that didn't do the trick before. Now he needs none. This manwas so pleased with the result he sent his son, a very heavy drug addict who got in trouble with the law constantly. His son has been clean since he went and his grades are way up in school.

My mom got into a car accident (slammed into by the rear passanger side) and had horrible neck pain starting about a day afterwards. She recieved acupuncture and now her neck is fine.

In my life I have a lot of support for the possible viabilities of eastern medicine. But I suppose much like what we fight against in the martial arts can also happen in eastern medicine. Common people just don't know, so assume it all to be the best. It is possible some people are just better than others with these things, and others are just out to get a buck. No conclusive scientific evidence any of it works, but from the people I know who have been helped...they swear by it now.

Comment

The human race is doomed. Maybe you can call the local current affairs TV show and see if they care enough to run a story.

Comment

*rolleyes* what do you think this site is for, Mork?

And anyway, those are great stories, but in HER case all she felt was molested and tricked by the guy, like he only cares about money, and she feels no health benefit. She wasn't unhealthy to begin with.

Yeah, everyone likes belief in these places but nobody ever hears about when it doesn't work, do they? I've yet to see actual proof of someone getting treatment and it working. Its 2004, someone could hide a camera on him and see how his health improves or not.

Also, if whatever they do DOES effect us physically, then it can be tested and measured in some way.

Comment

Comment

probably...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X