To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Re: Mental fatigue and sparring

Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer

Did any of you guys experience that kind of situation? Is there anything that can be done? "Have more focus" is all nice and well, but I wonder if there are any tricks/techniques/whatever to make your mind get off the stupor and concentrate on the task at hand in such a situation.
    Yes I have absolutely had the same problem. Most of this summer in fact. My job has been extra stressful lately. It's hard to get over it. But I have found a few tricks.

One thing that works for me is as soon as I leave work I take a deep breatha den let it out slowly to try and let all my work stress go. Then all the way home I think about training and what I might try that night instead of dwelling on work.

Then right before I go into the gym I take a deep breath and tell myself that I am going to do a great job tonight. Then I let it out and walk in like I have a purpose.

Comment

If the problem was that you couldn't get your mind of the tasks you needed to acomplish, make a list of everything that you need to do. When you have written everything down, you don't have to worry about forgetting anything important, and you can go about concentrating on the task at hand. This is also great if you can't get to sleep, because your mind won't stop thinking about everything you have to do.

If it's just that you feel burned out because of all the work you had to do, try some deep breating exersizes. Like what you might find in a chi kung exercise. A few minutes of that should help you feel re-energized.

Comment

Originally posted by indestructible
        If it's just that you feel burned out because of all the work you had to do, try some deep breating exersizes. Like what you might find in a chi kung exercise. A few minutes of that should help you feel re-energized.
        That civilisation may not sink,
        Its great battle lost,
        Quiet the dog, tether the pony
        To a distant post;
        A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

I usually start my MA workouts so full of rage and anger that most people don't even talk to me for the first hour, either that or its cause I warm up naked....anyways...

I find that, a proper warm up and some bag work, put me in the right state of mind for worling out.
          Other times I need to go through some "taiji" breathing exercises to calm down and get in a more relaxed mood.

Comment

I like to go through some Kata (honestly) because it clears my head. It's about the only thing I do Kata for, anymore, unless I'm going to my traditional school. Then, I do some walking meditation on my way to the fight. I find that by the time I get there, I am prepared and feeling ready. If not, I try some seated meditation (with a goal towards some Western version of Mushin) and maybe some more stretching.

The worst thing for me to do in this situation, I have found, is to concentrate on my trouble with focusing. I have to distract or clear my head.

Comment

Well, apparently my technique doesn't work for WingChun Lawyer.

A good punch to the head usually clears my mind pretty fast.
              MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
              "Fag."
              "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

Originally posted by Antagony
                Well, apparently my technique doesn't work for WingChun Lawyer.

A good punch to the head usually clears my mind pretty fast.
                Its great battle lost,
                To a distant post;
                A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Time to turn Buddhist, WingChun Lawyer.
                  MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                  "Fag."
                  "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

Buddhism allows you to stay both clear headed and conscious after a couple of punches to the head?
                    Its great battle lost,
                    To a distant post;
                    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
                        Its great battle lost,
                        To a distant post;
                        A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

When I've had a tough day at work I find it very relaxing to walk home instead of taking the subway/bus/whatever. It clears my mind and I can just smile about all those hasty people in their cars waiting in the usual traffic jam.
                          By the time I get home (it's an hour walking) all the stuff of my work doesn't bother me anymore and I'm all ready for a good hard sparring session (or even more pleasant physical activities - but that's not relevant to this thread).

Comment

Like johnbo, I just recommend taking a relaxing walk and getting some fresh air, especially if you've been at a desk job all day and you feel like your head is going to implode from staring at a computer screen for the last 8 hours (like me).

Comment

Yeah a nice relaxing walk in Atlanta! LOL I'll try that.

Sarcasm note: Atlanta is one of the worst cities in the country for both urban sprawl and lack of sidewalks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X