Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazilian top team has a tkd fighter

http://www.braziliantopteam.com/det_...go_noticia=157
    Last edited by bait; 8/26/2004 10:40am, .

TKD wins a mixed-art knockout tournament.

...only in Brazil.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 8/26/2004 10:44am, .
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

we have even a shotokan guy winning in mma events (lyoto)

Comment

Originally posted by Shumagorath
        TKD wins a mixed-art knockout tournament.

...only in Brazil.
        On the other hand, it seems our Krav Magah sucks.

Oh well, we will have to live with that.
        That civilisation may not sink,
        Its great battle lost,
        Quiet the dog, tether the pony
        To a distant post;
        Our master Caesar is in the tent
        Where the maps are spread,
        His eyes fixed upon nothing,
        A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Watch, in 5 years the next big thing will be Brazillian Tae Kwon Do.

Comment

Originally posted by bait
            :cool:
            Originally posted by The Wastrel
            I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

TKD itself isn't horrible ... but North America's typical approach to it has been.
              Now or never.

Comment

Originally posted by bait
                Uhh...Lyoto Machida also trains in Muay Thai, and has a purple belt in BJJ. From reading accounts of his fights, I think that his cross training has a lot to do with his victories as well.

Comment

My old instructor has a black belt in TKD...but he's also a certified MT instructor, and has trained in Shootfighting for about 10 years...and he's a pretty tough guy...he DOES use a few things from TKD, some fancier kicks than MT uses and stuff...but only when it is appropriate, that's something training for MMA taught him...TKD did NOT. You can take stuff from damn near ANY style and apply it to a realistic situation, or a ring fight, but that doesn't mean the style is effective overall.

Comment

Osiris, the problem is that many styles SPECIFICALLY DISCOURAGE teaching people to use common sense...they teach that the system is flawless, like a religion almost. As long as you do NOT have that attitude, you do OK. Another thing, the odd MT guy DOES do that ;).

Comment

I really hate to say this but BJJ is gay.

Comment

Uhh...Lyoto Machida also trains in Muay Thai, and has a purple belt in BJJ. From reading accounts of his fights, I think that his cross training has a lot to do with his victories as well.
                        wrong, he represent karate and gives karate the credit for his victories
                        his punches are wierd from the boxing perspective but he said in a interview to tatame that its intentional, that 's the way he learned in karate, to hit every strike with maximun force. the front kick ko in the bom ba ya event and his spinning kicks are from karate and bjj when the fight was in the ground. no credit for muay thai, sorry, he did only one month of mt so he doesnt Trains in mt, he did only one month to have an ideia of the MA http://www.njpw.com/fighters/lyoto.shtml (official page from inoki) http://www.njpw.com/interviews/lyoto_2.shtml

"I've competed in so many tournaments and fought countless times. The biggest awards I have achived so far is the Gold medal from Karate Pan American Championship. I'm an Amazon champion for Jiu-jitsu and I have placed second for the amateur sumo tournamnet in the 115kg division."

"I'm 26 now. I started Jiu-jitsu when I was 15 years old, Sumo at 12 years old, and Karate at the age of 4."
                        http://www.njpw.com/interviews/lyoto_1.shtml
                        sumo+bjj+karate= lyoto

please stop with the mentality that if somebody throws a knee and the guy says OUCH it was muay thai , if not it was karate.....

man its so hard to give the guy some credit for him using karate than some peopl come and say, "UHHH, its because of muay thai, not karate" c'mon...

i showed the sources, at least you should show yours

:rolleyes:
                        Last edited by bait; 8/26/2004 9:27pm, .

Comment

Some of the baddest dudes at my old TKD school were Brazilian. At a tournament once, there was this little Brazil vs. USA meet with a couple of the guys from my school on the Brazilian team vs. some American fighters from another dojang. In the 4th fight, the guy from my school busted out the most ridiculous combo on the American fighter. Hop in left leg roundhouse kick, followed by a double jumping roundhouse, finished with a hurricane kick to the head. Positively the sickest shit I have ever seen; the guy was being knocked left and right by the kicks and the hurricane kick would've taken off his head if it landed clean.

So, yeah, I'm glad Helio Gracie invented Brazilian TKD so it could go out and conquer all other striking arts.
                          "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

i'm sure he means tornado

and i need to move to brazil dammit.
                            Last edited by MaverickZ; 8/26/2004 11:37pm, .

Comment

lol first time for everything I suppose.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X