• Sun Wukong
    replied
    that's coz judo rizzocks bizzotch.

Leave a comment:

• Greese
    replied
    Originally posted by Gringo Grande
    Greese,

A question for you...I worked out with some of his students...the gi slowed me down terribly but I'm happy for the technical refinement that I know is coming from it. I was surprised by 2 things in particular during my first 3 hours.

1) Every one of the students went for a scarfhold position when attempting dominance...is this normal in Judo?
    2) None of them seemed familiar with an omaplata...I'll be the first to admit I'm tall with long legs and exceptionally flexible...I've surprised a number of people with the oma...but it didn't seem to by a standard Judo move to these guys. Any insight into that?

Also, since you are a BJJ/Judo practitioner...what do you find effective for a BJJ guy against a Judoka? None of the lower belt students seemed comfortable to pull guard.

Thanks for answering,

Gringo Grande
    1) Judo loves the scarf hold. I think it because a lot of high % throws go into that better than anything else. Also, if the person is familar with BJJ and know you do it, then they probably know that the scarf hold position is not utilized as much in BJJ.
    2) At a high level, it is the most common guard sub you will see. The kicker is that it is tecnically not Judo legal, but it is impossable to prove it is not attacking the elbow so you can get away with it.

If you are a BJJ guy agaisnt a Judoka, your natural reaction is going to be to bend over. Don't. Work on bending the knees and keeping your back relatively straight. I would work on your tomoenage. Even if it misses you land in guard with a real throw attempt.

Leave a comment:

• Meat Shake
    replied
    Ah.
    Tis ok.
    If you are having trouble with takedowns, judo should help a lot.
    There are a LOT of throws made for the taller man. Almost any upper body control is easier when you are taller.

Leave a comment:

• Gringo Grande
    replied
    Meat Shake, I wasn't going off on you :) My background <b>IS</b> no gi and standup. Due to my height...I've been terrible at wrestling style takedowns and I wanted to improve that. Several members of the community mentioned a couple of Judo throws that would work well for tall people so that is why I even looked into Judo to begin with.

I love and prefer no-gi but I understand that playing with the Judo guys and using a gi will make me a better martial artist. I was more irate at the people bringing up the so very tired Gracie vs Yosh argument. It is history, it isn't changing, get over it.

So I apologize Meat if you thought I was directing anything at you because I was not. :)

Gringo Grande

Leave a comment:

• Meat Shake
    replied
    "I'm looking for honest answers here, I don't want anyone starting a God damn flame war."

I apologize if you thought that this was my intent. I assumed by the thread that you are fairly new to throws, and what I said can be valuable advice, if you werent already aware. Im not saying anyone sucks or anything is better than anything else, Im just saying that if you dont ever wrestle no gi in class, it would be a very wise idea to at least wrestle with a classmate outside of glass no gi.

Leave a comment:

• Gringo Grande
    replied
    The instructor is an awesome guy...he has done no gi and admitted that he isn't as nearly proficient at it as no-gi. In not so many words he inferred that I would clean the floor with his students in no gi and God forbid we started in a standup position with striking allowed :) However the instructor has 29 years of Judo and wrestling background and I'm not dumb enough to think that I can't learn A LOT from all that experience. He already stated that due to his lack of height and my exceptional height that he'd only work with me on positioning...the other instructor who is 6'4" or so is gone for a couple weeks and that is who he wants teaching me the throws...I thought this was a nice gesture on his part that showed his true desire to help me improve to the best of my ability.

I'm looking for honest answers here, I don't want anyone starting a God damn flame war. I went looking for Judo people because of somethings that were mentioned on these forums that I felt would be beneficial for my all around training. I know in an MMA or fighting situation that I could kick the shit out of almost every one of the people there...with the exception of the instructor...if he got me to to the ground I would = t3h d34d. Mainly because all they do is train under judo rules, I expect them to be better at it than I since I've never done Judo.

My first experience I went in with no ego and attitude and they were all very friendly and helpful and I think that is the point. They like Judo...they don't want to do MMA and so I don't think to myself when someone smothers me with a gi, "Oh this asshole cheated". No, he won by the rules of his game which I don't have a problem with and intend to have fun learning until I become proficient in the throws I want to learn. :)

Please keep Royce vs Yosh gayness out of this thread as well please.

Gringo Grande

Leave a comment:

• Pandinha
    replied
    I've rolled maybe 5 times with no gi.

It's humbling to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Flames
    replied
    YOSHIDA, dont bring up that cheater in my presence. Gracie OWNED HIM and he cant live with that and neither can japan.

Leave a comment:

• Te No Kage!
    replied
    tate shiho gatame
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Te No Kage!
    replied
    kuzure tate shiho gatame
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Te No Kage!
    replied
    kata gatame
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Te No Kage!
    replied
    Originally posted by Gringo Grande
    1) Every one of the students went for a scarfhold position when attempting dominance...is this normal in Judo?
    I've recently started judo too, you do realize that in judo rules, you can win by pinning for 25 seconds right? When you're talking about this, are these the things that they were doing to you?

EDIT: working on links to pics
    Last edited by Te No Kage!; 8/16/2004 8:16pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Te No Kage!
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue Flames
    OK then let me rephrase that. MMA fighters will usually go into a ring without a shirt becuase A they get hot and 2 they can get choked by there own shirt. not to say you couldnt choke somone with a shirt cuz you defintely can. but im saying, not ALL gi chokes work with shirts. most of them do though.
    you mean like Yoshida.....

Leave a comment:

• Meat Shake
    replied
    Glad to hear you found something that suits you.
    Im not quite sure, but are people arguing that you can pull off all of the same gi throws without a gi?
    That confuses me.... Most people Ive trained with who never train without gi has their entire game go to shit when the gi comes off.
    If you dont believe me about the gi/no gi thing, give it about 1 more year of training hard with your gi on ALL the time, then one day ask your instructor to go shirtless.
    ... Then you get sweaty, and half of your no gi game goes to shit on top of what you already lost from being to used to wrestling with a gi on.

Leave a comment:

• Gringo Grande
    replied
    Greese,

A question for you...I worked out with some of his students...the gi slowed me down terribly but I'm happy for the technical refinement that I know is coming from it. I was surprised by 2 things in particular during my first 3 hours.

2) None of them seemed familiar with an omaplata...I'll be the first to admit I'm tall with long legs and exceptionally flexible...I've surprised a number of people with the oma...but it didn't seem to by a standard Judo move to these guys. Any insight into that?

Also, since you are a BJJ/Judo practitioner...what do you find effective for a BJJ guy against a Judoka? None of the lower belt students seemed comfortable to pull guard.

Thanks for answering,

Gringo Grande

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X