Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asia
    WTF?:confused:

Are you saying that you can't choke pple w/o the gi?

I choked pple in t-shirts!
    I've also throwm people in t-shirts. The shirt gets ripped to hell, but the person still hits the ground hard. :-)

Comment

the shirt is often the first weapon people go for with no experience pul it over somones head and beat them.

Comment

Which is bad ass for Judoka... I get wood thinking about what would happen if some fuck grabbed my shirt in a fight...In all honesty I think my heart would stop for 1/10th of a beat, marvelling at the 1000's of way I can kill the poor fucker.
        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

mmm. . .
          judo gooood. . .
          hulk smash!
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I spend a lot of my time drilling my throws from someone grabbing me. Great for Judo tournaments since your opponent is going to be fighting you for a grip. Give some token resistance, let him go for a grip, as soon as he gets it, go for the throw. Cathces most people off guard.
            And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

That scarf hold sub is a body choke, aka suffocation

Comment

There are a lot of subs from Kesa. The smother being probably the least effective.

Comment

Greese,

A question for you...I worked out with some of his students...the gi slowed me down terribly but I'm happy for the technical refinement that I know is coming from it. I was surprised by 2 things in particular during my first 3 hours.

1) Every one of the students went for a scarfhold position when attempting dominance...is this normal in Judo?
                  2) None of them seemed familiar with an omaplata...I'll be the first to admit I'm tall with long legs and exceptionally flexible...I've surprised a number of people with the oma...but it didn't seem to by a standard Judo move to these guys. Any insight into that?

Also, since you are a BJJ/Judo practitioner...what do you find effective for a BJJ guy against a Judoka? None of the lower belt students seemed comfortable to pull guard.

Thanks for answering,

Gringo Grande
                  MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
                  (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

Glad to hear you found something that suits you.
                    Im not quite sure, but are people arguing that you can pull off all of the same gi throws without a gi?
                    That confuses me.... Most people Ive trained with who never train without gi has their entire game go to shit when the gi comes off.
                    If you dont believe me about the gi/no gi thing, give it about 1 more year of training hard with your gi on ALL the time, then one day ask your instructor to go shirtless.
                    ... Then you get sweaty, and half of your no gi game goes to shit on top of what you already lost from being to used to wrestling with a gi on.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Flames
                      OK then let me rephrase that. MMA fighters will usually go into a ring without a shirt becuase A they get hot and 2 they can get choked by there own shirt. not to say you couldnt choke somone with a shirt cuz you defintely can. but im saying, not ALL gi chokes work with shirts. most of them do though.
                      you mean like Yoshida.....

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Comment

Originally posted by Gringo Grande
                        1) Every one of the students went for a scarfhold position when attempting dominance...is this normal in Judo?
                        I've recently started judo too, you do realize that in judo rules, you can win by pinning for 25 seconds right? When you're talking about this, are these the things that they were doing to you?

EDIT: working on links to pics
                        Last edited by Te No Kage!; 8/16/2004 8:16pm, .
                        "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Comment

kata gatame
                          Attached Files

Comment

kuzure tate shiho gatame
                            Attached Files

Comment

tate shiho gatame
                              Attached Files

Comment

YOSHIDA, dont bring up that cheater in my presence. Gracie OWNED HIM and he cant live with that and neither can japan.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X