Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blitzkrieg
    replied
    Well when I am doing any blocking drills or sparring I tend to block more from a southpaw stance. I feel a little more centered and strong from there. I dont mind attacking from either orthodox or southpaw but my power hand is my right while my low leg kicking leg is my left... makes for a weird combo

Leave a comment:

• Gezere
    replied
    Yes

Orthodox= Left side forward. The majority have their right side as the POWER side. So you set up with the left and knock em down with the right

Southpaw= Opposite as above but many south paws actually fight with strong side forward. Which is why South Paws are switch hitters.

Leave a comment:

• Smeagol
    replied
    orthodox is left foot forward and southpaw is right foot forward?

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Mixed.

The funny: Some days ago i was sparring with the only southpaw guy at the gym and he was "schooling" me (i was fighting othodox). Then i began to spar southpaw, and after a little time he asked me to be orthodox again because i was "confusing" him.

Leave a comment:

• SamHarber
    replied
    I'm just confused. My escrima got me used to fighting southpaw, the standup I'm doing is all orthodox. I keep wanting to swap between the two now, but when I do I momentarily get confused leaving a nice big opening.

Leave a comment:

• Aitrus
    replied
    i prefer left, but am forced to use right a LOT. We mostly do right handed during training.. althought sometimes we'll take a few classes and switch it up..-.-!

anyways.. have you ever found that if you do a technique with a certain hand and then switch.. the hand you switch to is already good?

Leave a comment:

• Mox_Mox
    replied
    Orthodox 90% of the time, I only go southpaw to throw jump knees or when entering the clinch.

Leave a comment:

• Omar
    replied
    Originally posted by Asia
    Many you guys must be new to this. Haven't heard the old boxing saying:

ALL SOUTHPAWS ARE SWITCH HITTERS!!!:D
    Damn.

You made my post seem so irrelevant.

Anyways....switch hitter, but I usually start off southpaw.

Leave a comment:

• Moleculo
    replied
    Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Gezere
    replied
    Many you guys must be new to this. Haven't heard the old boxing saying:

ALL SOUTHPAWS ARE SWITCH HITTERS!!!:D

Leave a comment:

• Moleculo
    replied
    I train and fight both.

Leave a comment:

• Emevas
    replied
    I'm right handed. In southpaw, I have a really strong jab and a decent cross, while in orthodox, I have a decent jab and a killer cross. I prefer orthodox.

Leave a comment:

• Antagony
    replied
    I start fighting in orthodox, but I usually switch a few times during a fight. eg, I whiff a roundkick so I just plant it into a southpaw stance and fight like that for a bit. Pretty comfortable for me either way.

Or a better example, when I pushkick from the rear leg, I usually just put it down so that I'm in southpaw.

Leave a comment:

• Left-Hook
    replied
    southpaw fighting, but I write with my right hand...go figure

Leave a comment:

• Jaguar Wong
    replied
    I fight squared up (hips, chest and face all forward). I keep my arms to my sides (slightly out with hands held as tight fists), chin up and slightly forward, and look of pure evil in my eye, and my chest puffed out to invoke fear in my enemies.

but sometimes I like to use the ol' orthodox stance. I'm a lefty, but my right hand and leg are the power limbs, so orthodox is best all around. I can get some decent power out of my lead leg kicks with the left leg, so that helps a lot as well. But if I'm having a hard time with someone, I switch up to southpaw, because my lead hand hook is better on the right side (which I like to counter punch with). Plus it puts my accurate leg in the back for more power hitting much more difficult targets (It allows me to use more spin kicks, as well as using roundhouse kicks at all levels). Although I was recently pwned by a friend of mine in both stances, but it was still a lot of fun.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X