Orthodox or Southpaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orthodox or Southpaw?

I am just wondering who is orthodox and who is Southpaw?
    I am a combination, however i feel very comfortable in the Southpaw stance considering i am right handed. Maybe its because your lead hand and foot make a lot of contact. Like what bruce lee said in the tao of JKD. However, i like orthodox, because i have a nice right cross and left hook. So let me know.

I'm left handed, so if I want to strike, I'll go southpaw, but most of the time I'm looking to takedown my opponent and it's easier to do that from an orthodox stance, although most people don't notice any of this.

Comment

I'm in orthodox unless I'm doing a lot of kicking.
      Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Comment

orthodox....more natural for me.

Comment

At the moment I use orthodox, even though I'm left-handed. Don't have to reverse what the kru teaches every time.

Comment

I am right handed but I use both stances I usually go southpaw because it's just like my stronger side. Like what Bruce Lee said.

Comment

I switch depending on my opponent. I feel comfortable either way.

Comment

right handed. fight southpaw. eventually i will work on getting better at orthodox as well, so i can switch up in a fight if i need to.
                "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

im defintely orthdoxizzle

Comment

Striking: Orthodox. Coming from Karate my reverse punch side has to be back or I'm stuck with my front leg.

Grappling: Southpaw. I like to lead with my right because I can get my sweeping/throwing leg across the opponent's body faster. Maybe my kouzushi would be better if I was in Orthodox since I would get the extra momentum of having to drive that side of my body forward and across.
                    Originally posted by The Wastrel
                    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I'm southpaw when striking, but grappling I'm comfortable going either way.

Comment

My art demands both.

Comment

We train strong side forward; however, I learned to box orthodox and I feel completely comfortable in the orthodox side. My right side has more power but my left is more accurate.
                          Originally posted by Canuckyokushin
                          I would so do Buttsecks.

Comment

In the middle really. I spent 9 years with southpaw in karate. After 6 months of MMA and boxing, I don't feel as strong with my right anymore, but my left isn't as weak as before.

Comment

I'm a switch hitter, (only in fighting of course.)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X