X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukemi: Good or Bad

Hey Y'all

Had a question for all of you MMA types;

Do you practice ukemi in your daily training? Since most here are, from what I've seen, NHB/ MMA/ 'what really works' types, do you find the practice of ukemi useful- or does it have no bearing at all on what you consider 'real'?

By ukemi I mean fwd/back rolls and break falls.

BTW, I'm a n00b, so go easy!

It's neither, it's GREAT!

I love Ukemi and find it useful for many things inside and outside the ring.

Comment

My coach just had me proofread an article yesterday on the usefulness of ukemi in Judo.

Apparantly, there's a sect of Judo fighters who think teaching people how to fall correctly is "teaching them to lose" in sport.

Comment

Without good ukemi you'd break bones, right?

Comment

Gotta know how to fall.
          Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick
            Gotta know how to fall.
            Word.:cool:
            A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Comment

Yep, knowing how to fall is useful in or out of training. Although in MMA, I think breakfalls are more important by far.

Comment

Originally posted by NHB_Ben
                My coach just had me proofread an article yesterday on the usefulness of ukemi in Judo.

Apparantly, there's a sect of Judo fighters who think teaching people how to fall correctly is "teaching them to lose" in sport.

are these the same guys that teach turnouts and handsprings and whatnot? the way i see it if you are not afraid of hitting the ground you are more likely to attack and be agressive. if i attack and you counter, i may lose but i don't get hurt. if i attack you counter and i get hurt i am less likely to attack again and will be very defensive. and defense doesn't win.

also, i have yet to get in to a fight since training,but i have prolly fallen a dozen times and not hurt myself at all since then. i'd say ukemi is one of the most usefull thing you can learn.

Comment

MORE TEXAS MEAT
                  MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                  "Fag."
                  "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

good
                    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Comment

Recently i smashed my head on the concrete HARD, lost a few IQ pts I'm thinkin. If my Ukemi was better maybe i wouldn't have come out with a few minimal scratches.

Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by xero
                        Word.:cool:
                        \

Represent, brotha.
                        Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

The more I can to to prevent taking a bad fall in randori, the better. Having taken some bad spills in both Judo and Karate, ukemi is a very worthwhile part of my training. It becomes especially useful when I do takedown practice at BJJ and everyone loves to counter forward throws with Te Guruma, which is japanese for "OH SHIT WHERE IS THE FLOOR???"
                          Originally posted by The Wastrel
                          I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Ukemi training is very useful, is funny to train, and makes the newbies say OMFG, I CAN'T DO THAT!!!!

Comment

it's important, no doubt. the avoiding ukemi thing is a pure sportive bastardization designed to avoid match-ending throws but risks serious injury

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X