Experiences in Teaching MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences in Teaching MA

who here has started their own school or teaches a martial arts class? I'm going to start teaching Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan in Calgary in September and wondered if anyone would share there experiences with me. Especially if any Canadians could give me some insight into the laws/legal requirements of clubs in Canada and anything else that would be of interest.
    Thanks

Um probably dropping the label "Shaolin" would be good because the Henan Temple is copyrighting it.

Comment

I dont choose the name, but I will talk to my sifu about it. Thx.

Comment

mfs:
        Just remember:
        Teaching is a very personal thing to your students.
        It doesn't matter if there is one, or a hundred of them. Each one needs their time/acknowledgement, and to feel that you are there for them.

I doesn't really take that much from you, it's more a matter of your confidence, honesty, and attitude that you are in this together, and that you will get them through it.

One other thing. There are bad students.
        If there is a situation where you have done everything that is humanly possible for you to do for/with a student and then some, and it's still not working out. . .don't sweat it. Not everyone who takes your class will understand or, "get it" - there will always be that one (or, more) you can't do anything for. Let it go. Don't be discouraged by this. Accept it, and move on. It's not your fault.

`~/
        sigpic

Comment

thx for the advice meex. What is the best way to advertise a class? I will probably have a few friends and hangers on but apart from word of mouth how else can I attract students...
          Last edited by mudderfunkster; 7/25/2004 9:28pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by mudderfunkster
            thx for the advice meex. What is the best way to advertise a class? I will probably have a few friends and hangers on but apart from word of mouth how else can I attract students...
            What age range is your target student?
            Here are a few good ways to advertise in your community:

1) Target age: kids - do a demo at the area schools (elementary, middle & high schools, even colleges.) You could also take a few students and help out at the PTA meetings, pass out papers, seat/usher parents, man the refreshment table (in uniform, or out, the school acknowledgment will be valuable).

2) Target age: adults - do a demo at a health club, or fitness fair. . .volunteer, along with a few students, for a community event; a blood drive, charity walk, highway clean-up, etc.

3) Offer an introductory "safety" class for kids, or an "awareness & personal safety" class for women (for FREE), and make it a series given through a local library, area churches, community or civic associations, continuing education, etc.

Just get "out there" and be part of the community.

`~/
            Last edited by Meex; 7/26/2004 2:28am, .
            sigpic

Comment

mmm nam pai chuan... oh thats right-

http://www.shaolinkungfu.co.nz/

DONT FUCK WID DA NINJAS Y'ALL

Comment

Offer an introductory "safety" class for kids, or an "awareness & personal safety" class for women (for FREE),
                Meex, people should only do this if they have some valid training in this area. Giving specific "quick fix" self defence courses should not be confused with teaching your martial art.

Funkster
                - remember to get new students to fill out a quick health questionnaire so you are aware of any potential problems.
                - do not ask someone to hit you as hard & fast as they can until after you find out their previous experience in ma/boxing etc. - especially if you're stupid enough to talking to the rest of your class at the time... (painful personal lesson learned here). Actually, sod, that, don't ever underestimate the newbie in your class would be a better one.
                - don't be afraid to get it wrong, it happens
                - don't be afraid of questions and "don't know/haven't thought about that" is a valid response (caveat - too many what ifs slow down training too much - balance)

Comment

Be nice personable. A lot of schools here the instructors act all macho and like they can kick anyones ass. The people who have impressed me were the ones with the quiet confidence. When putting on demos (highly recommended) have fliers available but dont have people pushing them on to the audienece, if they want info about you they will ask.
                  Be nice always be nice. I recently saw a TKD demo in the downtown area where I live at a civic event. They did some breaking (cheap thin dried light weight wood) my son who I train who after I saw them could take out most of them if they were the same age (my son is young only 10) told me He wanted a piece of wood that they were breaking. I told him to go ask the instructor. Say" excuse me sir may I have a piece of wood" Well he handed my boy a flier and told him to come to his school.
                  Yea Ill run right over there.

Anyway you get the picture, rep and PR has a lot to do with success in opening and running a M/A school.

Oh yea make sure you have a valid( reviewed by a attourney) release of liability for them to sign and good liability insurance.
                  Last edited by OC Kid; 7/26/2004 8:01am, .

Comment

Don't teach three different ways to pass the guard in one session, it will only confuse people and they will have a hard time remembering them.
                    Teach three different techniques, one armbar, one choke, one guard-pass for example. It improves how much students remember and therefore learn A LOT.

Comment

Remember this:
                      You are teaching a MARTIAL art.
                      If you teach them something the will get them hurt, its YOUR FAULT.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalRage
                        Um probably dropping the label "Shaolin" would be good because the Henan Temple is copyrighting it.
                        :rolleyes: They are not going to stop people from using "Shaolin" to describe martial styles or names. They are trying to stop people from marketing products like Shaolin Beer, Shaolin ham, etc... that do not accord with Buddhist doctrine.

Comment

I'm copyrighting Jesus

Comment

At various times I helped friends run their little martial arts teachie thingies.

One problem I encountered a lot in members of the general public was that they weren't aggressive enough. You show the a joint lock and they do it gingerly using only their fingers. You tell them to punch you in the floating ribs and they tap you.

I think the solution is to scream "HIIIIITTTT!" or "CRANK IT! CRANK IT! LEAAAAAN INTO IT!!!!".
                            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

IIRC, my first post was about how I love teaching

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...loves+teaching

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X