Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 commandments of school searching

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Sorry, I got caught up on the whole "go forth and multiply" thing that I completely forgot about spreading the word...
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

    Comment


      #17
      I am curious, Is any of this based on fact? or are you just kidding around.

      I haven't shopped many schools so I have no idea what is out there.

      Comment


        #18
        lol nice, I like this thread, it takes the funniest parts of the bible (the commandments) and mixes it with the dissing of mcdojos... very nice!

        Comment


          #19
          Re: 10 commandments of school searching

          Originally posted by miguksaram
          9)Thou shalt not falsely accuse your art as some 3,000 year old mystic decendant from aliens. I have Google and I will use it.
          9a)Thou shall not claim that your art is the most deadly known to man and has techniques forbidden to be taught.
          "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
          - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

          This forum is getting downright retarded.
          - Osiris

          Comment


            #20
            No Traditional Tom,
            the funniest part of the Bible is when Elijah is going up against the prophets of Baal. Elijah taunts them and in some translations, he says something much akin to "Where is your god Baal? Is he on the toilet?" Now THAT'S funny.

            Did we cover "Thou shalt not make me sign a contract?"
            SEANBABY:

            Comment


              #21
              Thou shall not require that I learn the language, extensive history, or philosophy that surrounds thy art. Counting to ten in korean, zen buddism & knowing that this lineage is the pure shit, has no relevence to self defence or learning how to fight

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by cricket
                I am curious, Is any of this based on fact? or are you just kidding around.

                I haven't shopped many schools so I have no idea what is out there.
                Both. It is based on a lot of crap that is out there. I am just trying to find a bit of humor in the sadness that is in the martial arts world.
                Jeremy M. Talbott

                Originally posted by Phrost
                "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
                Originally posted by D.Murray
                "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
                Originally posted by hangooknamja88
                My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


                SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Deamo_Nangel
                  Thou shall not require that I learn the language, extensive history, or philosophy that surrounds thy art. Counting to ten in korean, zen buddism & knowing that this lineage is the pure shit, has no relevence to self defence or learning how to fight
                  I disagree with this. Knowing how to count to 10, basic terminology and the mentality behind any art are important. Some of them are simpler than others, granted, and you don't need to know everything about every art. However, if you chose to study an art, then study it's history too. Imagine boxing without knowing who Ali was?

                  Knowing your basic terminology also helps in understanding a technique when discussing it with another person from another art...if we all just gave them our own names, we'd all be saying the same thing in different ways. Wastes time.

                  I think we need to add this:

                  "As an instructor, thou shalt be able to see thy toes (unless thou art pregnant, in which case WHY ARE YOU TRAINING?!) and be able to get up from a seated position without going 'ooooooomf!' In other words, teachers can't be lazy fat-asses!"
                  Regards,
                  CrimsonTiger

                  "Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
                  One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
                  Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Thou shalt allow reputable visiting instructors from other arts to attend and to teacheth thy classes every once in a while.

                    Thou shalt not consider thyself a kali expert simply because thou knowest sumbrada and siniwalli. Neither shalt thou incorporate said drills in thy class and call it a "weapons program."
                    SEANBABY:

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by CrimsonTiger
                      I disagree with this. Knowing how to count to 10, basic terminology and the mentality behind any art are important. Some of them are simpler than others, granted, and you don't need to know everything about every art. However, if you chose to study an art, then study it's history too. Imagine boxing without knowing who Ali was?

                      Knowing your basic terminology also helps in understanding a technique when discussing it with another person from another art...if we all just gave them our own names, we'd all be saying the same thing in different ways. Wastes time.

                      I think we need to add this:

                      "As an instructor, thou shalt be able to see thy toes (unless thou art pregnant, in which case WHY ARE YOU TRAINING?!) and be able to get up from a seated position without going 'ooooooomf!' In other words, teachers can't be lazy fat-asses!"
                      Ok I will agree with you on the language to a point, but I really see no reason why I need some fat white christian guy teaching me zen budhism, or having me memorize the extensive history of their art form's lineage, a basic over view is reasonable, but I really don't think I need to know any more than that.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        That's right, Deamo. Skip the crap and show me how it works. I said that to a McDojo instructor and he said "that's the Western way of thinking". I couldn't help but laugh.

                        If more people wanted clarity, you wouldn't have all the mumbo jumbo that's out there.
                        SEANBABY:

                        Comment

                        Collapse

                        Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                        Working...
                        X