"art" and "artists"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"art" and "artists"

why do we use the super-gay terms martial "arts" and martial "artists"? art is for fashion-conscious chain smoking skinnies that dress in black and wear berets, not for smelly weirdos who unleash their deeply held anger by beating each other up.

don't give me that "martial arts are purrty" bullshit either. if it was an art, they should call it dance.

i say we call it reciprocal pain skills or RPS. you learn to take pain and give pain.

imagine this:

hot chick: what do you do for fun?
    you: martial arts
    hot chick: haha
    hot chick's friends: (misc. bruce lee noises and pantomimed karate chops)

vs this:

hot chick: what do you do for fun
    you: RPS
    hot chick: what's that? are you in the military becaues you sure are using a cool acronym!
    you: yes. it stands for reciprocal pain skills
    hot chick: take me now...

yeah, that would rule
    Last edited by Jenfucius; 7/18/2004 7:19am, .

plus RPS could stand for "rocket-propelled semen"

Comment

not for smelly weirdos who unleash their deeply held anger by beating each other up.
      Are you sure it is that, or is it smelly weirdos who seek to express their suppressed homo-eroctic desires by rolling around on the mat with each other while dry humping (refer back to gay judo thread)???

Honestly the term Martial Art has been around for a long time to refer to any martial (combat) skill. Be it medieval swordplay, asian combat, boxing, etc. I am sure if we went and did some digging into the actual etemology of the term that we could find out why it is used, but I am too lazy for that.

Comment

homos have been around since the time of the ancient greeks, that doesn't mean that i want to identify myself as one.

Comment

Re: "art" and "artists"

Originally posted by Jenfucius

imagine this:

hot chick: what do you do for fun?
          you: martial arts
          hot chick: haha
          hot chick's friends: (misc. bruce lee noises and pantomimed karate chops)

This would happen all the time.

Jen has finally realized why he doesn't pull. RPS rulez

Comment

And people pay me out for posting insane comments.

Jenfucius what the fuck are you on about ?

Stop asking these silly bullshit questions with your weird personal views. Martial arts is what is used to describe any fighting style. Western or Eastern, Karate or Kung fu, Judo or Wrestling. Martial arts is what people identify fighting styles with.

Why do you post this crap ? This and that other thread about what people do in the gym that pisses you off. Just call it martial arts , o.k ?
            Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

So you did join Kyokushin at the end, eh Hannibal?

Comment

I see you've kept up. Well done.
                Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
                  I see you've kept up. Well done.
                  ? ?

Comment

Yes. I did join Kyokushin.

Comment

When someone tries to tell me by doing bjj I'm doing a sport, not a martial art, there's an easy answer. Yeah, I do a martial sport, and you do a martial art. So that makes me a martial athlete (or if I want extra points, a COMBAT Athlete), and you a martial artist. Which sounds more dangerous to you?

Comment

wow, hannibal is dumb.

Comment

Re: "art" and "artists"

Originally posted by Jenfucius
                          why do we use the super-gay terms martial "arts" and martial "artists"? art is for fashion-conscious chain smoking skinnies that dress in black and wear berets, not for smelly weirdos who unleash their deeply held anger by beating each other up.
                          I can tell you why I use the term martial artist, I will use point form since I dont like writing coherent essay form paragraphs.

1) Everyone who does martial arts will do their moves a little different. Everyone who kicks, kicks a little different than the next guy/gal. Maybe you chamber higher, maybe you chamber lower, maybe your kick is so fluid it doesnt look as if you chamber at all. Maybe you hold your hands in a defensive position or maybe you flare around like a pheonix.

2) Martial Arts, just like painting, ballet, music or any other art is an expression of yourself. Forms look like dances when done very well. They dont like much like fighting to me. The point? You paint a picture of sorrow when sad, you paint a picture or fire when mad. Thus, you may choose a slower kata when upset or such and a faster one or faster paced training when you're pumped

3) Martial arts is more than just fighting! If you train to just fight, I really think you should question calling yourself a martial artist rather than a fighter. I'm not going to give that whole walk into the wind and look the other way crap. Be the good Kung Fu master that you need to be.

Martial arts can teach people about strategy in war, fighting and arguements/debates. These too are expressions of yourself. All fighters fight different, its just the way it is. Some people like to kick from a distance and clinch when that range is broken, some throw punches non stop and waiting for the blood splattering sounds. The point? Style and expression through your choice of attacks and defense.

4) Take 10 black belts from any same martial art and I can almost guarentee that they will all have slightly different form. Some people raise to their toes when kicking, some rotate it so they can better extend their muscles and tendants.

All Martial Artists like all other practitioners or arts are different from one another. It is an art, and it is beautiful

Comment

Hahaha, ninjas are funny.
                            MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                            "Fag."
                            "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

KumaOni, everyone who plays basketball takes jumpshots in a slightly different way. Every wrestler shoots a double leg a little differently. Every golfer has a different swing. Every cook makes chicken differently. Every ninja spouts crap slightly differently. That doesn't mean artist is the right word to use.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X