Sparred with Korean swordsmanship today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparred with Korean swordsmanship today

Anthony Boyd, a friend from Korea who practiced Haidong Gumdo for 7 years, had paid us a visit in Hong Kong and we had a blast sparring each other. You may read the report of the event here:
    http://www.rsw.com.hk/activities.htm#anthony

edit: thanks for the reminder. Changed the title. :)
    Last edited by Chan Lancelot; 7/17/2004 3:21pm, .

Not to be a choad, but you can't spar swordsmanship. You can spar swordsmen, with good swordsmanship, but you can't spar swordsmanship itself.

Choadness aside.

That's pretty fucking cool, man. Sounds like fun.

Comment

Yeah!
      Good going!
      Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Or...he actually fought a ship full of swordsmen, hence swordsmanship.

Comment

Correction still needed there, It would be Swordsman Ship. Forgot the space.

Comment

i didn't know boyd did kumdo

Comment

is it pretty much like kendo?
              SEANBABY:
              "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Yes, Kendo was brought over to Korea during the Japanese colonial period. The Koreans later referred to it in their native language "Gumdo" or "Kumdo". Yudo = Judo, Tang Soo Do or Kong Soo Do = Karate Do

Comment

actually although kumdo is much like kendo, haidong gumdo is a martial art very unlike kendo with its emphasize on more freestyled sparring and flowing if not fancier movements, haidong= ocean east, gumdo=way of the sword

Comment

haidong gumdo a a bastard son of iaido and wushu, as far as i can tell. straight up kumdo is pretty much kendo with a few reconstructed forms.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X