Long Island (NY) Dojo Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Island (NY) Dojo Advice

I am totally new to Bullshido, however read some articles and was very intrigued and impressed by the quality of the writing. Please refrain from any flames if this sort of thread is unwelcome, simply tell me and let it die.

A little background on me and my situation (Skip if you're not in the mood for a story!): I live in the burbs of New York City, on Long Island. I have been into martial arts as long as I can remember, mostly due to my Dad who although only lived with me for a very short period of my life has taught me and has continued to teach me much of his extensive knowledge of the martial arts. I am not completely certain what ranks he holds in what arts, but I know that he has at least taken some form of Karate, Judo, Aikido, some form of Kung Fu and Kendo as well as being a wrestler (high school). For a few years I tried training in a dojo for the first time in shotokan karate under Olympic silver medallist Howard Friedman (not sure on spelling). Around when I reached green belt, I stepped up my training regiment and gave myself tendonitis in the legs, thusly ending my martial arts career for quite a while. Now I'm almost totally better (still not as flexible as I used to be, but that can be fixed) and am looking to get back into the martial arts scene.

Start here if you don't want to read a story:
    I am looking for any recommendations for schools on Long Island available. I am currently looking at the possibilities of a few schools and of course will investigate/do trial classes before committing. However advice can still go a long way if first hand. So here are the schools in consideration in no order:

The New York Martial Arts Academy (Little Neck) www.nymaa.com/jkd.html
    A Jeet Kune Do school that supposedly teaches a variety of different things, however from what I have heard from one who has attended, reject the idea of blocking all together...which seems a bit strange to me. It could still be interesting.

The Aikido School of Self Defense (Little Neck)
    www.ngaikido.com/
    An Aikido school, which teaches Nihon Goshin Aikido, which is apparently different than traditional Aikido. After doing research on the subject it is claimed to be a more "street effective" style in that it incorporate strikes. I am slightly unsure about this place because of it.

Asian American Martial Arts (Manhasset)
    A school, which advertising teaching Muay Thai, Tai Chi, and "Shaolin Kung Fu". This seems to be a little bit contradictory in terms of easy detection of mcdojos. Muay Thai places are typically legit, but a claim of Shaolin Kung Fu might be a bit out there. Further investigation needed.

Tiger Schulman's Karate (Great Neck)
    www.tsk.com
    This place confuses me to no end. I have always just passed it off as a chain mcdojo and never even considered it. Recently when starting my search for a new place to train, I found out that two of the kids/teens that go there (who's names I can't recall) were or are winners of well-known events in mma/grappling. Upon slightly further research it seems like that have some higher placing people in such competitions fairly consistently. I may just need to try it myself to be able to make any judgments.

North Shore Shotokan (Great Neck)
    A school I attended in the past, and pretty much my fall back if everything falls through. I know this place is legit beyond a shadow of a doubt, but shotokan really isn't what I'm looking for. I'm not too keen on doing katas again. If nothing else works, I can always just working on my basics there though.

Ben Hur Tae Kwon Do Inc (Little Neck)
    The storefront window advertises that it teaches Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. If this place is legit and all, Hapkido might be cool to take. I really don't know much about this place, and thusly can't make any judgments. Further investigation needed

For any that made it this far, I congratulate you for wading through my long and often tangential writing. Thanks in advance for anything positive contributed (even if it is simply just "you can't/shouldn't post a thread like this here).

Any opinion on those listed, or other suggestions of schools in the area would be welcome.

Last second thought: During proof reading, I realized that at no point did I mention what I was looking for. I would prefer something more based in sparring/grappling than forms, but in the end I am just looking for some place to go to learn something new and/or improve myself physically.

Out of those schools, you'll probably want tiger schulman.

Comment

Re: Long Island (NY) Dojo Advice

Originally posted by Gypsy Jazz
      Tiger Schulman's Karate (Great Neck)
      www.tsk.com
      This place confuses me to no end. I have always just passed it off as a chain mcdojo and never even considered it. Recently when starting my search for a new place to train, I found out that two of the kids/teens that go there (who's names I can't recall) were or are winners of well-known events in mma/grappling. Upon slightly further research it seems like that have some higher placing people in such competitions fairly consistently. I may just need to try it myself to be able to make any judgments.
      Definitely a large chain with the contracts, wood breaking and other elements which are frowned upon my the majority on this board. I too passed it off for many years as well ...BUT now train there regularly. I had done both tradional and reality-based systems in the past and found their program to be a great fit for what I was looking for.

If you are looking for traditonal karate, TSK is NOT the place. The style could be described as a combination of MT and submission grappling in a Kyokoshin wrapper. It's a marketing machine which as created "MMA for the masses". They market heavily towards to housewives and parents, but there is a strong competitive element as well. TSK sends students to NAGA, golden gloves and regional MMA events with consistently good results. If you are interested in that kind of hybrid style, it is worth checking out. PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

(The instructor in the Great Neck school is Mike Stine. Great guy and good fighter. He recently won an MMA championship in April).
      Last edited by punchingdummy; 7/16/2004 1:42pm, .

Comment

Well, I was considering some of the same schools as you, I live in Bayside. I found my school by chance online, www.pmajkd.com. It really does kick ass, ask GojuJKDdude. The advanced students compete regularly in MMA and San Shou/Kickboxing tournaments, there's actually a tournament tomorrow that four of our guys are fighting in.

Comment

storefront mcdojo-fest all the way. good luck sucking!

Comment

GYpsy...do a search on "Stine" and, in addition to a small reference to Mike Stine, you will find a long Bullshido thread on Tiger Schulmann. You'll get opinions from all sides (pro and con).

If you go to the fight team section on the TSK web site I believe there are a couple of videos of Mike Stine's fights...all pretty short because his fights tend to end in quick knock outs. I believe he is undefeated in MMA (not sure). Not all of his fights are there (including his recent championship), but you can get a flavor of who is training you. Aside from his fighting skills, he's a good instructor. I started grappling as a student of his a few years ago (before he went to Great Neck) and was very pleased. If you live in Great Neck and are interested in MMA, you owe it to yourself to at least check the school out.

(...and you will not have to do forms!)
            Last edited by punchingdummy; 7/16/2004 6:02pm, .

Comment

i heard that he sucks good dick too

Comment

If you want to stay TMA contact a user here called RAUL PEREZ he teachs in the OYATA RYUTE system. Okinawian kempo www.ryushu.com. He also posts at www.fightingarts.com
                ----------------------------------------
                After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfucius
                  storefront mcdojo-fest all the way. good luck sucking!
                  Was that directed toward my school? Or the ones he listed. If it was toward mine, you make me a sad man.

Comment

if by "sad man" you mean "a pussy-whipped bitch-boy" then you are correct!

Comment

Jen's a wuss who was to take steroids in order to get a girl to talk to him. Ignore him.

Mike Stine is undefeated in MMA and nobody has lasted more than 1:30 with him. He's won quckly by knockout and triangle choke. The only guy left for him to fight thats sub-class A would be Jordan Pergola, other than that I think you'll see Stine in the UFC or other big name event fairly soon. I'd say within a year he'll be taking Baroni's place because he has everything Baroni has but isn;t a fukk-up like Baroni.

TSK has to many MMA fighters to even count anymore. All of them do well.

The NAGA is the largest and most successful grappling competiton in the U.S. with teams like American Top Team, Renzo Gracie, Loyd Irvin, Royler Gracie etc. In every NAGA that TSK competes at they finish either 1st or 2nd, losing only to team Renzo Gracie and competing in the top divisions.

Can you imagine Stine sparring with Jenfucius? That would be the beating of a lifetime....we could sell it on Bullshido for $19.99 a pop :D
                      "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

The thing that seperates TSK from alot of schools, and the element that makes them so succsesful in MMA, boxing, kickboxing and submission, is that their instructors have gone through EXTENSIVE classes learning how to TEACH.

Most schools have a martial artist as an instructor but the guy has never taken the time to learn how to teach someone effectively. You can be a great fighter but be a lousy teacher. I doubt we'll ever see Mike Tyson coach someone to box. Tyson is a fighter, not a teacher.

Take a look at how MISERABLE Ken Shamrock does when he trains with The Lion's Den. His striking looked TERRIBLE because he doesn't have a capable trainer. He has training partners instead.

Its pretty amazing when you have a school like TSK, which was very heavily Kyokushin based, pick up grappling in 4 years and have people with no prior grappling experience compete with some of the best guys from the top BJJ/Sambo schools. That shows you they're accomplishing their goals in training and progressing. Thats the sign of a good instructor.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

i'm surprised that you took a long enough break from sucking mike stine's cock to write all of that, you faggot.
                          Last edited by Jenfucius; 7/17/2004 9:40am, .

Comment

Eat me queer bait. You like to talk about cock an awful lot, have you noticed that? Is something on your mind that you need to share with the rest of us? If thats your thing man, then go ahead and suck away! It doesn't bother me if you want to suck the root, just don't include me in your fantasy please.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

you sure know a lot about sucking cock huh? somehow that's not surprising.

Comment

Working...
                              X