Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Wukong
    replied
    Well, the only part of the 'rant' i take issue with is the part about being good at both striking and grappling.

you don't have to know both. You don't even have to know how to fight if you are lucky and smart.

If you want to try and be the 'ultimate warrior' sure. I love judo; i like goshin jutsu; i like beer and pizza too. Most people don't know how to fight to save their arse at all; even most 'martial artists'. most of the rational people here know exactly why that is even if it's hard to directly articulate why and be completely comprehensive of the whole issue.

And that's what it comes down to right? being comprehensive of the whole issue. Well is it necessary to be completely comprehensive? Do you really need to or is it even possible to be completely comprehensive about 'the big picture'?

when i was growing up there was this kid, i couldn't fight with him at all for one reason or another. Ironically enough, the kid that would pick on him, i could had beaten senseless on a few occasions even though they were older and bigger than me. I know this is just a playground anecdote, but i believe that it makes a pretty good metaphore to explain a larger issue.

Their are too many possible variables to make it within most people's grasp to be any where near 100% comprehensive, let alone maintain it for a lenghty period of time. That's why all those guys from history talked about training 12 hours a day. That's one of the reasons why so many martial arts schools would specialize in history, in one way or another if only to beat the guy in the next village's school or to be so good at just a few techniques to give the the winning edge on a reliable basis.

Just make sure that what you know is reliable most of the time. If you are doing this because you are on some educational tour of the martial arts and you love this stuff because it makes you feel good and you have a hell of a time doing it, then learn whatever the hell you want. Even it's the martial applications of underwater ballet.
    Last edited by Sun Wukong; 7/14/2004 5:32pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Fight, scrap, altercation, love making, attitude adjusting, mating ritual.
    You say tomayto, I say tomahto...

Leave a comment:

• SlimJim
    replied
    Ronin...good rant.

As far as the opening of your first post, here you go:

Leave a comment:

• Beatdown Richie
    replied
    > I would NOT call one guy pushing and the other guy knocking him out a fight.
    fight : 3 a) A physical conflict between two or more individuals.
    (From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fight )
    physical? check
    conflict? check
    two individuals? check
    Yup, that was a fight.

Leave a comment:

• j416to
    replied
    Most non-medical/scientific scales are not very accurate when it comes to measuring absolute values. But they're pretty good at predicting trends, or measuring relative quantities. Thus I suspect that your scale was calibrated to measure the difference between a couple of "set" points, the so-called typical values for an average non-athletic person, and an athlete. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also based solely on the percentage of water verse body mass, and couldn't tell the difference between 100lbs of fat or 100lbs of muscle, and therefore used some "typical" values for athletes verses non-athletic people. And that their definition of an athlete, being someone who did 10 hrs of cardio a week, was just something dreamt up by their marketing dept, to connect with their targetted customers.

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
    > 100 % of all REAL fights, NOT scraps, not a drunken guy
    > getting beat up, not two kids punching each other in the face,
    > REAL fights, that is to say: Between 2 people that KNOW how to fight.
    what you really want to say is, 100% of fights that involve both striking and grappling involve striking and grappling. No Real Scotsman fallacy, anyone?

Look at the Danzig fight: I hope you won't argue that the push was a grappling move. Danzig has trained MA for a good long time AFAIK, even if it doesn't show. "Real fight" or not?
    I would NOT call one guy pushing and the other guy knocking him out a fight.
    If that were the case, I would have had dozens of fights under my belt...oh wait... I just figured out Rickson Gracies 400 victory record !!!

Leave a comment:

• pst
    replied
    The Beaver hath spoken.

Good posting Ronin.

Leave a comment:

• Beatdown Richie
    replied
    > 100 % of all REAL fights, NOT scraps, not a drunken guy
    > getting beat up, not two kids punching each other in the face,
    > REAL fights, that is to say: Between 2 people that KNOW how to fight.
    what you really want to say is, 100% of fights that involve both striking and grappling involve striking and grappling. No Real Scotsman fallacy, anyone?

Look at the Danzig fight: I hope you won't argue that the push was a grappling move. Danzig has trained MA for a good long time AFAIK, even if it doesn't show. "Real fight" or not?

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    You bring out a good point,
    A while back I got one of those bodyfat scales , Tantia or some shit like that, and they have two settings, one for the everyday male and female and one for "athletes", now, if I remember correctly, the athlete setting was for those who do a MIN. of 10 hours of CARDIO per week.
    Now, the way this scale works is that, it send an electriccal current through the body and depending on how much fat ( and water) you have in your body, it will take X amount of time and thuse calculate the bodyfat %.
    Now, what the fuck THAT has to do with cardio is BEYOND me, because if ANYTHING is gonna change the reading its MUSCLE MASS and cardio does NOT effect muscle mass in a GOOD way.
    I guy with more muscle mass, ie: bodybuilder, will have more much more muscle and weight then some guy that does 10 hours of cardio, right?
    So what the fuck does cardio have to do with "being an athlete" under THESE circumstances ???
    Can you tell me that !?!?!?!?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• j416to
    replied
    Re: Another rant...

Originally posted by ronin69

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Let me clear up the "100% of all fights involve striking and grappling" comment.
    100 % of all REAL fights, NOT scraps, not a drunken guy getting beat up, not two kids punching each other in the face, REAL fights, that is to say: Between 2 people that KNOW how to fight.

And don't forget, anything other than a strike is grappling move.

Leave a comment:

• Green Meanie
    replied
    Re: Another rant...

Originally posted by ronin69

Leave a comment:

• Dochter
    replied
    any clinching?

Leave a comment:

• Dochter
    replied
    Now I'm confused then. If you're simply jealous why was it in your rant as a bad thing?

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Re: Re: Another rant...

Originally posted by Dochter
    \

I was going to comment on this based on your reply to the informal survey thread I started.

The thing is ronin, you have a family.

Lots of the people here are mid-late 20 males if I recall what Phrost said correctly. Frankly if you're single at that age all you do is drink and try and get laid.

When I was single I usually lifted 4-5 days a week and got in a solid 6-8 hours of ma training a week. I didn't have anything better to do and had the energy food and time that it didn't matter. I now wish I had trained something a little more "live" but I liked the instructor too much, even after I saw the differences between myself and the rest of the school.

The point is, for lots of people it doesn't matter. If they're single or at least not married it isn't a time sink.

Now my training is limited because I don't want to get home after 8 every night. That's my and your choice.
    Agreed, 100%, when I was single I would train like a madman, but now, all I have are my rants !!!
    And ENVY for all those that can workout so much !!
    May you all get matburn on your nads !!!

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X