Jun Fan Gung Fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jun Fan Gung Fu

I couldn't find any specific threads in the forum search, so bear with me...

From what I can tell, Jun Fan Gung Fu is the predecessor to if not the exact same thing as Jeet Kune Do. Can anyone correct or elaborate?

Jun Fan Gung Fu and Jeet Kune Do are NOT the same. (Hopefully I can save Omega and others a tiraid)

Jun Fan Gung Fu is an unfounded* system that Bruce Lee developed.

Jeet Kune Do is a CONCEPT that Bruce Lee established.

*I say unfounded because I haven't come across anything where Bruce says he has founded Jun Fan Gung Fu to be interchangeable to JKD. JFGF has been the name pple gave the core techniques Bruce taught while in Seattle.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Asia
      Jun Fan Gung Fu and Jeet Kune Do are NOT the same. (Hopefully I can save Omega and others a tiraid)

Jun Fan Gung Fu is an unfounded* system that Bruce Lee developed.

Jeet Kune Do is a CONCEPT that Bruce Lee established.

*I say unfounded because I haven't come across anything where Bruce says he has founded Jun Fan Gung Fu to be interchangeable to JKD. JFGF has been the name pple gave the core techniques Bruce thought.
      "Chinese Gung Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self Defense"
      Is the first book Bruce Lee wrote on Gung Fu/Kung Fu. Presumably this was "Jun Fan" Kung Fu or whatever. Jun Fan was Bruce Lee's name in Chinese. So it was "Bruce Lee's Kung Fu"
      "I'll Try To Be Nicer, If You'll Try To Be Smarter "

"When You Are Standing on the Edge of a Cliff a Step Forward Is Not Progress "

"Stonehenge, where the demons dwell, where the banshees live and they do it well..."

Comment

I have the book and yes I know his name was Jun Fan what I meant was that he wasn't calling his system Jun Fan Gung Fu. What he wrote in the book was basic gung fu that was pretty universal. I think he was just writing on Gung Fu in general. His school in seattle was the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute, I think is still in business today, but like you said he could have just meant it as Jun Fan's Gung Fu. When hear Bruce speak of his art he said he was doing JKD but not as a founded system.
        ______
        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
        -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
        The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

who do you think is the best Jun Fan master in the world?

Comment

you really need to read Matt Thornton's interviews where he talks about performance. Go to the Straight Blast Gym's website.
            SEANBABY:

Comment

but he doesn't teach jun fa.

Comment

OK. You're right. However, he's got some ideas about "performance" being the goal and not certificates, etc.

Go to www.inosanto.com and check out the video collection. Inosanto describes in one of the previews of tape #1 what Jun Fan is. I believe he is saying that Jun Fan is the body of physical techniques that Bruce put together--but don't take my word for it.

Thornton teaches the concept of aliveness. They work on stand up, clinch, and ground fighting.
                SEANBABY:

Comment

Hopefully this quote from Inasanto will help on this matter:

"I study Aikido, I study jiu-jitsu, I study Karate, I study Tae Kwon Do. I'll put it together and call it Jeet Kune Do. Is it Jeet Kune Do? It's Jeet Kune Do for them. BUT IT IS NOT THE JEET KUNE DO OF BRUCE LEE. The Jeet Kune Do of Bruce Lee has the Jun Fan Gung Fu material in the beginning and then from there they are supposed to grow and expand, that is Jeet Kune Do. And it is different for every individual. So I would say, if you did that; put Karate and Aikido and Tae Kwon Do and maybe wrestling, that could be your Jeet Kune Do, that's correct. But it is not the JKD as devised or created by Bruce Lee. Because when you see he had the Jun Fan which he thought were the basics, important, and then expand and find your own Jeet Kune Do."

- Guro Dan Inosanto

Jun Fan = Codafied Martial Art

JKD = personal expression of a philisophical concept
                  Last edited by Matt Bernius; 7/12/2004 1:59pm, .
                  Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
                  Kali, & what ever works
                  Renaissance Martial Arts
                  Rochester, NY

Comment

Nice post, Mr. Bernius.
                    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                    "Fag."
                    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

Best definition of JKD in a LONG time !

Comment

Thanks. I was really happy when I came across that one. Tends to stop these discussions before they start.
                        Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
                        Kali, & what ever works
                        Renaissance Martial Arts
                        Rochester, NY

Comment

Nothing like hearing it from the "horse's mouth".
                          A LOT of discussions would end and lots of Bullshit would be cleared up, if we had more of that.

Comment

good post, Bernius.
                            SEANBABY:

Comment

Yeah, this satisfies me. Thanks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X