BJJ Belt tests /costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ Belt tests /costs

I was wondering if it is at all common for bjj to charge for promotion. While testing costs aren't automatic McDojo characteristic it is a topic that I'm sure many of us are quickly apprehensive about due to the ease with which it can be abused.

Some guys are getting promoted to blue at my school. In addition to the 60 for a seminar with a traveling gracie they're paying another 40 or hundred (I'm not sure) for the promotion. Their promotion is however essentially determined by my instructor's say so.

Is this common at all?

In our school, the instructor hands you the belt when he thinks you've deserved it. No test, no charges, not much ceremony (well, sometimes you get whipped by the others, but other than that...).

Comment

Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
      In our school, the instructor hands you the belt when he thinks you've deserved it. No test, no charges, not much ceremony (well, sometimes you get whipped by the others, but other than that...).
      Same here. From what I've gathered, most places don't charge, or even have a ceremony or even a formal test.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
        That's what I love about bjj.

Comment

Yeah, we're a satalite school. I think it changes somethings. Tithing to the church essentially.

I've heard some other things that have made me wonder about who we're a satellite of.

Still excellent instruction is a hard find.

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any sort of ceremony or official test. You get promoted when our instructor (brown belt) thinks you ought to be. Perhaps with some observation. It isn't him giving the belt though.

Comment

Some other styles do stuff like this too. I got my blue belt from kicking my coach in the face when he wasn't letting me and got my brown belt for winning a tournament. Unfortunately for my black belt I will have to travel to Chicago and have a formal test.

Comment

If you don't have a resident black belt and one has to come in from out of town, then I think it's acceptable for some charges to cover his expenses. When you reminded me of satalite school setups, I remember that I've heard of people doing this. Seems legit to me.

Comment

Around here its when ever Dave decides you are ready to move on. No fees or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian
                  If you don't have a resident black belt and one has to come in from out of town, then I think it's acceptable for some charges to cover his expenses.
                  It certainly is reasonable for someone to expect to have their costs covered. That is why it is silly to be against testing fees all together. However, belts are being awarded after a seminar (with some pretty good cash influx right there) with little additional work involved. Its not a big concern for me, I'm still quite a ways from having to fork over any money, I was mainly wondering if it were common.

Basically in satellite schools yes, otherwise no?

Comment

Roy Harris charges $50 for the actual test and if you pass you have to pay $100 in advance for a private "follow up" lesson to be taken in the following year.

I think the main reason behind the lack of belt examination comes from a lack of general standard and curriculum in the BJJ community. I think that comprehensive exams are a good thing, promoting general technical knowledge and encouraging the practitioner to expand and improve in all aspects of their game, instead of that "one move" that they always get.

Comment

da

Comment

The school I currently train at has formal testing. My previous school, from the same organization, gives the belt when they feel your have earned it. I see the value in both. A formal test really puts the pressure on you and I have seen more than one person crack. That's a great way to see how a person handles the stress. I like the informal way because if you think you are being examined at every class, you work your ass off in every class. That's a good way to weed out those who come just to say they train in BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by CleanShave
                          That's a good way to weed out those who come just to say they train in BJJ.
                          Tapping a billion times in your first 6 months ought to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dochter
                            Tapping a billion times in your first 6 months ought to do that.
                            True dat.

Comment

And wind chokes. They're fun.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X