An evening with Rene Latosa (Escrima)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An evening with Rene Latosa (Escrima)

Just thought I'd write up a short paragraph or two about a seminar I attended with Rene Latosa on Friday.

The seminar started with him just asking us as a group to do different strikes and advances. From this it seemed he was sizing up the class. From there he started trying to guide us through a process of doing things in a natural way and doing things in a LE way to try and get us to grasp the ideas behind the moves.

Rene also was pretty clear about what was an exercise (such as a figure-eight drill) and what was more likely to happen in the street (your target moves, may attempt unorthodox techniques - like grabbing your stick).

There were a few instances where he used terms that I found a little suspect. In Latosa Escrima you generally follow your stick with your hand. When you don't you are in Rene's words "splitting your energy". Now to me that implies that if my hand is at my side when I move forward then I somehow am applying less forward force than when it's up. This of course, from a physics POV is nonsense. The hand certianly can protect you in case your stick gets forced back and considering the weight distribution of the footwork in LE it may help keep you in better balance.

Hmmm...maybe that wasn't too helpful. But explaining drill by drill seemed tedious. Anyway, any questions/comments are welcome.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X