Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everybody think Koreans care about TKD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everybody think Koreans care about TKD?

Just because I think there's a lot of assumption behind many of the threads on TKD. Then there was the other recent thread that involved somebody who anticipated that some random chunk of Korean text was a polemic against this website-turned out it was just a link.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

I know nothing about TKD. I know my korean friend got his black belt in Korea. I know he can kick my ass. Other then that, I don't know jack squat about TKD, except a lot of people on the board really don't seem to like it. I know a TKD school just opened up near me, and I am confident it totally sucks. Even though I know it sucks, I am going to check it out anyways. Do Koreans care about TKD? I don't know. I don't care either. Some people seem to have the idea that you need a Korean teacher to teach you, or what you are learning is worthless. It's funny, any old asian teaching a martial art seems to be a Level 6 Super Advanced GrandChooMaster. And they know "secret" moves.

It's not just TKD that have a lot of assumption on this board, it's just about every art. Everyone on this board is apparently an expert in everything, it's amazing. Kung Fu artists get lumped together, karateka get lumped together, and then there is the crowd that always want to bash any type of ground fighting. People see one school and assume that all the other schools must be the same way. And its always the people who really have nothing to say that keep on talking.

Comment

Thats probably the most intelligent thing I have heard on this board blueskycomplex. <Rei/Bows>

Regards,

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
      those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
      Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Comment

All of the concentration on style is really strange. Even among styles there is considerable variation in training methods. Though there are some exceptions. I've always felt that far more than style, the way you trained, especially the type, frequency and intensity of sparring was what mattered. The other thing about this problem of lumping together styles is that before the martial arts were internationalized, the same thing was going on within countries between rival schools/gyms. And last, doesn't all this debate about the practicality of certain styles miss something? Meaning, that was never the point. Kata and other practiced forms are/were merely a means of preserving knowledge in a pre-writing world. When did people become persuaded that such things had anything to do with learning to fight? Most East Asian martial arts are so wrapped up tradition and culture that you really can't separate the ritual, sport, and practical aspects from one another. If you are studying TKD or Hung Gar or Judo merely to learn how to fight, you might as well discard with names, get a small, mixed bag of really good tricks and techniques and start fighting.
        Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

It is a good response bluesky, but I just want to point out that I am not at all invested in this TKD debate. My style is simply to ask very simple questions without indicating too much of what I think. I've lived in Korea, fought in Korea (not TKD), and I think this whole TKD debate is really weird. People trot all kinds of stupid mysterious explanations. My favorite is the recurring claim that the Korean army trains in TKD. Well, they don't train in any meaningful fashion at all. I think this whole website has set up TKD as a straw man, and by extensions they've associated Korea with this nonsensical debate. As far as I can tell, most Koreans see it as a way to win medals in the Olympics. I didn't know any adult Koreans who were interested in TKD. They were much more frightened by their 250-300 lb Sireum wrestlers than they were by the hordes of children running to HKD and TKD schools.

Comment

That's really interesting Wastrel, about the the Koreans view on TKD. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it is intersting. I agree about there being too much emphasis on style and not enough on actual training and conditiong. That's one reasons ring systems do so well, a big part of it is their conditiong and actually being in the ring. Your average martial artist is not well conditioned, or has enough experience sparring. My teacher often states condition is just as, if not more important then the style itself.

In my opinion there is the martial arts community, and within that community is a small number of actual martial artists that train hard and have a genuine passion for it. Anyone can get in a martial arts class, but not everyone can be a good martial artist.

You bring up good points and I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about artists being wrapped up in tradition and artist thinking forms can help you fight. It's good to see some intelligence on the board.

Comment

From talking with my wife's family and some of my friends over there in Korea, I have found that the majority look at TKD as a martial sport. Which is exactly what the goal of WTF (to make it a national sport). Koreans do take some pride in it like we do baseball, but they don't fool themselves in thinking that it is the ultimate martial art.

Those who do take it seriously, such as Osiris's GM and even my GM are old school. They learned the kwan system before TKD was truly established. As a result they have more of a tie to it than the newer generation of instructors.

Jeremy M. Talbott
              http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
              http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
              Jeremy M. Talbott

Originally posted by Phrost
              "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
              Originally posted by D.Murray
              "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
              Originally posted by hangooknamja88
              My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

Hey, I'm not jumping on an anti-TKD bandwagon. I just think it's so kooky that people think the whole nation is worried about what some website is saying about it. You should consider my rhetorical method to be a little Socratic. I ask questions that I may know the answers to, but which someone else might need to think about. Knowwhatiamean?

Comment

I hope you weren't talking about my response to that thread, because I wasn't serious. I just was curious because it said "Here's what a Korean website had to say about us", so I assumed they would actually have said something, not just a link. Anyway, people can't tell when I'm joking in real life, I don't expect them to know I'm joking online either. As for Korea, I'm not gonna say anything, because I know nothing about it.

Comment

No bluesky, not you at all. You're one of the good guys. It's a general psychosis on this site.

Comment

"You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                      YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

Koreans like there TKD but I don't think they would be up and arms over one website. I trained TKD in Korea and seen some great fighters and some poor fighters just like anywhere else.

>My favorite is the recurring claim that the Korean army trains in TKD. Well, they don't train in any meaningful fashion at all

Actually the ROK army DOES train TKD. But they also train Kuksoolwon, Yudo, and others. And you are correct like the US Army they don't train to be proficent just for some famaliarization.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
                        ______
                        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                        -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                        The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Asia, I know I'm correct. Have you seen a ROK army unit practicing Taekwondo?

Comment

I didn't mean that to sound so terse. Remember, I said "in any meaningful fashion". You say "actually", so I guess you're trying to set me straight on a matter of fact, but there is no difference between what I said and what you said.

Comment

>Have you seen a ROK army unit practicing Taekwondo?

Yes I have first hand. They would train in the yard next to the High School on Yongsan. And I seem them train at the Osan AFB.

>but there is no difference between what I said and what you said.

I was agreeing with you. ACTUALLY is something I used often. Sorry if it came of wrong.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
                              ______
                              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                              -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                              The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                              -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X