McUniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McUniform

Clearing out my room last night I came across a variety of martial art uniforms I have donned over the last 15 years ( more costumes than G.I. Joe...)

Top of the 'I used to wear that?!!!!' has to be the old Aikido Hakama.

So, on the 6th day of Christmas....which piece of tat did your instructor make you wear?

A prize of a soggy mince pie for eveidence of the most outrageous outfit.....

Ahh.. the good old hakama.... never has a piece of cloth caused more hilarity in observers.
    With the exception of the Gold Gi worn by the 10th Dan grand master of Spirit Combat I saw at a demo a few years ago.
    I got some very odd looks when I turned up to a Systema seminar wearing a pair of jogging pants and trainers, as everyone else was wearing urban camo combat pants and para boots. Silly me for not realising :)

"The Andrew Ridgley of being beaten up"
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

A lot of the guys who wear wrestling headgear in our dojo look pretty mongoloid. At least we don't wear singlets, those things are for plum smugglers only.
      "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
      "Shadow Box"

Comment

[quote]

With the exception of the Gold Gi worn by the 10th Dan grand master of Spirit Combat I saw at a demo a few years ago.....

That would obviously be the same creased, slightly ill fitting, gold number he was wearing last year then?!!!

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me. Was he still doing the appalingly ineffective aikido combined with interpretive dance?

Comment

First of all, uniforms of any kind are total bullshit! It's just another way for the school to rip-off students. Also, what the point? Gi's are so damn uncomfortable and clumsy! If you ever had a real fight with that silly piece of cloth on it would be to your downfall. In a real fight (if i get the chance) I just love to grap someone's shirt or jacket and pull it over their heads and pummel them to the ground.

Comment

Uniforms and belts are used, almost exclusively, for profit thses days. People want ACHIEVEMENT. Give them patches, stars, stripes, belts and whatever else you can think of to get more money and keep them motivated.
              "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

motivation is for flunkies!!! In my school, we were whateva and have no uniforms, no belts, no nothing. You can either DO IT or YOU CAN'T - that's how it was done in the OLD days. The STUPID belt that hangs from a gi is the most god-awful thing I've ever donned in my life (years ago) I wore it one time in my life out of stupidity (i was a young karate dude) - thankgod I wised up!!!!

Comment

so you fought naked in a lethargic manner?!!!

Comment

No club I've ever been to ever sells the Gi's or belts to its members. We're expected to buy the appropriate belt from whichever shop we can get to. As for wearing a Gi, its just another cultural holdover from whichever country the art came from. On the plus side, they're bloody hard to damage.

Comment

I prefer it, fighting in a gi is harder. It's frustrating when your opponent grabs it and stops you moving but it makes you better.

"Blood sugar suckerfish is my dish.
                      How many pieces do you wish ?"
                      "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                      YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

I made some of the same observations about gis elsewhere. They're not going to rip and tear and you won't care if they get bloody. They're also hot, but then again I know a number of guys who only lift and run in sweatshirts and pants.

Comment

Belts can also help people in large schools tell how hard they should do a technique. This was the original purpose of belts(designed by Kano). It lets people know how hard you can slam them on the ground without them sueing you.

Comment

They also are like elementary school grade levels. They indicate what techniques a student should know, and what level of competency they should have.

Comment

I see there are different reasons for wearing a belt, but at the same time, I still don't think it's neccessary! If you need your students to wear belts to know which level their at... then there is either too many students or the teacher doesn't pay enough attention - just my opinion. In my school, the teacher KNOWS exactly where EVERYONE is at and what skill level their at.

Edited by - mastawannab on December 06 2002 16:51:09

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X