Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you get level promotions in your art!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you get level promotions in your art!

In Wing Tsun i get on a new level after every three month, of course later it's tougher. I wonder how long it would take to get a level up in (example) Judo.

To change with change is the changeless state.

Who's WT organization are you in?

"Gentlemen! No fighting in here! This is the War Room."

Comment

Depends on how you are doing. There is no set promotion...
      I have been promoted as fast as anyone in the school, and I have recieved 3 promotions in the last 2 years.
      We generally go white after 2-3 months, yellow after about 9- 1 year. Orange is generally around the 2 year mark.
      I hope to be testing for my green belt in the spring.
      And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

In my school, to go from white to green takes about 3-4 years. A little longer between belts from there on out.
        Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

I'm averaging about nine months in a rank, though some people progress faster (I was out with injuries for awhile). We have 5 belts before black. Its seems to take most people about 2-3 years to get to red (which preceeds black) then about another 2-3 years in red before testing (usually you're red for however long it took you to get there, 4+ total is pretty minnimum).

Comment

In my JJ school, we have testings every three months, but not everyone tests. I've been at yellow for more then a year now (training off and on). Black takes from 3-5 years; some guys take like 7 years, one guy took 13 months! But he was a JKD instructer already so it was a lot of review for him

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
            -Ghandi

Comment

I'm in a WT (well EDMAS technically) program and I you can get tested every 3-6 mo (Depending on when EB comes into town). However there are some things that make the passing more difficult. My Sihing has to approve each technique at the Student Level I'm attempting (some SL's have the same techniques but at differing levels of mastery). Once I have him approve all the techniques (and do the written component) then he approves me for testing with EB at the next seminar. Passing is pretty much automatic from there (well I should say that I've never seen anyone fail).

Comment

In my old ju jitsu club we were graded every 9 to 12 months, until our instructor saw his 2nd dan certificate being written out before he even did his grading. At which point he decided there just wasn't any point. A few years later he changed his mind and started grading again, but i don't think his heart was in it.
                At my aikido club, we got graded whenever our instructor remembered to. Which was every 6 months, give or take.

"The Andrew Ridgley of being beaten up"
                Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

Comment

Do you want to know how fast you progress through ranks, or how long it takes to actually learn a style effectively?

"Bert and Earnie...Odd Couple or gay couple...?"

Comment

bigjim,
                      shame on you for asking a reasonable style. Obviously he only is asking about promotions (though hopefully if you're not McDojo they're similar).

Comment

At my school we use the belt system, six belts under black. You get promoted when you are ready, there's no routine testing time. They look at you, say "Damn, when the hell did you improve?" Then they do a test that's moderatly difficult(but your ready for). Then you get your new belt. We don't pay for testing so it's not like the McDojos that test whenever they need more money. The belts not important, just your knowledge and ability. If you sit on your butt all day then you never advance, it's that simple.

Comment

I think a good grading should push you much more than your current level. I've frequently been tested to the next grade above the one I'm going for. It shows just how much you do know, especially under pressure.

"The Andrew Ridgley of being beaten up"
                          Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

At my old TKD McDojo, which I just stopped going to, you got promoted every 2 months and then once you hit the 3rd t last rank, every 4 months. there were 10 ranks under black.

The tests were so easy though, do a form, 4 kick combos, break a board, and know some Korean.

"Wrestlers need a lesson in submission, I'm the one to teach them." - Frank Shamrock

Comment

At my BJJ school though, rank is't evenan issue cause it takes like 6 years to get to blue (the first rank after white), and the school has olny existed for like 3 months.

"Wrestlers need a lesson in submission, I'm the one to teach them." - Frank Shamrock

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X