Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jsun102
    replied
    does anyone here train at an sbg in massachusetts?

Leave a comment:

• jkdbuck76
    replied
    Never personally trained at a SBG. Matt Thornton has been cordial and helpful whenever I have emailed him.

However, my PFS instructor wanted to evolve and he got many of the SBG tapes. He has incorporated the material, and more importantly, the training methodology and concepts! It has totally changed the class. Right now, we're working on the clinch. I suggest you train with SBG. Or, if you live out in the boonies like I do ( I think they filmed "Deliverance" near here), then get the tapes and train the concepts--the most important being "Aliveness".

But back to it, we had one guy who left the PFS club a year ago due to work. Life changed and he came back a month ago. He remarked that it was like being in a totally new and different class/curriculum. All that just by watching tape and incorporating concepts....

Leave a comment:

• Freddy
    replied
    Hey isnt there two post about SBG?

Leave a comment:

• Left-Hook
    replied
    The only BJJ I could find in eugene is the U of O BJJ, but in all honesty I don't want to train MA at a college because they tend to water it down.

Leave a comment:

• feedback
    replied
    Originally posted by Left-Hook
    I was checking out the hard knox boxing gym, but I can't find anything on the internet for ground work. IT PISSES ME OFF! but thanks for letting me know I will have to check that out. in fact I'm going to write that down, that is the name of the gym "Ryan Kelly's JKD" right?
    I believe it is. He teaches both a PAC class for U of O for free and then he has a school which you pay for. The training is much better directly at the school, so be sure to try that out.

Leave a comment:

• John.O.Brien
    replied
    Originally posted by Box Blast K.O.
    John Kavanagh is a wicked fighter, and Karl Tanswell at SBG Manchester is a a great coach. Although I'm not an SBG member, the majority of my trainning is done with group of SBG blue belts and I can tell you that they generally have very high standards.
    John Kav trains one of the guys that's in my weight catagory for the Irish MMA league. I've heard they do wonders up there, but we will see in a few weeks..

Leave a comment:

• Left-Hook
    replied
    I was checking out the hard knox boxing gym, but I can't find anything on the internet for ground work. IT PISSES ME OFF! but thanks for letting me know I will have to check that out. in fact I'm going to write that down, that is the name of the gym "Ryan Kelly's JKD" right?

Leave a comment:

• feedback
    replied
    Check our Ryan Kelly's JKD school if you're going to be in eugene. I've heard good things about it.

Leave a comment:

• Left-Hook
    replied
    I'm going to be moving back to oregon in a year or so, and I have been looking for good places to train. unfortunatly I'm moving to eugene not portland...I hate portland, but there is very few REAL MA training in eugene. I was thinking about maybe even checking out the Team Quest gym in gresham when I get down there.

Leave a comment:

• feedback
    replied
    Yeah, Tom Oberhue is the fucking man. Though, I went today to do Kali and I found out the class was closed - but there was another guy there for open gym so we rolled for about an hour and still got a bit out of it. I'd have been mad enough to start breaking some legs if I drove half an hour for nothing. >:(

Leave a comment:

• Zendetta
    replied
    PS I've also trained (once) with Tom Oberhue of the Beaverton gym, and once with Karl Tanswell, SBGI honcho from England. Both are hard working badasses - and very entertaining to boot.

Leave a comment:

• Zendetta
    replied
    I think SBG rocks. I did a Matt Thornton Seminar in Feb in Berkeley CA and it was the most fun I've ever had doing MA (The matburns have almost healed).

At risk of sounding like I'm sucking up to the sensei/guru/sifu, I gotta say that I feel like Matt's approach cuts to the heart of Martial Arts in regards to both philosophy and application.

He is hella opinionated, but also very open to continuing evolution - the developement of the Crazy Monkey techniques, for example. Plus, he's funny, trains hard, surfs, and has bitchin' taste in music (see the SBGI DVDs).

I really dig the SBGI paradigm (I train at an affiliated gym in Berkeley - moderncombatives.com). It is super effective and really freaking fun.

Leave a comment:

• feedback
    replied
    nm, found a schedule.
    Last edited by feedback; 6/14/2004 3:19pm, .

Leave a comment:

• blankslate
    replied
    I really feel a connection with the SBG. They seem to have great training and a great philosophy for the evolution of a fighting system.
    I would jump at the chance to train with them or at least train in the arts they seem to recommend. (ie Boxing, Savate, MT, Judo, Greco, BJJ, stick,knife)

I attended a seminar recently:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...794#post338794

Leave a comment:

• Blad3
    replied
    ttt

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X