Straight Blast Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight Blast Gym

I'm thinking of checking out a straight blast gym in my area and I want to know more about them. Are these guys as good as they sound? Anyone been to their schools? Their website talked a lot about mixed martial arts and they do BJJ and muay thai among other things, but I detected a little bit of street-vs-sport rhetotic which made me nervous.

Any comments appreciated, especially unrelated ones about cats with hands.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

They are pro-sport in that arguement. They believe to get street techniques, just "add dirt" to the sport and there you go.

Comment

Try asking Fernando or Sam Harbour.

Comment

They post here?

Comment

Matt Thornton has posted here. I would be very eager to train with them, you should check them out.
          Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Will do, hopefully they're open tommorow (sunday).

Comment

If they are, and if you check them out, please come back with a report. I'm always interested to read objective opinions about the SBG to see what people think. There are SBG nuthuggers and haters all over, but I don't get to read many truly objective opinions.

Comment

didnt know there was SBG hatas

Comment

which SBG? Let me know what you think.

the street vs sport is not really rhetoric but rather a reflection of our training.

Comment

SBG Ireland has a great reputation and their instructor, John Kavanagh, is one of the best fighters in the UK/Ireland area. From all the theory i've heard and of their opinions, they certainly know what they're on about and I think they have a very good philosophy.

Comment

I will be going to Manchester next week and will check out the SBG there, then give a write up.

Comment

John Kavanagh is a wicked fighter, and Karl Tanswell at SBG Manchester is a a great coach. Although I'm not an SBG member, the majority of my trainning is done with group of SBG blue belts and I can tell you that they generally have very high standards.

Comment

I'm checking out the school in Beaverton, Oregon, tommorow (Monday). I'll post a write-up.

Comment

Find out how much it would cost to host a Throwdown there.

Comment

Sun Tzu, another portland guy? Yeah cool I'll ask about a throwdown. About where do you live? We could meet up sometime and do a little training.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X