Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ or Sambo?

I got to choose a school to train in.

both are highly quilified schools with great instructors. the sambo school is about 3 minutes away from my house, the bjj school is about 30 and is a bit more expensive as well.

ive been told sambo would be better for alround fighting and jj would be better for ground work. can i get some openions to help me decide?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by ShowGun; 6/11/2004 4:12pm, .

Everyone who does sambo is a weak keyboard warrior.

This is a fact that only said weak keyboard warriors will deny.

PM omega about the sambo instructor.

Comment

Yeah, Omega is the one to talk to here.

Comment

Is there an option to do both? I wish there was a Sambo school around me.
        EX: Mon and Wed = Sambo, Tues and Thurs = BJJ

Comment

I would go with BJJ depending on your goals. Sambo is great but its rule structure is weak in my opinion. If your instructor doesn't make you roll according to sambos wacky rule structure then I would has sambo.
          "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simps76
            Is there an option to do both? I wish there was a Sambo school around me.
            EX: Mon and Wed = Sambo, Tues and Thurs = BJJ
            Unless you want to pay $200+ a month, then that's not really an option.

Comment

Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
              I would go with BJJ depending on your goals. Sambo is great but its rule structure is weak in my opinion. If your instructor doesn't make you roll according to sambos wacky rule structure then I would has sambo.
              First of all Dochter

:::middle finger:::

Second, Peedee be correct on this one. Unless I know the SAMBO instructor I tend not to vouch for most of them. A good sambo school will have the following:
              SAMBO style grappling with many throws.
              Freestyle gi grappling
              Freestyle no gi grappling
              Combat grappling/combat SAMBO sport rules-Stand up with striking ground fighting and throws. Think of it as MMA lite.
              Then true Combat SAMBO.

If this school isn't doing the above then I'd go to the BJJ school. By the way if you look outside there are cows flying. Check with hell, it has frozen over.

Comment

edit: never mind.

Comment

I will and I'll see you in vegas......muwahahhahahaahahaha.

Comment

thanks for your input guys, expecially Omgega.

I'll give sambo a try.

http://www.elitekombat.net/

here is their site

Comment

If crossing your legs bothers you and leg locks make you horny, try Sambo. If you want a to look like a walking advertisement and have fun bouncing your R's into H's, try BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by ShowGun
                        thanks for your input guys, expecially Omgega.

I'll give sambo a try.

http://www.elitekombat.net/

here is their site
                        Huh? What did I miss? Do you want to go to these guys because they have a MMA guy there? Try it out and make sure they're not doing pure sport SAMBO. Pure sport SAMBO sucks.

Comment

Shootfighting has a lot of Sambo in it (Sambo, JJ, and MT Kickboxing), which is how I have learned some of the moves from Sambo.

I have not learned Sambo by itself, but I love the leg techniques they have (i.e. neck cranks with the legs).

edit: Do the schools have introductory courses? You should ALWAYS try something out before making a commitment. Even if one style is 'better' in some respects, if the instructors are terrible (and use you as the practice dummy) then you are not going to get much for your money.

I say try them both, then decide.
                          Last edited by Warhogg; 6/14/2004 3:52pm, .

Comment

Its pretty obvious after reviewing the Website that the school dosent JUST focus on Sport Sambo , so thats not really that muh of an Issue ,

Even if the other school may be "Better" its prety obvious that theres a Decent Education to be found there , if they actually do it to it , which you can see the first visit . If its closer , and a lot cheaper , at leasst go there until you feel that they have nothing more to teach you , then move on .

Comment

Let's be really honest. If it's cheaper and only a few minutes from home, it will be easier to do. Not saying that should be the only consideration, but unless you're making a living at this I think it has to play into it. Making your training as hard as you can makes sense. Making your schedule and travel any harder at all doesn't make sense.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X