lovin teh judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lovin teh judo

had my second judo lesson the other day and as promised it was much more hard out than the previous week. we started off with some warm up stuff and then a few "games"- tag wrestling, where two people would fight on the mat while their team mates stood by the side ready to be tagged in, WCW style. this was so we could learn from watching the better people, how to control someone in a fight so they cant get away, and manage to get a decent scarf hold on a brown belt ;)
    then moved onto "tipping" or rolling people over onto their backs. of course after that we had to fight them, which unfortunately for me often meant being turned into a pretzel by some of the advanced guys.

after that we went on to randori sans ground fighting (just working the throws) which I felt I did ok at. a couple of the guys around my size tried to muscle through the throws against me cos im a skinny looking bugger, but they underestimated teh strength and i gave them a good slammin. got a good leg reap on a blue belt when he lifted one leg to reap me but i stepped back and kicked out his other leg. finally, we moved onto full fighting. I was almost dead at this stage, past the "spew point" as my MT coach calls it, but I still managed another basic pin and a few sweeps before again being turned into a pretzel by the blue belts VERY limber legs (seriously I had my head tucked right in but he still managed to whip it under my chin and wrench me off- this guy im sure could put his leg behind his head without using his arms)

so yeah, any tips for someone whos about 5'10, 140 pounds and new to judo? good throws? I had a bit of success with ko soto gake and o soto gari, but i just cant seem to use an o goshi on anyone who isnt standing still. for a basic move (first one i was taught) it seems damn hard to get into a position to use it.

For ogoshi go iniate the throw with your hips low then raise your hips as you are about to throw the guy so you lift the guy up....makes it easier to throw him.

Comment

www.judoinfo.com

Comment

yeah i know the mechanics, its getting into the position to pull it off. any quick ways to go from a free standing grapple to the starting point of the throw?

Comment

Its just practice.......most throws start with your feet infront of theirs with your back to them (duh)

Just practice the feet movement by grabbing on a tree or pole or something...its all about the feet.

Oh and try to fake a throw an then go to another throw(combos).

eg. Ippon Seonage to co uchigari.(sp?....my japanese spelling sucks)

Comment

I'm scared to try incorporating J throws into sparring. I guess I should, though. I'll definitely stick with the basics if I try it.
            MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
            "Fag."
            "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

drop Seonage is the good , forget what your coaches say about damaging your knees in the long run it owns as a throw.

Comment

Play with getting reactions from your partner. ie.Give alittle shove here and there to see if he tries to stabalize or shove back. When you get reactions try to "Catch/join" them to get the off balancing. Grip tight and relax your Delitoids when grip fighting. (this takes much practice)Use your body weight by push/pulling with your lower body via stepping than with your upper body (legs static). It takes time, but Kazushi (balance breaking) is the most important part prior to fitting the throw.

And Yes, Drop Seionage does own, that and Drop Tai Otoshi IMHO

Comment

When did Judo get blue belts?

Comment

dont know. says on that judoinfo (god site btw) that different countries use different colours, I guess NZ thought it would be nice to have blue. there was a big streamlining of MA in the 70s, which is why the kung fu I used to do had the same ranking system as most karate places.

Comment

My club uses blue belts for juniors only. Every club is different, I guess.

Comment

Went to my first Judo class last night... Was pretty damn cool. Learned a couple of throws, and a some crazy neck breaking ground maneuver. Also practiced falling a bit, i can feel it in my back now and my headaches heh.

Twas fun stuff even though I spent most of the time sectioned off from the rest of the class while they did all kinds of throws and ground techniques. Can't wait to start the good stuff.

Comment

A piping hot bath after Judo has become a ritual for me, it gets the back and headaches out like nothing else....exept better ukemi! heh

Drop seio nage is the guard pulling of sport Judo, and better suited to the short guys to boot.

As for O goshi, maybe you'll do like me and discover that it's really easy to do it when you're supposed to be learning Uki goshi! Seriously, getting the difference between Uki goshi and O goshi helped me to do the latter, although I have yet to pull it off in free randori (I'm brand new to this stuff too).

Oh, positioning...the best O goshi I've seen (newb, mind you) was at a tournament this weekend in the 9-10 year old boy's category. One contestant was super-agressive and charged the other at a low trot. Tori just twitched his hip a little for an ippon, it was badass. From grapple position, the blackbelts seem to pull down and take a step back, then go in with side-forward kuzushi.
                          I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X