Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

I am almost thinking twice on sending this thread....But screw it...here it goes

Is Genbukan a good way of learning Japanese Jiu-Jitsu ? They claim it on their site ( KJJR ) and what is exactly the difference between JJJ and BJJ ?

Please be gentle...I ran out of lubricants :-)

* Grabbing my ankles *

Japanese Jiujitsu from what I understand can vary a lot. One place I've seen focused extensively on standup grappling, locking and weapons, while another had strikes, standup locking, weapons and groundwork.

BJJ on the other hand focuses heavily on taking the opponent down and submitting them via choke or limb damage.

Sorry, can't help with the Genbukan question though.

Comment

I believe Genbukan is an offshoot of Bujinkan = NINJA!
      "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Comment

Thanks Zed.. for the reply...

I am asking because there is a Dojo close to the area, and since I do not have a clue on what to look for I am asking for feedback. ( yes...I did use the google tool ) but my familiarity in reality for JJJ is 0. I checked out a BJJ class over here by me but they focus extensivly on Groundfighting. I was thinking JJJ might be better in terms of balance of stand up and ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Te No Kage!
          Kind of, but it's a seperate organisation altogether.

JJJ is more rigid with more stand up fighting; BJJ is more fluid and flamboyant, but you have to get your ass humped by semi-naked men.
          Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
          Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

Originally posted by Te No Kage!
            Yes, that is true, however from what I have read in other forums they are far more respected. Is that true in your guys opinion ? Not to many MA forums like Bullshido to ask around on :-)
            Last edited by Muffdiver; 6/11/2004 6:48am, .

Comment

[i]JJJ is more rigid with more stand up fighting; BJJ is more fluid and flamboyant, but you have to get your ass humped by semi-naked men. [/B]
              The comment re: JJJ is very true in my admittedly limited experience. Expect lots of prearranged combinations at the beginning as a form of drills.

What kind of BJJ you been looking at? Flamboyant to the general public, I'd say no. To the slightly more educated peoples, exceedingly sweet when something is pulled off with beautiful efficiency.

When I saw Royce armbar my instructor, I finally understood what one of my old sensei meant by "It makes you want to go off and have a tug".

Not that I wanted to, but I understood his idea. ;)

Comment

The scuttlebut that I've heard is that they're (the Genbukan's) grading requirements are more stringent and uniform. Whereas the Bujinkan instructors can set pretty much any requirements they wish up to 5th dan, at which time you must test before either Hatsumi or someone serving as his acknowledged representative.

Comment

this might sound cliched, but its generally the teacher not the art. however BJJ schools tend to be much higher standard because its harder to advance in rank. I would recommend taking the bjj and doing something like boxing or muay thai to supplement your stand up striking, unless it is a good quality JJJ school that works both equally well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
                    I would recommend taking the bjj and doing something like boxing or muay thai to supplement your stand up striking, unless it is a good quality JJJ school that works both equally well.
                    I agree with you on the teacher being a big factor...
                    Also, I wish I had the time and the money to do 2 seperate arts, but I dont. So that is why I am trying to balance it all out in 1. Thanks for the tips...

Comment

Genbukan is a branch of Ninjutsu. It was started by Hatsumi-Sensei's senior student after they parted ways in what has been described as less than cordial. Bujinkan practioners are not allowed to practice with Jinenkan and Genbukan schools per Hatsumi's wishes.

I trained at a Genbukan school for about a year. The instructor was a very good martial artist and we did a lot of full-contact fighting, but that was because it was in his background. The Genbukan system seems to be a lot more formalized than Bujinkan and I think this produces a more consistent quality in the students. I also think they tend to train harder from the other Bujinkan schools I've seen.

As far as fighting goes, both styles use a lot of standing jointlocks and strikes. I studied the Bujinkan system after I moved and no Genbukan schools were around. Both systems seem to be pretty similar with how they move. Overall I don't think standing joint locks work very well against someone really resisting and trying to hurt you. If you're going there to learn JJJ you'll probably be OK, but again I don't think the core joint locking techniques work that well which leaves you with the striking techniques. Whether the stirking works is up for you to decide. For me, I wasn't impressed because in the Bujinkan you are basically discouraged from sparring.

I'd take BJJ before I took any form of Ninjutsu knowing what I know today.

P.S. Go over to www.e-budo.com and drop a message to John Lindsey. He has been doing Genbukan for years and I think runs that site. Also ask about the instructor to make sure they are legit.
                      Last edited by katana; 6/11/2004 8:06am, .

Comment

I am a Genbukan member and there are actually 3 main things you will find

1. Bujinkan material

2 The KJJR which is mainly are:
                        Hontai Takagi Yoshin ryu
                        Kukishin ryu
                        Asayama Ichiden ryu
                        Tatara Shinden ryu
                        Bokuden ryu
                        Yagyu Shingan ryu
                        Tenshin ryu
                        Itten Chukai ryu
                        Araki Shin ryu

3 CMA mainly Baqua but he is very serective about this. At on taikai he requested all video cameras to be turned off during the segement. I don't understand why.

Tanemura is an enclyopedia of JMA knowledge so if you ever get a chance pick his brain.
                        ______
                        Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                        -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                        The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                        -Daniel Tosh

Comment

how did the guy find time to learn all of that?

Comment

Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfucius
                              how did the guy find time to learn all of that?
                              There are a lot of people who are pretty sure he didn't.

If I remember correctly, Hatsumi only has actual evidence for training in two of those schools.

(I read about it on e-budo)
                              MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                              "Fag."
                              "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X