Changing schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing schools?

I've been training here www.combatcentres.com for the past 3 & 1/2 yrs, with a break of about 9mnths due to a hernia I got. But since I've been back (about 8 months) I think I've had two lessons with sifu. He's the head instructor of the academy and I just feel that even though he's a busy guy that it is his school and should probably be there a bit more. This is with going to lessons 3-4 times a week. the other instructors aren't bad but its just not the same as the way he teaches. I know he often takes certain classes during the week but due to work commitments I can't make it to those classes and they usually in one certain time frame.
    This along with a couple of other reasons I've been thinking of changing schools.
    There was a thread up about schools in sydney and was looking at http://www.graciesydney.com as a large possibility. It is just down the road from work I could train 4 nights a week and get home at a reasonable hour. Also I have found a guy who teaches judo down the road from my place on saturday afternoons and there is a boxing gym that I can get to easily, if I want to do some stand up stuff whenever.
    What do you guys reckon?
    "Pussyhole"

Usually when the head Sensei becomes more of an overseer than an instructor, it's time to jump ship. That was one of the many reasons why I left my last dojo, although the list is so long and detailed I won't hijack your thread with it.

To clarify: At my current school, Sensei Franco teaches the Karate class about 50% of the time I'm there and runs the BJJ class at least 80%. At my last school, my instructor taught our class less than 50% of the time and was frequently in meetings with parents and would answer the phone during the middle of our meetings. If anything about your Sifu is suddenly screaming "business first, class second" then start running.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 6/09/2004 8:54pm, .
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Yeah it just seems like he's not there much at all and if I do see him most of the time he's just taken a class and is leaving, or he'll take sparring for a half hour, he'll watch and talk to us after for 5 mins. It seems if you can't make it to day classes or late afternoon ones you don't get much of a chance.
      "Pussyhole"

Comment

yeah the bjj there is very high standard i used to train under Bruno. he's a really friendly guy too. plus i think rick spain is only like a blue belt level at bjj isnt he? Bruno is a black belt and theres heaps of good students there to roll with.
        Last edited by jonman3; 6/09/2004 10:46pm, .

Comment

plus as u work near there u could go to the day classes in your lunch hour if u wanted to.

Comment

Fingers I say go for it. I know where theat Gracie BJJ school is on Sussex St. It is expensive so you might just want to do Judo instead.
            Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Whats expensive? Money isn't too much an issue as long as its no too excessive.
              "Pussyhole"

Comment

Yeah Jonman he is only a blue belt, but he's got a lot of knowledge above and beyond that. And I could do a class in my lunch hour to if I wanted, could just slide it in.
                "Pussyhole"

Comment

i trained with bruno like 2 years ago and it was $100 a month. I'm sure its increased since then as bjj places are always increasing the price.

Comment

yeah i was just saying that if u go to bruno's school u will find many people better at bjj, and i know that rick spain is good at what he does.

Comment

go to tonights class okay. or you'll have to wait till monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so bored

Comment

Agreed, the problem is though like I said is I don't seem to be getting much instruction from him. I assume that Bruno takes all the classes?
                        Around a hundred a month is no problem, just going to let my contract run out in the next few months and I'll see where I'm at once thats done. But training there will make my life easier in terms of transport and time, as well sounds like top instruction.
                        "Pussyhole"

Comment

I got a bjj class at my school tonight so am just goin there for now.
                          "Pussyhole"

Comment

yes bruno took all the classes, plus i also got to roll with him sometimes. he isnt one of those instructors that thinks they are too divine or godly to associate with a lowly white belt.

Comment

whats the bjj class like? many high grades or all white belts?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X