Got pwned in grappling yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got pwned in grappling yesterday

As I said before, we do some grappling in my school, but yesterday was not my day. You see on thursday the classes are free, you can train in whatever you want, so I asked that we do a little grappling, unfortunaly for me the only 2 guys of my level are not the kind of person I should grapple in the street. See one is a clone of Kareem Abdul Jabar and the other one weight 60lbs more than me (I'm 140lbs btw). No need to say that when we started doing free grappling I got owned...

Then the instructor came and told us that a grappling position is not a good situation for a FSD student and that the school emphasized more on getting out of that range than trying submitting the opponent.

So here I am, asking you this... what is your plan A when you are in a grappling situation: keeping it in that range or trying to get out? And please feel free to give me personnal advices ( little info I'm 140lbs 5'7" not super strong but good stamina + my leg work on the groung sucks)

The fact that you got owned in grappling by two people who are bigger than you indicates you should do MORE grappling, not LESS. After all most of the people who pick fights are usually bigger than their victims.

Sometimes you don't have a choice on whether or not you're going to grapple the guy. If he decides to tackle you, then it's grappling. It's a two person equation.

I'd finish the fight in whatever way was the fastest and safest for me. If that means staying on the ground then I'd do that. If that means getting up on my feet I'd do that. It all depends. That's why you should know how to grapple, clinch, and strike. You never know what to expect.

Comment

I think it is silly to train only to avoid a situation, rather than training to deal with a situation if it should arise.

I've had the holy shit beat out of my by guys I out weigh by 80lbs.

Comment

it's true that our plan A is to avoid the situation, but we DO train in grappling situation, the only thing is that we will first try to get out of the grappling position when in one.

Comment

Well getting out is fine. But the situation you just described didn't seem to indicate you did much grappling and Fang Shen Do doesn't look like they focus on it very much.

So you tell me: Based on what happened to you yesterday would you feel comfortable if you were taken to the ground by someone in a fight?

If the answer to that question is "No" then it doesn't matter whether you do or don't want to be on the ground. The real problem is that you don't know what to do on the ground if you end up there. Which probably means you won't be able to get OFF the ground back to your feet. See?

Comment

the problem with the FSD system is that they try to do so much range thats it is very long before you can be good on them all, we got punching, kicking, trapping, grappling and weapons(kali), but the grappling part is seen in advanced rank, I'm a "new advance" student so those are my first grappling classes. BTW I don't see how a grappling position can be very confortable... But I do my best not to panic when I'm in one.

Comment

What about clinch? Or is that covered under grappling?
              "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
              West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
              (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

start biting whatever u can. thats what i would do.

Comment

carry some tabasco sauce in ur pocket wherever u go. Trust me it will help especially with the sweaty ones.

Comment

Originally posted by bunyip
                    What about clinch? Or is that covered under grappling?
                    The line between all ranges is thin, I would say that clinch is somewhere between trapping techniques and grappling.

Comment

But you do train it?
                      "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
                      West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
                      (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

I feel very vulnerable to third parties in a ground-fighting scenerio. I want to improve my skills on the ground, but my intention would be to escape the ground as quickly as possible, ideally maintaining some kind of control while doing so. I'm a fan of standing pins of a grounded opponent, where I am mobile and free to respond to other threats.

Of course to effectively practice getting out of a ground-fighting range you need to be training with good groundfighters, and being as popular as it is I think it's important to develop a good understanding of it even if you would prefer not to use it; at least then you are making an honest choice rather than making up bullshit excuses to yourself for avoiding it.

Comment

well yes, yesterday we started by doing a drill where both oponents have their 2 hands locked behind each other neck, one inside the other outside. Its hard to explain without images, but the goal is to get in a position where you got the advantage. At the begining you do clinch and grappling separatly, but higher lvls ( brown and black belts) will do this in one exercice.

Comment

Id suggest working on your sprawl and brawl, in that case. Train in things like using the clinch to keep you on your feet, breaking the clinch, and learning to stant up from a ground fighting situation.

Comment

Originally posted by fang shen do
                              well yes, yesterday we started by doing a drill where both oponents have their 2 hands locked behind each other neck, one inside the other outside. Its hard to explain without images, but the goal is to get in a position where you got the advantage.
                              Sounds like a basic neck clinch drill. Good drill, very usefull. Learn it well and you can put lots of knees into people.

At the begining you do clinch and grappling separatly, but higher lvls ( brown and black belts) will do this in one exercice.
                              You mean, clinch, then takedown, followed by groundwork? When I think of clinch, I think of standup grappling, and when I think grappling, I think on the ground(I know, I know, this isn't entirly accurate). Just wondering what you are actually doing.
                              Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X