american kempo? mcdojo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

american kempo? mcdojo?

so i find out a guy I know (not really a friend, hes this chubby nerd guy who quotes jay and silent bob like scripture) has started training at this new kempo karate club in town every tuesday (only every tuesday cos there isnt enough people apparently) and they're having a demonstration tomorrow. he asks me to come. I dont have much to do tomorrow anyway soI agreed to go. questioned him a bit though, and a few unfortunate things came out, including the classic "a lot of what we do is straight self defense- lots of real lethal stuff, ya know"

asked him about grappling, said they dont do much. so yeah im not expecting great shakes from this place. Im thinking of going there on tuesday to put my beak in, maybe get jiggy wid the class. he did say they do 1/2 to an hour of sparring every lesson though. not that this bodes particularly well, if you can spar stand up for an hour straight you probably need to put in a bit more effort. especially if you're this pudgy fellow who came about 4th from last in the school cross country. report back tomorrow afternoon on the demonstration (I have NO idea what they are demonstrating, but apparently they dont do much of that "classical shit" so it should be interesting at least)

Cool. This is what it is all about. I wish there were more McDojo's here to bust on . . .

Actually, the German equivalent of the ATA is the EWTO . . . but that's a story for another thread.

Comment

First off, if it's true AK, it's not spelled with an M. It's KeNpo. Secondly, OF COURSE there's not a lot of grappling, it's a striking art!

Comment

yeah that sentence didnt come across well. I wasnt equating the non grapple with crapiness. and i had a suspicion it was kenpo, but the pamphlet is in my car and its dark outside.

Comment

That being said, I've only "met" a small number of kenpoists from New Zealand, but if they're from Larry Tatum's lineage, then I'm willing to bet you'll be impressed. Check out the number of groin shots LOL ... AK does quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptShady
            First off, if it's true AK, it's not spelled with an M. It's KeNpo. Secondly, OF COURSE there's not a lot of grappling, it's a striking art!
            Depending on the lineage will determine the spelling of Kenpo. There are both K-E-M-P-O schools and K-E-N-P-O schools. Same meaning, different spellings. For all you know the guy may be an offshoot of Mitose's Kempo. Who knows. Good luck in the demo.
            Jeremy M. Talbott

Originally posted by Phrost
            "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
            Originally posted by D.Murray
            "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
            Originally posted by hangooknamja88
            My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

Damn it I was going to start a thread on AK/Mcdojo, and you beat me to it.
              From my experience (3-4 years) I would say it is McDojo. The group I trained with had stripped grappling out of Kenpo completely becasue it's "not effective in t2h str33t". I think the term "Mechanized attack squad" applies greatly to AK and the majority (not all) the self defense techniques are useless. We trainned countless techniques on how to defend from a "step through straight right punch" (you know the ones that are normally delivered with a KIA!!) which ofcourse is the most common technique used to assault some one in t3h str33t!!!!

e.g. http://www.satans.barber.dsl.pipex.c...eo/kenpo_6.avi

There is an awful amount of slapping and stamping invovled when executing these techniques and a lot of "in theory" tpye methodologies i.e. you strike this pressure point here and he bends over then you hit him here then he turns this way, so you hit him here etc. Everyone at the school where I trained had no concept of what happens in a real fight, they would say stuff like "If I was fighting someone who does boxing, when he throws a right hook, I would do 'Five Swords' and beat him".....hmmm. The sparring was piss poor and they do "Forms" which apparently according to them, is not the same as "Kata".

It does seem to be a system that attracts soft as shit geeks e.g. this guy here (Fear him!!!!)

http://www.satans.barber.dsl.pipex.c...Reel2.divx.avi

And as for Larry Tatum

http://www.ltatum.com/movies/Week22/...eekMedW22.html

The guy with Larry Tatum demonstrates how not to mount and GnP. Look at the space he leaves for fucks sake, you could sneeze and this guy would fall of you.

and more slapping here

http://www.akki.com/_videos/vidclip298/Mov00298a.mpg

Comment

oh yeah, then theres this if you have a spare 45mins

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2479293

although I can not be held acountable for you loosing 45mins of your life if you do watch it. This is one of the worst short films I have ever seen, apparently it won an award, but obviously not for it's sound design or music.

Comment

Interesting. A Tatum black belt member of this board out in California has given when and where he trains, and said he's open to all challengers. No one's stepped up to cry bullshido there! Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by miguksaram
                    Depending on the lineage will determine the spelling of Kenpo. There are both K-E-M-P-O schools and K-E-N-P-O schools. Same meaning, different spellings. For all you know the guy may be an offshoot of Mitose's Kempo. Who knows. Good luck in the demo.
                    True AMERICAN kenpo is NOT spelled with an M. Not ever.

Comment

my few kenpo experiences have been so horrible i still have flashbacks and nightmares of someone doing "eagle claws the snake" which causes me to wake up and go take a scalding shower

Comment

Don't forget the "five swords"...

Comment

First McDojo is different than bullshido. McDojo deals with the overcommerialization of martial arts and the lowering of standards for the sake of excess profits. Bullshido deals with false claims, uninvalid fighting theories, and fraud. School's can be McDojo's but entire arts can be bullshido.

I have 2nd Degree BB in American Kenpo and have written numerous posts on what I think about it.

Here is on of the best ones.
                          http://bullshido.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=9174

In a nutshell, I believe American Kenpo is a strategically flawed, incomplete art that is trained in an totally unrealistic manner. That makes it bullshido.

I've seen some good American Kenpo guys, but I've seen a whole lot more bad ones.

As far as American Kenpo goes, Larry Tatum is the best of the best. The guy buys way too much into his own ego and hype, but the guy can fight.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptShady
                            Interesting. A Tatum black belt member of this board out in California has given when and where he trains, and said he's open to all challengers. No one's stepped up to cry bullshido there! Why is that?
                            The guy ( what is his name again?) looks like a biker and it's true, no one has jumped at the chance to show him up.
                            "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

ah yes, the one and only Clyde

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X